Vitus size help

Shog46

Nov 4, 2018
Yorkshire
I’m rather stumped on which size vitus to buy.
I’ve been comparing the vitus e sommet vr sizing/geometry to my current bike (yeti sb66) out of date I know ?‍♂️ But it seems like a medium would be my choice but I’m 6’3” ?‍♂️
So I was wondering if there’s any vitus e sommet VR owners in or near Yorkshire willing to let me try for size cheers

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Medium could well be your size if you prefer older style reach.
I'm 5'11" (33" inseam) and happily riding a small Esommet VR

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I'm 6 foot and rode a large Yeti SB66 & a Large Vitus E-Sommet VR 2019. If your inseam is <32 then you may struggle on a Large due to seat post height.

Personally a Medium or Small would cripple me on longer rides, Gary seems to be the exception and likes a small bike. When I bought my SB66 I tried large and Medium and the medium I turned back after less than a mile as it was way too small for me.

Good call asking to try some ones to get the fit as it's a really personal thing. I'm up in the lake district so probably too far to try my Large... IMO Large would be the best size to try as you'll know if you need XL or Medium.

Stanley

Jan 15, 2019
Stockport
Just under 5'10" and >33" inside leg. I've got a large one (ooh err). Just right I reckon. Medium would have been too short for me. It's not like I'm used to the new "long and low" style either... My last bike is a 10 year old Turner 5 Spot.
I'm near Stockport btw.

Shog46

Nov 4, 2018
Yorkshire
Thanks for the reply’s/advice guys.
I’ve got 34” inseam so from what you say from your experience looks like large would be better suited, my concern is the reach as I find my sb66 XL (466.5) too much now.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I no longer have my 2108 Esommet and just recieved the 2019 (exactly the same Geometry/sizing). after a year and 1800 miles on the 2018 there's no way I'd have wanted to upsize to a medium. I've barely been off the 2109 since it arrived. small improvements over last years bike but they all add up to make it immense.
if it helps I have a 170mm drop brand x dropper in the new 2019 small and inserted fully into the frame it's just over 1cm off the min insertion mark and pretty much perfect length for pedalling with the post fully extended. (as stated above my inseam is 33")
so with the same 170mm post you could easily get the saddle high enough on a medium. (51mm longer seat tube than my small)
They're not short bikes..
I've ridden a few longer reach/wheelbase Emtbs in the last couple of months while I was without my own bike and not liked any of them. (not as playful/poppy and far harder work to manual and bunnyhop).
My non-Ebike enduro and DH bikes are mediums and all shorter than my small Esommet. (reach and wheelbase).

Definitely try a Med and a Large if you can.

At your height no shop these days would even consider offering you a medium but that doesn't mean it's not the size you'll prefer riding.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I'm 6ft but I have abnormally long arms. XL is great for me. Would have liked if the frame had a bit more room for a dropper. I could easily have used all of my 170mm dropper had the seatstay been reamed a bit further down.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
180cm is kinda a medium height for an adult male.
Crazy huh!

Last edited:

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
I think the e-sommet frames are quite big compared to other brands. I'm 180cm and the medium frame fits me perfectly.

Absolutely - I'm a bit old school like Gary but in the old days everyone wanted to ride small frames regardless now the pendulum has swung and many are riding frames far too big because the 'industry' has told them that's what they should be doing.

Longer, and longer and longer it goes. :rolleyes:

Ignore the S/M/L/XL and what the industry and marketing people tell you is the only workable geo and we've all been wrong for 30 years and just compare the actual geo to what you ride and what suits you and what you feel best on and pick that size. Be it forward geo, old school or something in between. All they have really done is dabble with the head tube angle (a little slacker) and the seat tube angle (a little steeper) but most importantly just bump all the frame sizes up one (or two) place(s) at the cost to smaller riders who are over stretched and unable to use droppers to their full extent as they don't make real 'small' frames any more.

I'm bang in the middle to top of a medium Levo apparently at 174cm but after 30 years of riding 22.5" top tubes, seat slid back and with a 70/80/90mm stem 'forward geometry' with no layback and no weight over the front feels very strange. The small Levo with a 60mm stem and the seat back is bang on...but people will say "...you cannot ride that! - it's for people 5'5"!.." Even though the 2018 M Levo is smaller in reach and stack than a 2019 S! As I say, I'm old school and I may come round to the new geo (and get a medium) but it's impossible in the UK at present to get a proper off-road demo to actually see.

Ride what you like! :)

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think with modern geometry you can seperate slack from long, I ride an L Sommett, but could still happily ride and M, it would still feel slack, just not as long and be a bit easier to throw about.

On an EMTB all the low down weight of the motor and battery adds a certain amount of stability anyway, provided the bike has been designed well.

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
I'm fairly set on getting one of these. But the only bikes in stock are all small. There was a Large on Ebay last week but it got snaffled up.

Coming from a Focus Jam2 ltd in large, it seems like a bit of a 'jump'. it's not like I'm uncomfortable on the Focus in the attack position.

I'm 178cm tall, average legs (haven't measured them :D).

Would I be too cramped on a small?

I do like the idea of a light, playful machine that's easy to chuck about.

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
There is so much rubbish talked about modern sizing - huge reach is not for everyone nor is a tiny stem with no weight up front. So many people buying bikes too long for them.

The only way to know is to try the bikes and see how *you* feel, no one can tell you which size will fit you perfectly.

Read post #10 again. ;)

Reach is only a factor when standing, in the attack position etc and is a fluid measurement anyway as you move about the bike. I still prefer to focus on ETT as this is a static measurement and where you will be when sitting - which you do a lot of on a EMTB.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
They had a £500 off offer on the site the other day too but it didn’t work on the e-Sommet or I’d have ordered one.

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
Damn it.

Trigger pulled on the small.

I'd better not end up looking like King Koopa on it....

Bowser+King+Koopa+Harley+Davidson+Hotwheel.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm fairly set on getting one of these. But the only bikes in stock are all small....

I'm 178cm tall, average legs (haven't measured them :D).

Would I be too cramped on a small?

I do like the idea of a light, playful machine that's easy to chuck about.

i'm 5'11" (33" inseam)and pretty optimally proportioned.
I've owned 2 E sommets (2018 & 2019) both were size small and have a 16months (ridden 2000+ miles betweeen them).
I wouldn't want any longer. the shorter front centre means the bike is far more front wheel pop happy. when climbing etc. I'm not cramped at all.

Don't buy a smaller frame thinking it's going to be lighter. No E8000 powered 170mm Emtb is ever going to be light whatever size you buy but the shorter reach does make it a lot easier to maneuver, raise either wheel (or both) and get the bike sideways etc.
at a guess you'll be saving less than 200g between each frame size. if that.
the small ESommet is actually around the same length/reach as a lot of medium regular 160/170mm enduro mtbs. nukeproof Mega/Capra ETC.

long bikes can still be thrown around, whipped/tabled etc.. it's just far more effort to do so with a longer bike. Add 17lb of motor and battery into the equation and it becomes even more effort.

#Physics #leverage

Not sure if I look like king koopa

img_20190423_190351_087-jpg.13200

it's fairly effortless to make shapes on so I can't say I really care ;)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles