• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Volspeed tuning box for Bosch gen 4

DangerMouseUK

Mar 7, 2021
London, UK
Everyone seems to say above 35km/h you're going to have issues.

In NZ the Bosch CX drive unit is limited to 35km/h according to Trek's website so I'm guessing thats where that figure comes from.

Would be cool if we could just flash the NZ country profile to the drive unit instead and not have all these dongles to plug in and out.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Would be great to be able to do that. I was told that even the dealers can't get hold of software from other countries, but I guess someone, somewhere can...

DangerMouseUK

Mar 7, 2021
London, UK
I'm sure there's a way to do it just can't figure it out, I know Bosche Service Centres just connect a standard USB cable to the display for the diagnostics.

Pextouras

Mar 5, 2021
Sweden

In NZ the Bosch CX drive unit is limited to 35km/h according to Trek's website so I'm guessing thats where that figure comes from.

Would be cool if we could just flash the NZ country profile to the drive unit instead and not have all these dongles to plug in and out.
Would be great to be able to do that. I was told that even the dealers can't get hold of software from other countries, but I guess someone, somewhere can...

No hackers do emtb, otherwise the software would be already available.??

DangerMouseUK

Mar 7, 2021
London, UK
I don't even think it would be hacking, if there's no region lock on the bike it would just be loading NZ firmware to the bike which has the highest limit globally I think at 35km/h?

Not sure lol

Daboss

Jan 17, 2021
Melbourne
Apparently the region software isn't locked unless you have the specific password from Bosch for each region which I'm told is emailed to that dealer in that region. So no chance of getting that sorted for us with the 25kph limit, which is a shame as I feel it definitely does need a few more kph on top of its default which feels like 23kph according to my Garmin.

Daniel H

Jul 8, 2020
Denmark
Hi!

Is there anything new since then?
Did you put the volSpeed V3 back in the new engine?
If so, how much speed limit have you set and how far have you traveled since then?
If so, has error 504 ever occurred since then?

Thanks in advance for the answers!
Sorry for my incredibly late respons here. A new house and a little new girl in the family - and my priorities changed for a while. :)

My bike has been running with the volspeed, since i got the bike returned from the dealer. Bosch had the motor for service, and returned the same motor. But didn't specify what they did with it, or what the "error" was.
I haven't had any problems what so ever. No errors or hikups.
Speedlimit on the volspeed is set to 50KM/h.

I can't say if bosch has deactivated or in any way tempered with the tuning-detection in my motor - i doubt it.
But my theory is, that the tuning-detection is measuring on the torque/power the motor is delivering - and for how long.
Before i had my motor for service - i often used 100% of the motor for long durations in Turbo mode.
Now i'm still using turbo. But i never use 100% for long durations. I use it to get up to speed, and after that i keep the motor between 60-80% (keeping a speed between 34-38) for the most of my ride - no problem in riding 100% for short durations. But as a safety measure i never do it for very long.

Ninja21

Feb 21, 2021
Lancashire
Hi guys, I have just bought a Haibike Xduro All MTN 5 with Bosch motor 2021 and i want to derestict it using the volspeed V3, Ive read loads of posts on here and in most of the videos i’ve seen it looks very straightforward to install however on my bike i can’t see how you can get to the electrical connections to fit one? Any help greatly appreciated.

Update.

To get to the wiring on this model of bike/motor, the procedure is as follows
Remove bottom cover 6 x 4mm allen bots, remove right hand crank arm, 10mm Allen key followed by an 8 mm allen key, then you need a crank extractor to remove the crank arm. Remove the chain guard 4mm allen key, remove the front sprocket, 43mm isis bottom bracket tool is needed to unscrew the lock ring this is a clockwise turn to unscrew.
Once you have the front sprocket off this gives you access to the 5mm allen bolt Silver one on the bottom right side, of the motor remove the left one also, now remove the upper fasteners on the plastic trim which houses the battery connection one either side and these are a 2 part fastener, 4mm allen key on the outside large flat blade screwdriver on the inside. Now this plastic cover slides downwards and off the bottom of the frame. Lastly remove the 2 torx screws size 20 now revealed one either side to remove the plastic trim which houses the electrical connectors. Install the tuning chip and put back together in reverse.
A bit of a lengthy process on this bike which was very annoying.

Dave.
F2D3167A-959D-4EFE-BFDC-A2F004A4BF93.jpeg

Last edited:

Andreas77

Dec 29, 2020
Germany
Sorry for my incredibly late respons here. A new house and a little new girl in the family - and my priorities changed for a while. :)

My bike has been running with the volspeed, since i got the bike returned from the dealer. Bosch had the motor for service, and returned the same motor. But didn't specify what they did with it, or what the "error" was.
I haven't had any problems what so ever. No errors or hikups.
Speedlimit on the volspeed is set to 50KM/h.

I can't say if bosch has deactivated or in any way tempered with the tuning-detection in my motor - i doubt it.
But my theory is, that the tuning-detection is measuring on the torque/power the motor is delivering - and for how long.
Before i had my motor for service - i often used 100% of the motor for long durations in Turbo mode.
Now i'm still using turbo. But i never use 100% for long durations. I use it to get up to speed, and after that i keep the motor between 60-80% (keeping a speed between 34-38) for the most of my ride - no problem in riding 100% for short durations. But as a safety measure i never do it for very long.

Thanks for the detailed answer, I have already installed VolSpeed V3 ;-)
... and I will also take care of the high level of assistance

Philip_Filip

Apr 4, 2021
Croatia
Hello guys,

firstly my apologies for my English, it is my second language.

I would like to share my experience with volspeed v3. Me and my friend ordered volspeed tuning kit and installed it on our e-bikes equiped with Bosch gen 4 motors. After 250 km for me and 370 km for him we both got 504 error.

My friends volspeed setup:
  • speed limit: 35 km/h
  • modes used: 80% emtb, 20% turbo
  • distance until 504 error: 370 km
My volspeed setup:
  • speed limit: 60 km/h
  • modes used: 60% emtb, 20% eco, 20% turbo
  • distance until 504 error: 250 km
  • average speed: around 30-40 km/h with occasional bursts of 50 km/h
My conclusion is that derestricting your e-bike is super fun, however there is still a small chance your system will detect the tuning. It is nice to see that a lot of you guys have no problem, however me and my friend were not that lucky. We both removed the tuning kits and are back to 25 km/h. Also that 90 min ride to remove the error is super annoying especially when you are doing it in a heavy rain so you can go on the trails next day with your buddies :)

Cheers and safe riding

Ninja21

Feb 21, 2021
Lancashire
That’s disappointing, I have fitted the Volspeed V3 yesterday to my Gen4 CX, set my speed limit to 35kph I guess over the next few weeks will show me if i get the error but from what you both have encountered its just a matter of time and the bosch software is way too clever for any of the tuning kits!

Reactions: Flo

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Thanks for the detailed information Philip, very interesting.

Per numerous post on her you friend with a limit of 60kmh was going to get a 504 but I’ve not read many people on here getting it with a limit set to 35kmh.

I would suggest you try again, maybe at 33kmh, you should be fine.

AlliumPorrum

Aug 17, 2020
Finland
Has anyone already tried the new 1.1.5.0 software, with "manipulation detection improvement"..? Does it make tunign more difficult or even easier, any effect on Error 504??

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Thanks for the detailed information Philip, very interesting.

Per numerous post on her you friend with a limit of 60kmh was going to get a 504 but I’ve not read many people on here getting it with a limit set to 35kmh.

I would suggest you try again, maybe at 33kmh, you should be fine.

I have read the seller of Speed Box and Volspeed saying both give 504 errors .
Also the 35 KMH is also a myth as seen above . Buy the ticket , take your chances .

Coolaudio

Jul 17, 2020
Glasgow
I have read the seller of Speed Box and Volspeed saying both give 504 errors .
Also the 35 KMH is also a myth as seen above . Buy the ticket , take your chances .
I would much prefer bosch didn't force a (504) penalty on sensible users using the bike they maybe paid 5k + for...it should be up to the individual user to decide!!.. I ride on private land with a v3 volspeed and while I don't hit high speeds often..I just think 15.5 mph limit is unreasonable!! As mentioned before...most analogue bikes cruise by at 25/30... ! On my emtb...when the motor cuts out ..it like pushing a tank up the hill ..

AlliumPorrum

Aug 17, 2020
Finland
I would much prefer bosch didn't force a (504) penalty on sensible users using the bike they maybe paid 5k + for...it should be up to the individual user to decide!!.. I ride on private land with a v3 volspeed and while I don't hit high speeds often..I just think 15.5 mph limit is unreasonable!! As mentioned before...most analogue bikes cruise by at 25/30... ! On my emtb...when the motor cuts out ..it like pushing a tank up the hill ..

Exactly my thoughts also! Bosch is a really good motor, but because it's software is totally closed and it seems to have stupid errors when derestricting, my next motor will surely be something else...

sgh77

Feb 22, 2021
New Zealand
I live in NZ, we dont have any eMTB speed limits, just the normal road speed limit set for cars and motorbikes alike. So its annoying when I find the 32kph limit the bike comes with is a total lie, I checked it against GPS and the motor cuts out at 27kph. No wonder people are derestricting their bikes when a road bike can easily for 50kph.

sgh77

Feb 22, 2021
New Zealand

I live in NZ, I have a 2021 trek Rail, my motor cuts out at 30.9kph on Kiox, but the true GPS speed is only 27kph. So its not true we that we have a 35kph limit.

Philip_Filip

Apr 4, 2021
Croatia
Hello guys,

just to give you an update. I again installed the Vollspeed tuning kit, just reduced the assist max speed from 60 km/h to 35 km/h. Done 200 km and no errors so far. Also after every ride I deactivate the tuning and let the bike turn off by itself. I will see if these changes will keep me error free.

Cheers

dualview

Aug 6, 2020
Hungary
so after every ride I deactivate the tuning and let the bike turn off by itself.

Deactivating the module beforehand makes the whole thing pointless.It must be switched on to run the distance equalization process in the background. You have to leave the module activated and let the bike turn off by itself this way.

Philip_Filip

Apr 4, 2021
Croatia
Deactivating the module beforehand makes the whole thing pointless.It must be switched on to run the distance equalization process in the background. You have to leave the module activated and let the bike turn off by itself this way.

Unfortunately when I leave the module on the bike don't want to turn off by itself. Can a distance equalization process take longer than 2 hours?

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
Hi ! I have 1.0.2.0. firmware on my Bosch CX gen 4 Scott Strike eRide 930 2020 edition. Can i put a volspeed v3 on it or i will have problems ? And if the answer is yes, can i put 45km/h speed limit in the volspeed v3 settings or must be smaler ? I don't have an ebike shop in my town to do an motor update. Maybe at the end of the year or in 2022 i can go in another town to do that. But with my 1.0.2.0 it's safe to put Volspeed v3 ? Thank you for your help !

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
That’s disappointing, I have fitted the Volspeed V3 yesterday to my Gen4 CX, set my speed limit to 35kph I guess over the next few weeks will show me if i get the error but from what you both have encountered its just a matter of time and the bosch software is way too clever for any of the tuning kits!

or those tuning guys are to stupid to not find a real solution or we are to stupid to pay money for cips who will fail sooner or later. it's a shame !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
or those tuning guys are to stupid to not find a real solution or we are to stupid to pay money for cips who will fail sooner or later. it's a shame !
Don't forget the motors receive firmware updates, both to rectify issues and possibly to make sure they comply to laws - which could mean they stop the tuning boxes working.

The tuning boxes don't receive firmware updates ... Just version updates.

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
Don't forget the motors receive firmware updates, both to rectify issues and possibly to make sure they comply to laws - which could mean they stop the tuning boxes working.

The tuning boxes don't receive firmware updates ... Just version updates.

i see that exist errors with each motor update, that's my problem, newset and oldest to.
i can't be resonable when i pay for a cip who can fail even with the oldest firmware. it was problems from the beginnings. It's weird to test your cips on your customers money.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I live in NZ, I have a 2021 trek Rail, my motor cuts out at 30.9kph on Kiox, but the true GPS speed is only 27kph. So its not true we that we have a 35kph limit.
You LBS can adjust the wheel size so the speed it cuts out is correct.

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
You LBS can adjust the wheel size so the speed it cuts out is correct.

The wheel size setting does not change the cut-off speed of the motor.
Bosch allowed end users to adjust the setting themselves on the Kiox. It changes nothing in regards to the cut-off speed.

If it did work, then all bosch certified LBS would be able to derestrict all bosch ebikes and thats certainly not the case.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yes it does. What the shop can adjust is different from the user can adjust on the Kiox. How do I know? Because I’ve had it done to mine to compensate for the 27.5 wheel I use instead of the 29er. There is only a fairly small amount of adjustment available though; they couldn’t adjust it enough to compensate for a 26” wheel.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles