• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Volspeed tuning box for Bosch gen 4

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
CX2020 on the original firmware...

I tend to stick to 32km/h but did a 50km ride recently with the limit set to 44km/h. Bike performed superbly on the fast runs with no error seen. Though I'm happy around town with the 32-35km/h limit.

Last edited:

Fuzz

Jun 2, 2020
Yarrahapinni, NSW, Australia
Hi All, I've done 1400kms on my 2020 CX Gen 4 firmware 1.1.0.0 no errors, and yesterday fitted the Volspeed V3. (it took 3 weeks to arrive in Australia). Fitting very simple, set limit to 55kmh and went for a blast. Only did 13kms, but no errors, quite fun. Used 25% of a 625Wh battery, climbing 200m. I couldn't resist setting it high, cruises easily at 45kmh on flat road. All with my 18kg daughter on her Shotgun Seat in front of me. So it appears, the Volspeed doesn't adversely affect range all that much. I bought this dongle to have some fun, so I'll keep it set high, and report how it goes. Very early days, but the experience is really good, it feels like what I dreamt of as a kid...

Magnum

Jul 23, 2020
Sweden
Good to know is there any consensus on this? Would others agree lower speeds are safer? I see Daniel H has it at 38kph Can anyone else confirm this? Id be happy to stick at 35 or better 38 for a trouble free ride.
There have been speculations that higher speeds are associated with the error 504 before on the forum, but I don't think there is consensus about it. It seems that those who set their speeds relatively low don't get the error as much, from what I have seen on the forum. I myself have had great results with 35km/h.

Anything above 25km/h is very much appreciated. I think 35km/h is very enjoyable and a good balance between decent speeds and battery life. I wouldn't mind going up to ~40km/h some times if I knew that it was safe and won't trigger the anti tuning software. It would be very good to know exactly what speeds that will work with Volspeed v.3.

From my experience 35km/h works. And Daniel H had his set around 50km/h when he got the error, which means that was too high. It would be interesting to know if he has good results with 38km/h. Maybe it's speeds closer to 50km/h that trigger something in the motor to go into limp mode. Maybe it's something else, who knows.

Magnum

Jul 23, 2020
Sweden
Hi All, I've done 1400kms on my 2020 CX Gen 4 firmware 1.1.0.0 no errors, and yesterday fitted the Volspeed V3. (it took 3 weeks to arrive in Australia). Fitting very simple, set limit to 55kmh and went for a blast. Only did 13kms, but no errors, quite fun. Used 25% of a 625Wh battery, climbing 200m. I couldn't resist setting it high, cruises easily at 45kmh on flat road. All with my 18kg daughter on her Shotgun Seat in front of me. So it appears, the Volspeed doesn't adversely affect range all that much. I bought this dongle to have some fun, so I'll keep it set high, and report how it goes. Very early days, but the experience is really good, it feels like what I dreamt of as a kid...
The 504 error usually shows up after 200-300 kms from my experience. Keep us updated. Do you even get up to 55km/h with your bike? My bike has very slow tyres on it. On a plain road, and with my motor completely unrestricted I manage to hit 50km/h if I try hard. It is fast.

StevEmtb

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
Great to get the general feedback thanks! I have a e gravel bike coming this week from Canyon Grail:ON CF 8. It weighs 16.5KG with the Bosch Gen 4 85NM with 50mm tyres so it'll be fast . I didn't derestrict my Trek Rail as off road I didn't really miss the higher motor speeds but with this machine on Fire roads and tarmac Im going to take the plunge. Im going to order Volspeed tonight ! Ill stick to around 35kph to start I think, i'll keep you all posted when I install etc

Magnum

Jul 23, 2020
Sweden
Great to get the general feedback thanks! I have a e gravel bike coming this week from Canyon Grail:ON CF 8. It weighs 16.5KG with the Bosch Gen 4 85NM with 50mm tyres so it'll be fast . I didn't derestrict my Trek Rail as off road I didn't really miss the higher motor speeds but with this machine on Fire roads and tarmac Im going to take the plunge. Im going to order Volspeed tonight ! Ill stick to around 35kph to start I think, i'll keep you all posted when I install etc
That bike looks insane. You'll probably be fine with 35km/h, as it will help you push out the rest with your legs more easily. I have to work my ass off to get up to 40km/h with my heavy fat tyre mountainbike. :D

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh

Sweet ride! 16.7kg and a CX motor sounds fun! Puts my 39kg R&M Supercharger 2 to shame! ?

StevEmtb

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
Sweet ride! 16.7kg and a CX motor sounds fun! Puts my 39kg R&M Supercharger 2 to shame! ?
? Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 22.47.52.png

Fuzz

Jun 2, 2020
Yarrahapinni, NSW, Australia
The 504 error usually shows up after 200-300 kms from my experience. Keep us updated. Do you even get up to 55km/h with your bike? My bike has very slow tyres on it. On a plain road, and with my motor completely unrestricted I manage to hit 50km/h if I try hard. It is fast.
Yeah, only get to 55kmh + down hills to be honest, just wanted to see if it coped really. I'm hedging my bet that it's the km correction that got Daniel unstuck. I'm leaving my display on to turn off by itself, and throwing caution to the wind. Fortune favours the bold they say. I have gotten to 72kmh down a decent hill (with my daughter shrieking with glee up front ;) ). I won't get to do any riding until the weekend, but will keep you all posted, cheers.

Spanner Monkey

Jul 27, 2020
Bournemouth
On my ride yesterday I experienced my first error code, thankfully only a 510 which reset with a power down and no further problems for the remaining 25 miles of the ride.
hopefully nothing to do with the volspeed box.
for info its a cx gen 4 with latest software update and just under 500 miles on the clock of which 450 were done since de restricting,
I mostly run my speed limit at around 30 mph.

Magnum

Jul 23, 2020
Sweden
On my ride yesterday I experienced my first error code, thankfully only a 510 which reset with a power down and no further problems for the remaining 25 miles of the ride.
hopefully nothing to do with the volspeed box.
for info its a cx gen 4 with latest software update and just under 500 miles on the clock of which 450 were done since de restricting,
I mostly run my speed limit at around 30 mph.
Interesting. 30 mph is 48km/h. And you have gone more than 700km without the 504 error with that setting. Good to know.

Spanner Monkey

Jul 27, 2020
Bournemouth
I vary the speed limit every now and then depending on the ride im doing, I sometimes lower it a bit to save the battery on longer rides but generally leave it around 30 mph, im not convinced the speed limit is in any way related to the 504 code. That seems to be a theory thats just evolved from hearsay as far as I can tell.

Magnum

Jul 23, 2020
Sweden
I vary the speed limit every now and then depending on the ride im doing, I sometimes lower it a bit to save the battery on longer rides but generally leave it around 30 mph, im not convinced the speed limit is in any way related to the 504 code. That seems to be a theory thats just evolved from hearsay as far as I can tell.
Yes, that's correct, it's speculation only. I hope you're right.

StevEmtb

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
according to George from ebiketuner the spplier in another thread when I asked about keeping the speed down. Quote: Thanks for ordering! Yes the VOLspeed is compatible with the latest software. In terms of speed it doesn't make a difference whether you set it to 30kmh or 50kmh.

Daniel H

Jul 8, 2020
Denmark
85Km later - and today i got the 504 error again. I wonder what i'm doing wrong/doing that makes me get theese errors so often?
Speed limit set to 40 Km/h. But i was only doing 36km/h when the error appeared - and i'm rarely riding "max power". I tend to always use the "turbo" mode. Maybe thats the part where i'm doing wrong? :)
FW: 1.1.2.0

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Maybe y
85Km later - and today i got the 504 error again. I wonder what i'm doing wrong/doing that makes me get theese errors so often?
Speed limit set to 40 Km/h. But i was only doing 36km/h when the error appeared - and i'm rarely riding "max power". I tend to always use the "turbo" mode. Maybe thats the part where i'm doing wrong? :)
Maybe you're not doing anything wrong - maybe the bosch software can just detect the volspeed derestricting the motor? I suspect that bosch are measuring the power draw of the motor and averaging it out over miles ridden, and if the average power per mile goes over a threshold that they have specified then they trigger the 504 error.

For what its worth , from investigating all the options, my view is that the speedbox has the best chance of not triggering the 504 error because they're doing something (the countdown) to try and make the motor think its not being tampered with, I suspect they are sending speed sensor pulses to the system even when the bike is stationary to make it think that its rolling along but with no power drain on the motor in order to lower the average power drain per mile (or something like this) , but until more people have used the speedbox over more miles and we get more data we cant be certain that any of these devices work properly.

I wont be derestricting mine for a while because none of the derestriction device manufacturers can guarantee that they can do it without triggering the 504 error.

gasss

Aug 11, 2020
Barcelona

your case is very strange, I am very sorry to hear it, I was 1200km with speedbox without any problem apart from the annoying countdown, now I have 350km with volspeed and at the moment neither any problem (I will cross my fingers), I have used it at 32, 36 and 42km/h, not all the time because I use the bike mainly for enduro but I do from time to time every ride, even most of the times i have turned it off directly without waiting for it to turn off by itself as recommended in the manual (I did not know it, i read it here a few weeks ago that they recommended doing it)

the only thing different between us is the firmware version, I am still on 1.1.0.0, just in case I won't update to 1.1.2.0 that would not be the problem

i wish you good luck and don't stop informing us

Last edited:

Rawnei

Jul 28, 2020
Sweden
Maybe you're not doing anything wrong - maybe the bosch software can just detect the volspeed derestricting the motor? I suspect that bosch are measuring the power draw of the motor and averaging it out over miles ridden, and if the average power per mile goes over a threshold that they have specified then they trigger the 504 error.

I don't know about that, I mean what if you have a long trip going on an upwards incline that will need more power naturally, chipped or not, that would not be a good way to detect a modification would give you false positives.

After having built my own 750w bafang bike and started riding EUC's with 2000w+ motors which have both higher top speeds and much much faster acceleration than an ebike the 25km/h limit just feels like a more and more ridiculous limit to have.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I don't know about that, I mean what if you have a long trip going on an upwards incline that will need more power naturally, chipped or not, that would not be a good way to detect a modification would give you false positives.

and thats exactly what the previous version of the bosch firmware was doing ,ie flagging up completely unmodified motors with a 504 error , my guess is that they relaxed the threshold a little in the next firmware.

Its only guess work on my part, but it seems to fit with what we're seeing.

StevEmtb

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
I removed the volspeed before service/update.
I don't know what's new - but I have Google that it should have something to do with the new generation of displays. But I doubt bosch would tell, if they have made any changes to the "deristrict-detection".

Have you spoken to Volspeed about your 504? Kind of worrying that your getting it

Spanner Monkey

Jul 27, 2020
Bournemouth
504 is an overheating error isn’t it ?
I don’t see how tuning will affect temperature of the internals as the output is not changed as far as torque and peak watts are concerned just the speed limit is lifted.

Rawnei

Jul 28, 2020
Sweden
504 is an overheating error isn’t it ?
I don’t see how tuning will affect temperature of the internals as the output is not changed as far as torque and peak watts are concerned just the speed limit is lifted.

All the error codes are in the manual (can find it online). ?

504 Manipulation of the speed sensor de-tected. Check the position of the spoke magnet and adjust it if re-quired. Check for signs of manipulation (tuning). The assistance of the drive is reduced.

Daniel H

Jul 8, 2020
Denmark
Status-update on my latest 504 error.

I took the bike to the shop, and told them a little white lie. :) Of course i didn't know anything of why the motor was in "error 504 mode".
The motor/display had at some point detected a max speed of 71 km/h - I have never been riding so fast :) So I used that as a excuse, and asked if maybe the sensor could be faulty?

they took the bike in for service and ran some tests. Now they have called me, and told me that the motor have to be replaced with a new one from Bosch. The shop had been in contact with bosch and shown them the logs from the motor (here my pants started shaking - now i was sure my little lie was exposed). But Bosch want the motor to be replaced with a new - saying that there was something wrong with it?

I don't know if there actually is an error in the motor, or if my little lie was so convincing that Bosch didn't know what ells to do? (yes - i'm a little embarresed, but i hope that in this forum, people understand why i did and said what i did. :))

I will deffently keep the speed limit on 30-32 when i get the bike back. If i get one more 504 i guess thats it for me. Bosch wins - I lose (and bosch will never get a e-bike purchase from me again). :)

I hope all of this makes sense. Sorry for grammatical errors and spelling mistakes

telflynn

Sep 22, 2020
peterborough
Bought a new Cube Kathmandu 625 a couple of weeks ago, 2021 model with the 85nm upgrade pre-installed, Software version 1.1.0.0. Added the VolSpeed V3 straight away and set speed to 48kmph (30mph). So far travelled 500 km (310 miles), all with speed assist on and in 'Turbo' mode. Normally cycle between 30 to 35 kmph (18-22 mph), with an occasional speed burst. Will update in another 500km, or if I get the dreaded 504 error. So far, no issues.

Long overdue update, nearly a year on since I fitted the VolSpeed-3, over 3000 miles and no errors whatsoever. Mostly cycled at speeds between 20-25mph.

Last edited:

Magnum

Jul 23, 2020
Sweden
Very sad to see this. I've had the Volspeed v.3 for more than 1,5 months now with no error (Firmware 1.1.0.0). Speed limit has been set at 35km/h most of the time but for the last week or so I've been using it at 38km/h. I never use turbo mode (mostly eMTB), and I never turn off the Purion display manually. It either turns off by itself or when I remove the battery for charging. It would really suck to get the error, I feel very sorry for you. You've had more than 3 strikes now, yes? Did you have to go to the bike shop after 3 strikes or is it possible to ride it off as usual? Also are you sure the magnet was placed correctly on the wheel? If incorrectly placed it could trigger the error.

Last edited:

Daniel H

Jul 8, 2020
Denmark
Very sad to see this. I've had the Volspeed v.3 for more than 1,5 months now with no error (Firmware 1.1.0.0). Speed limit has been set at 35km/h most of the time but for the last week or so I've been using it at 38km/h. I never use turbo mode (mostly eMTB), and I never turn off the Purion display manually. It either turns off by itself or when I remove the battery for charging. It would really suck to get the error, I feel very sorry for you. You've had more than 3 strikes now, yes? Did you have to go to the bike shop after 3 strikes or is it possible to ride it off as usual? Also are you sure the magnet was placed correctly on the wheel? If incorrectly placed it could trigger the error.
I'm on firmware 1.1.2.0, but as you i never turned the display off manually. Strange that the anti-tunning detection differ so much.
Think i will try with speed limit set to around 32 km/h for a while, when i get the bike back.

It was my third strike yes - I actually don't know if i could ride it of. I didn't try. i just took the bike straight to the bikeshop (have a free service agreement included).
I'm pretty sure the magnet was placed correct - using the indicator on the sensor. :)

I'm starting to hope, that my engine/detection actually was faulty, since Bosch wanted the shop to return the engine and replace it with a new.

hannu

Aug 9, 2019
FIN
Is it so with Volspeed you shouldn't turn off the bike immediately, but wait for it to turn off by itself? I didn't see any mention about this in the manual.

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
I don't think it's documented to do that but some do as it's what you do on the Speedbox. I've done a mix of power down or pulling off the display while switched on and not had any I'll effect. Doesn't do any harm to switch off once you have locked bike etc to give it a minute or so.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles