Vitus Mythique CYC X1 Stealth Motor Build

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Brand New Full Suspension Ebike for around £2500? Can it be done? I do like a DIY project. There are lots of folks who have bikes lying around in sheds that this may be a great option for. Also, the barrier to entry for ebike ownership for many is the cost. With most decent ebikes starting at £4k+ this could be a really viable option. Let's find out....

The Bike

I haven't purchased a regular pedal bike in the last 10 years. But I have one of these on the way. A Vitus Mythique. 140mm travel 29er, full suspension bike. The entry level bike from Vitus starts from £1349, but I went for this top model (really only because the others have all sold out), and this top spec cost £1799. Its actually looking pretty incredible value for money on its own, with Deore 12 speed drivetrain, Marzocchi Bomber Z1 fork and pretty decent geo.

I have a few parts for the bike that I have around my workshop, I'll put on a Lyrik 150mm fork and also a Works Angleset to slacken out the HA from 66 degrees to around 64 degrees.

My21_Mythique_VRX290.jpg

The Motor

From CYC, called the X1 Stealth. 1500w, 150Nm torque. Specs sound powerful! What I really like about it is there is an app to change the modes to suit regional laws, so I can easily make it UK legal with the 250w / 25Kmh mode.

I have this on the way and it should be here in the next couple of weeks. The current cost is $838 (£604) from the supplier direct from Hong Kong. VAT / Import will make the total price around £750.

maxresdefault-1.jpg

Here it is installed on a Trek. It replaced the BB and this one slots in. It adds a bit of bulk under the BB, but doesn't seem ridiculously huge.

Trek CYC Motor.jpg

What about the battery?

CYC make their own batteries, or you can build your own. I'm not into building, so I'll opt for an off the shelf, direct from CYC. They make a few packs, all with 21700 cells. The capacities range from 300Wh ($350) to 625Wh ($600). On my XL framed bike it shouldn't be an issue attaching any size into the front triangle.

Screenshot 2021-07-25 at 10.41.04.png

Screenshot 2021-07-25 at 10.41.28.png

What Next?

I'll keep this build thread updated. The stuff should be here in the next couple of weeks, then I'll make a build video and see how it all goes. If I use the smaller sized or mid size battery the total build should weigh around 23-24KG. If someone wanted to build this and use the entry level Vitus Mythique the total cost would be around £2400 including import fees for motor and battery. Mine will be around £2800 including bike cost.

Update 9th Sept 2021 - The Build

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I take it the Trek example has no battery installed ?

The battery "sled" looks like you can easily mount it where you like on the water bottle mounts. Quite neat.

Will you be going AXS to reduce cables ;) The Trek looks like it must have heated grips, power adjustable brake levers, On board wifi, electric wash wipe for goggles, indicators, brake lights, massage saddle, charging for at least 5 devices.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
It is quite an essay writing exercise though to work your way through to the actual final price. Always looks good until the total comes up.
I like the easy pressfit BB option for Giants.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I’m assuming that most people that will do this will be converting an existing bike they own, so the cost for most people is the motor / battery.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I’m assuming that most people that will do this will be converting an existing bike they own, so the cost for most people is the motor / battery.
Yes. I am always tempted to do it to my Trance however after all the maths it comes to about $2760.00 NZD delivered here(1930GBP) which is a third of the price of a Rail 7. I also factor in the replacement of the old drivetrain, overdue fork service, pivot bearings prob need doing etc etc & it goes into the Mmmm lets wait basket.
I'll be interested in your build & how you find it. Where do you reckon the battery goes on that Trek? Backpack or small enough to slip in the frame?

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Well since the Vitus doesn't come with E specified, brakes, forks, chain, saddle & drivetrain I can see a lot of death happening. Pity, I was quite warming to Rob.

I’ve converted 3 mtbs to electric now, haven’t died yet! ?

The biggest forces a bike deals with are braking downhill with a big bloke on it, or landing a jump badly etc.

The additional forces put through a bike through pedaling even with a motor assisting are minor in comparison.

I like these conversions, seems good to me to be giving a bike a second life, and if it stops something rotting in the corner of a shed and gets people out biking again it gets my vote.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I’ve converted 3 mtbs to electric now, haven’t died yet! ?

The biggest forces a bike deals with are braking downhill with a big bloke on it, or landing a jump badly etc.

The additional forces put through a bike through pedaling even with a motor assisting are minor in comparison.

I like these conversions, seems good to me to be giving a bike a second life, and if it stops something rotting in the corner of a shed and gets people out biking again it gets my vote.
I was being facetious about the "E" rated components. That may not have come across in my post ;)
Yes I like the conversions too(y)

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
I'll keep this build thread updated. The stuff should be here in the next couple of weeks, then I'll make a build video and see how it all goes.
Rob, I know you're busy, but wondering how long a project and vid like this will take to put together? You're the best man for info on this system so far.

memtb

Jan 2, 2021
england
Hello Rob, Always interesting and well made videos so look forward to seeing this one.
I hope you having to have the xxxl size frame means more room for that battery.
whatever happened to the V2 self build. Awaiting parts maybe?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
aside form the battery, its looks pretty compact!
if that battery had a downtube type form factor, the whole thing would be pretty stealth...
looks good!
Yeah the battery is really bulky. Like a big brick! I’ve seen some pretty neat DIY battery builds that some folks have put together that look a lot better.

But the battery chemistry is great. 21700 cells, 430Wh, 52v, 60a constant discharge rate. A quick ride on private land, 150Nm and 1500 Watts ??

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Yeah the battery is really bulky. Like a big brick! I’ve seen some pretty neat DIY battery builds that some folks have put together that look a lot better.

But the battery chemistry is great. 21700 cells, 430Wh, 52v, 60a constant discharge rate. A quick ride on private land, 150Nm and 1500 Watts ??
Don’t knock something that looks like a brick, but is waterproof, knock proof, can launch our fat derrières at great speed and can do the job it was designed for. On the other hand I’ve seen too many pretty neat looking DIY battery and bike installation builds that does none of the above.

Great build and loads of value for money there! (y)

I am curious about the legal aspect in DIY builds like these. I am not criticizing, but even if you tweak the motor through the app to 250W, is it still legal? The motor is still a 1500W motor. And the voltage limit for e-bikes is 48V according to EN15194. Can the voltage be higher for DIY builds?

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Any chance the battery would fit on the underside of the down tube? My fsr bike doesn't have room for the battery inside the triangle.

Last edited:

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US

But the battery chemistry is great. 21700 cells, 430Wh, 52v, 60a constant discharge rate. A quick ride on private land, 150Nm and 1500 Watts
Where did you see the diy battery builds? I'm probably going to have to go that route if I convert my status.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I am curious about the legal aspect in DIY builds like these. I am not criticizing, but even if you tweak the motor through the app to 250W, is it still legal? The motor is still a 1500W motor. And the voltage limit for e-bikes is 48V according to EN15194. Can the voltage be higher for DIY builds?

So long as it's limited to your countries assist speed limit do you really think anyone is going to stop you and check?

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Where did you see the diy battery builds? I'm probably going to have to go that route if I convert my status.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Maybe not, was just curious about what it takes to build a properly legal e-bike.
You do realise (legal) assistance limit is controlled by a software setting on ALL the major manufacturers Emtb motors?
So what makes you think this motor won't be "properly" legal with the correct settings?

You do realise (legal) assistance limit is controlled by a software setting on ALL the major manufacturers Emtb motors?
So what makes you think this motor won't be "properly" legal with the correct settings?
There is an app/switch that with a press of a button makes the power go from 250 - 1500W. That is illegal even in the UK.

Edit: BTW I suspect (don't know for sure) that it is the hardware from major manufacturers that is specified to 250W continous power. But I could be wrong here.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles