• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Volspeed tuning box for Bosch gen 4

Brutal Deluxe

Aug 20, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
Got out for my first ride with the volspeed v3 installed. Pretty awesome, as others have said if the bikes came with the 32km/h restriction over the 25km/h I would bother derestricting it.
I felt 32km/h was nice but really anything over was unnecessary. Maybe 35 max. Well this is on my XL Scott Genius eRide dual suspension. Was quite amusing ripping past my fair share of gravel bikes haha

Reactions: Flo

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
i have a Scott strike eride 930 with volspeed v3, 43km/h speed limit. My firmware is old 1.0.2.0 and i don't know what benefits it will do the last version of software. I don't want to loose the posibility to use my deristricted bike at high speeds because i understand from the other guys that the new firmware versions it will decrease the speed limit if you want to be error free. You have right with a 33 km speed limit, but it's nice to set higher because is very easy if you need it . What rear shock do you have on your bike ? i can't find service kit for my Xfusion (you found it or you have a Fox shock?) and no battery cover to (because i bought the second battery). Because my ebike is an allroads model i don't want to attach a 500w battery on the frame with rage extender. I can stop and change my battery. And for that money i gain 125w extra and an internal battery who for me is more secure.

Brutal Deluxe

Aug 20, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
i have a Scott strike eride 930 with volspeed v3, 43km/h speed limit. My firmware is old 1.0.2.0 and i don't know what benefits it will do the last version of software. I don't want to loose the posibility to use my deristricted bike at high speeds because i understand from the other guys that the new firmware versions it will decrease the speed limit if you want to be error free. You have right with a 33 km speed limit, but it's nice to set higher because is very easy if you need it . What rear shock do you have on your bike ? i can't find service kit for my Xfusion (you found it or you have a Fox shock?) and no battery cover to (because i bought the second battery). Because my ebike is an allroads model i don't want to attach a 500w battery on the frame with rage extender. I can stop and change my battery. And for that money i gain 125w extra and an internal battery who for me is more secure.
Hey, I've got a Fox shock on my Scott Genius eRide 920 so can't help you with your Xfusion unfortunately

Brutal Deluxe

Aug 20, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
Up to 672km (420 miles) and yet to have an error code. I've tended to spending most of my time in "Tour" mode (mostly to save battery), but I feel it keeps the total watt output down of the motor, which may lead to no error codes?

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Maybe some truth to that, but hard to draw definite conclusions from the reviews I've read. I've ridden 2,500 miles without an error code, mainly in tour but more recently many in EMTB. I never really use Turbo.

I think the key thing is setting a reasonable max speed (mines been set to 24mph since installing).

People setting higher speeds seem to be more susceptible to hitting error codes and perhaps if you had a higher speed setting and Turbo mode it could be more likely, but hard to say on the evidence I've read.

I read all the reviews of all the different options for the Bosch Gen 4 before making my purchase and couldn't be happier with the Volspeed. Definitely the best upgradeI've made to the bike.

gothic_fan

Sep 3, 2021
bulgaria
Hello guys! I have Bosch Performance CX Gen 4, Ver. 1.1.0.0 on Bulls Sonic 2021 , waiting for my Volspeed on monday. I will set 60 km/h max speed, and will report later the result. The weather here is awful, I hope for more sunny days soon. See you later! 😇

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
Great ! You can mantain 60km/h speed ? Because i have 34 tooth with 12 speeds and i can mantain 40km/h when is no a windy day. After 45km/h i pedal in vain.

gothic_fan

Sep 3, 2021
bulgaria
Great ! You can mantain 60km/h speed ? Because i have 34 tooth with 12 speeds and i can mantain 40km/h when is no a windy day. After 45km/h i pedal in vain.

My previous bike was Cube Reaction Hybrid 2016, Bosch 75Nm , reached speed of 55 km/h on flat (but not maintained) with motor ON. So I hope to beat that with this new bike. 🚴‍♂️

gothic_fan

Sep 3, 2021
bulgaria
For now the chip is great, 55km/h on flat, I think it can make 60 downhill. The consumption is good too, all in TURBO mode, from battery full.

252726850_10224160477933940_897128382993952963_n.jpg

249486683_10224160478133945_4457951732447247621_n.jpg

zizzer

Nov 29, 2021
Melbourne
Hi all,

Firstly thanks to everyone sharing their experiences, very helpful for those of us trying to sort out best options available for a reliable set up.

I'm hoping for some advice - I am upgrading bikes and trying to decide between 2: the AVE TH11 (bosch perfomance cx gen 2) and the Moustache xroad 3 (bosch performance cx gen 4). Obviously there is a difference quality/tech between the generations, but all things weighed up, either could be a good option for me.

The advice I've had from someone who knows much more than myself in this area is that the gen 2 is going to be more reliable with the volspeed working without throwing up an error. Their rationale: the speed tampering recognition is not as advanced, and also that the older gen will not recieve the same kinds of regular updates trying to stamp out modification.

Does this sound correct? aside from this advice I was leaning towards the gen 4 - mainly use my bike for commuting, so basically getting from a to b along Melbourne bike paths as quickly as I can (safely) get away with.

Thanks again.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Does this sound correct? aside from this advice I was leaning towards the gen 4
I'd 100% go for the Gen4.

It's far more efficient and a better design of motor - they got rid of the silly sub shaft and tiny chainring. They also pretty much took care of any of the existing reliability issues/water/dirt ingress problems (you still shouldn't jet wash it). It's also smaller, lighter and more powerful.

The volspeed appears to work without problems for most people, as long as you don't de-restrict to higher speeds (above 45kph) and let it turn itself off when you finish your ride (so it can calibrate the motor data).

They also do the V4 now with some improvements. You can set different speed limits in different modes and I believe - regulate the power levels in different modes. It does however limit you to 45kph max.

DubbyMcDubs

Nov 14, 2021
Sydney
Anyone know what the best pricing is for the V4? Best I have found so far, with free shipping, is:

Last edited:

zizzer

Nov 29, 2021
Melbourne
I'd 100% go for the Gen4.

It's far more efficient and a better design of motor - they got rid of the silly sub shaft and tiny chainring. They also pretty much took care of any of the existing reliability issues/water/dirt ingress problems (you still shouldn't jet wash it). It's also smaller, lighter and more powerful.

The volspeed appears to work without problems for most people, as long as you don't de-restrict to higher speeds (above 45kph) and let it turn itself off when you finish your ride (so it can calibrate the motor data).

They also do the V4 now with some improvements. You can set different speed limits in different modes and I believe - regulate the power levels in different modes. It does however limit you to 45kph max.

Thanks for that - the gen 2 is fitted to a bike with shimano XT groupset and magura MT4 brakes.

The gen 4 bike has Deore groupset and shimano mt200 brakes.

I have very little knowledge in this stuff - but am told the gen 2 bike -aside from the electronics- is a better bike.

Does that info change ur advice, or still think the gen 4 for the stated reasons?

Thnx

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The one thing you can't upgrade is the motor. Get the Gen 4.

I've had both and the Gen 4 is far, far superior.

zizzer

Nov 29, 2021
Melbourne
Happy to report back the volspeed 4 works great!

The manual is all in german though, so I wondered if anyone here knew:
... my understanding is the volspeed tricks the bike into thinking your still riding once you finish, which is why you leave it on, to get around the derestriction speed/kms travelled?

1. How can you tell when it's completed 'catching up' after you finish riding?
2. Can you plug it in to charge during this time, or would that stop it from properly 'tricking' the bike?

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
Happy to report back the volspeed 4 works great!

The manual is all in german though, so I wondered if anyone here knew:
... my understanding is the volspeed tricks the bike into thinking your still riding once you finish, which is why you leave it on, to get around the derestriction speed/kms travelled?

1. How can you tell when it's completed 'catching up' after you finish riding?
2. Can you plug it in to charge during this time, or would that stop it from properly 'tricking' the bike?
From what I've read on here, that only applies to speedbox.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
From what I've read on here, that only applies to speedbox.
I think it's the same on the volspeed.

You just leave it to turn itself off when it's finished - which is longer than it would be to turn itself off without the volspeed turned on.

Probably want to let the battery cool a little before you charge it anyway, but if you did plug it in to charge I think that would stop the procedure as the bike re-boots into charging mode.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
is this just Volspeed 4? I know for the 3 this is not the case. It is a reason to purchase over the speedbox.
I thought it was like that for the V3 ? I know after a ride I'e seen it shuffling all sorts of strange numbers on the display. Maybe it depends how fast/far you've ridden and how much it thinks it still needs to compensate the data ?

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
I thought the leaving it to run on was only for speedbox too.
I've always turned my bike off immediately with the volspeed running never had any problems.....well over a thousand miles with it now.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think it all depends on how fast you've ridden, how far and how long. Most of the time it will have compensated on the fly as you're riding.

However : From the manual (excuse the crap picture). It's referring to if you remove the module, but the principle is the same, it compensates then turns itself off.

1638984608919.png

I'm pretty sure mine was on for a while after this and I thought I saw it displaying different numbers (I was drinking beer then though), it had a top up charge part way through so would have been off and on then.

Screenshot 2021-12-08 18.28.17.png

Who knows. I just leave the bike on and always let it turn itself off, but then I don't always turn the volspeed on.

dschae1

Jul 20, 2021
Texas
I've just joined you all, derestricting my "second hand / no warranty" Rail 7 with a Volspeed 4 tuner. I did a mini test ride (1/2 mile?) and exceeded the US 20mph limit (up to 24?). It felt great even though it was a little cold tonight for riding. I look forward to a longer trip tomorrow or the next time the weather warms up.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
I've just joined you all, derestricting my "second hand / no warranty" Rail 7 with a Volspeed 4 tuner. I did a mini test ride (1/2 mile?) and exceeded the US 20mph limit (up to 24?). It felt great even though it was a little cold tonight for riding. I look forward to a longer trip tomorrow or the next time the weather warms up.

yeah post up how fast u can get with V4. i contacted volspeed and they told me even though i was at max setting of 27.9mph on my V4 it would actually go up to 32mph for usa bikes. but i dont believe the chip is functioning to that level. my motor loses power around 24-25mph with the v4. volspeed blamed this on the gearing of the bike not going high enough but i am skeptical of this, i dunno.

its works well enough for trails but i am disappointed not getting that extra bit for riding out to the trailhead

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles