• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Volspeed tuning box for Bosch gen 4

Coolaudio

Jul 17, 2020
Glasgow
Hi, what's your take on message #262 in this thread? A bit of a worry...
Indeed, would be interesting to find out george or volspeeds thoughts on firmware 1.1.2.0, hoping its just a random 504

I've got a volspeed v3 sitting here, holding off installing as I'm on 1.1.2.0 also

Whytey

Oct 10, 2020
Yorkshire
Im firmware version 1.1.2.0 (bike new and came with it) did 30-40 miles prior to fitting volspeed ive now done another 70miles since it arrived Tuesday and so far so good (Set to 22mph)

Pilotfromdk

Nov 28, 2020
Saeby, Denmark
Hi all

My 1st post :)

So far I have done +3000Km with VOLspeed running firmware 1.0.2.0 and the Kiox display.

Last week I received the Nyon2 (ordered 12th august...) I did 8Km and I got the 503 AND the 504 :oops:
I tried to dodge the "penalty run" by attaching a motor to it (as seen on YouTube). NO luck. My Nyon2 started
going into standby mode and switching of the screen, and NOT counting the time or distance.
I switched back to the Kiox and tried the "motor" pedaling still @ 7.5Km/h again. No luck, display was now on for 1hour before standby.
8 hours into trying to out smart the software I did my 1,5 hour 32Km penalty run (in the rain) :censored: before I was able to reset the 503 and 504 Error. :p
I kept the VOLspeed connected and I have re-tuned the bike to 38 Km/h max speed and it's working fine (with Kiox) :cool:
I was not going to update the motor firmware to the 85Nm version (never touch a running system...)
But reading through different forums I think it might be the time to take the jump?
What do you think?
I really like the Nyon2 display.

Attached pictures shows 3 different ways I tried to attach a motor to do the pedaling for me. No luck?! :unsure:

BOSCH NYON 2.jpg 3. try.jpg 1. try.jpg 2. try.jpg

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Hi all

So far I have done +3000Km with VOLspeed running firmware 1.0.2.0 and the Kiox display.

Last week I received the Nyon2 (ordered 12th august...) I did 8Km and I got the 503 AND the 504 :oops:

Hello! Wow that sure is some dedication to avoiding the penalty cycle! ?

Others seem to be ok with 1.1.2.0, I've not had a chance to upgrade yet. I wonder if the Nyon2 is the culprit for your errors? Maybe go to 1.1.2.0 and if it happens again go back to the Kiox to see what happens! Keep us updated!

Fuzz

Jun 2, 2020
Yarrahapinni, NSW, Australia
I'm running 1.1.0.0 and have the V3 set at 60kmh. I've done another 800kms since last post with no errors. I always let the display time out by itself after using the Volspeed... I don't think I'll touch the firmware, as I'm happy with performance, and lack of errors. (Purion display)

Pilotfromdk

Nov 28, 2020
Saeby, Denmark
Hi all

I tried to dodge the "penalty run" by attaching a motor to it (as seen on YouTube). NO luck. My Nyon2 started
going into standby mode and switching of the screen, and NOT counting the time or distance.
I switched back to the Kiox and tried the "motor" pedaling still @ 7.5Km/h again. No luck, display was now on for 1hour before standby.
8 hours into trying to out smart the software I did my 1,5 hour 32Km penalty run (in the rain) :censored: before I was able to reset the 503 and 504 Error. :p
I kept the VOLspeed connected and I have re-tuned the bike to 38 Km/h max speed and it's working fine (with Kiox) :cool:
I was not going to update the motor firmware to the 85Nm version (never touch a running system...)
But reading through different forums I think it might be the time to take the jump?
What do you think?
I really like the Nyon2 display.

Attached pictures shows 3 different ways I tried to attach a motor to do the pedaling for me. No luck?! :unsure:

View attachment 46241 View attachment 46244 View attachment 46242 View attachment 46243

Update 04.12.2020. I just did a 40K ride. No problems.

Davzell

Dec 25, 2020
France
Hello.
Someone as a solution to order and ship Volspeed in France ?

All the german website no shipping to France

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
For those people with a Kiox display, what is the 'alternating' range indicator saying on the Kiox? the manual says the Purion shows range for 4 second then battery percent remaining for 1 sec I believe, but not sure that is what its showing on the Kiox as you can read the battery % always?

Is it showing the the range from the Volspeed and flashing for 1 second the range from the standard computer (which clearly doesn't understand what Volspeed is doing to the range)?

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
UPDATE :
1.0.3.0 : 0-10 miles / no Volspeed 3.0 / no errors
1.0.3.0 : 11-360 miles / Volspeed 3.0 / no errors / speed limit 19 Mph (32 km/h)
1.0.4.0 : 361-810 miles / Volspeed 3.0 / no errors / speed limit 19 Mph (32 km/h)
1.1.0.0 : 811-1060 miles / Volspeed 3.0 / no errors / speed limit 19 Mph (32 km/h)
1.1.0.0 : 1060-1615 miles / Volspeed 3.0 / no errors / speed limit 21 Mph (35 km/h)

90% of my rides in eMtb mode

How have the last 3 months been Giancalo? ;)

Froffytop

Dec 2, 2020
Sydney Australia
For the people who have had error codes come up with the Volspeed, what type of riding have you mostly been doing? (I.e commuting long distances on road at speeds or riding on MTB trails with constantly varying speeds)

And what modes have you mostly been using? (I.e EMTB or turbo?)

Andreas77

Dec 29, 2020
Germany
I don't think so.
My motors logs was sent from my bikeshop to bosch to review - no comments about anything. Bosch changed the motor to a new (still waiting on it though) without further...

Hi!

Is there anything new since then?
Did you put the volSpeed V3 back in the new engine?
If so, how much speed limit have you set and how far have you traveled since then?
If so, has error 504 ever occurred since then?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
Apologize if this info is already in the thread, have a couple questions.

1. When you do a penalty lap to reset the 504 error, do you have to remove the volspeed to get the reset or can you leave it in?

2. If you reset the 504 error yourself with the penalty lap, will this count against your overall strikes with Bosch with regard to when they blacklist you for resets?

3. What is the generally agreed upon max speed you can get away with volspeed?

4. Anyone hit 3 strikes? Anyone actually have to square off with dealer/bosch to get a 3 strike bike de-limped?

Last edited:

Fuzz

Jun 2, 2020
Yarrahapinni, NSW, Australia

1. When you do a penalty lap to reset the 504 error, do you have to remove the volspeed to get the reset or can you leave it in?

2. If you reset the 504 error yourself with the penalty lap, will this count against your overall strikes with Bosch with regard to when they blacklist you for resets?

4. Anyone hit 3 strikes? Anyone actually have to square off with dealer/bosch to get a 3 strike bike de-limped?

Volspeed 3 fitted for about 2200kms, set at 70 kmh (it gets up to 63kmh on the beach with a tailwind), no errors, but I always let it time out by itself rather than manually switching display off (Purion). Mostly ride in turbo, lots of varied riding from single track, some downhill and roads...

Coolaudio

Jul 17, 2020
Glasgow
Volspeed 3 fitted for about 2200kms, set at 70 kmh (it gets up to 63kmh on the beach with a tailwind), no errors, but I always let it time out by itself rather than manually switching display off (Purion). Mostly ride in turbo, lots of varied riding from single track, some downhill and roads...
Good to hear fuzz. What firmware you on? Tia

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent

1) Leave it in
2) Yes
3) I found game changing improvement to the feel of the bike with just a 7mph increase so 22mph new limit. Don’t think there are many/any 504’s at that level. I’m over 500 miles with no issues, really impressed with it. From peoples comments I would think you should easily be safe with a 10mph increase by which time your legs are going to be spinning pretty damn fast!
4) I think you could talk your way out of it without too much hassle ?

Coolaudio

Jul 17, 2020
Glasgow
Can I ask the people here on 1.2.0.0 what speed setting are you using? Just want to err on side of caution. That's mine off to get fitted while getting serviced. Thanks

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Can I ask the people here on 1.2.0.0 what speed setting are you using? Just want to err on side of caution. That's mine off to get fitted while getting serviced. Thanks

Whilst on 1.1.0.0, looking at all the threads on here, I think 22mph is Super safe (and game changing in the ride feel and removing the "hitting the wall" feeling). From what I can tell 25mph should also bar pretty much problem free (and there's only so much cadence you can put through the pedals unless you start upgrading your drive train).

Coolaudio

Jul 17, 2020
Glasgow
Whilst on 1.1.0.0, looking at all the threads on here, I think 22mph is Super safe (and game changing in the ride feel and removing the "hitting the wall" feeling). From what I can tell 25mph should also bar pretty much problem free (and there's only so much cadence you can put through the pedals unless you start upgrading your drive train).
Thanks Phil, appreciate the heads up. Looking forward to not running out of assistance before I reach a more realistic cruise speed:)

StevEmtb

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
HI All just thought id update my info:

Purion display, Canyon grail on e gravel Bike
Total kms 1500 on Volspeed no issues (touch wood )
Now on V 1.1.2.0 (500km) I removed the dongle before my local bike shop did the update and reinstalled no issue, it remembered my pin code also.

I have max speed set to 50kph. also I let the bike turn itself off after a ride and importantly I think, do a mix of speeds and rarely travel at max speed for too long as I'm climbing well below max speed or descending when I'm freewheeling at that kind of speed. I live in the mountains.
George from e bike tuner said long rides at max speed like 50kph on the flat will eventually lead to problems which makes sense when you think about it,

Cheers...

Malabar

Feb 28, 2021
france lyon
hi sorry for the translation (google). I come from France. Since yesterday my Focus bosch cx performance gen4 display kiox gives me the error 503.
Electric assistance shuts off at 18km / h.
I have a 3.0 speedbox which worked fine until yesterday.

it really is because of the speedbox. an idea to remove the error because my seller does not want to remove it a second time

Pilotfromdk

Nov 28, 2020
Saeby, Denmark
hi sorry for the translation (google). I come from France. Since yesterday my Focus bosch cx performance gen4 display kiox gives me the error 503.
Electric assistance shuts off at 18km / h.
I have a 3.0 speedbox which worked fine until yesterday.

it really is because of the speedbox. an idea to remove the error because my seller does not want to remove it a second time

Sounds like you have a speed sensor problem?

Pextouras

Mar 5, 2021
Sweden
Gen 4
Volspeed V3
1200 km total now, 2 times 504 Speed limited to 45kph doing 12.3km course x2 each day.
1st happened around 700km, with first firmware it came with MY2020.
2nd around 1000km after a firmware upgrade, can´t recall which one I have now atm.
Can check it out, if someone is interested.

Once 503 aswell but after 1km riding or restart it was gone, cant remember really what I did.

EDIT: Yes I do have the 1.1.2.0. That was the 2nd time it throw a code for me. Thats the 85nm version what I understand.

Last edited:

Coolaudio

Jul 17, 2020
Glasgow
Gen 4
Volspeed V3
1200 km total now, 2 times 504 Speed limited to 45kph doing 12.3km course x2 each day.
1st happened around 700km, with first firmware it came with MY2020.
2nd around 1000km after a firmware upgrade, can´t recall which one I have now atm.
Can check it out, if someone is interested.

Once 503 aswell but after 1km riding or restart it was gone, cant remember really what I did.

EDIT: Yes I do have the 1.1.2.0. That was the 2nd time it throw a code for me. Thats the 85nm version what I understand.
Thanks for the info..im on 1.1.2.0 ..just intalled the vol v3...had a quick burn at 28mph max speed for around 5 miles to check it was working ( I left bike to turn off automatically, just in case)...different bike altogether!!!.. however ,I'm too nervous about getting a 504...so the next time I'm out...ill be setting at 20mph and keeping a log...ill keep u all posted.:)

Pextouras

Mar 5, 2021
Sweden
Thanks for the info..im on 1.1.2.0 ..just intalled the vol v3...had a quick burn at 28mph max speed for around 5 miles to check it was working ( I left bike to turn off automatically, just in case)...different bike altogether!!!.. however ,I'm too nervous about getting a 504...so the next time I'm out...ill be setting at 20mph and keeping a log...ill keep u all posted.:)

It´s amazing right? :D

I will try to lower it to 35-38, from 45. Im Usually around 40-45 and thats the bad spot for being detected by the software.
Fingers crossed no 3rd 504.
Just waiting for some new tires, tubes, cassette and ofc warmer weather and I will see what happens.
Those speeds with emtb eats your drivetrain like breakfast..

Coolaudio

Jul 17, 2020
Glasgow
It´s amazing right? :D

I will try to lower it to 35-38, from 45. Im Usually around 40-45 and thats the bad spot for being detected by the software.
Fingers crossed no 3rd 504.
Just waiting for some new tires, tubes, cassette and ofc warmer weather and I will see what happens.
Those speeds with emtb eats your drivetrain like breakfast..
Maybe a good idea...I'd love to set a higher speed...time will tell. Fingers crossed u don't get another 504 bud. Just had to shell out for a new cassette on my cube tm ...sore one!! Tires next! The joys:)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles