RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Only had a quick ride today. But compared to Levo, real early comparisons
- Shimano not as refined. More off / on feeling (the nature of the motor on all shimano bikes). Noisier.

- Obvious less refined in the battery integration
- Totally sorted out of the box. It wants for nothing
- Unbeatable value. Levo literally thousands of ££ more
- Levo wont be able to handle the chunk as well as this, being slacker and more travel
- More enduro and dh geometry, so some trade offs / benefits depending on what you ride
- On the counter, Levo feels a bit nippier in the bends
- Direct to consumer, so little to no dealer support should you need it
- Doesn't look as well finished as Levo, some gaps, cable routing etc thats just not as neat
+loads more differences but that's a quick list!

But this is a seriously good bike. Like, ridiculously good for what you're paying. And the '19 looks brilliant.

Yeah IMO the 2 bikes are not that directly comparable and are slightly different in approach/goals. Explorer mode is better than the stock mode IME on the motor and a bit less "surgey", agree its noisy.

Agree the Levo is probably a better overall package for most people and I nearly bought one but saved 3K with the 20% offer in early December on an E Sommetg VR... I could have technically bought 2X E Sommets VRs for the price of the Levo I was looking at.. kind of puts it into perspective a bit.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
kind of puts it into perspective a bit.
I know, it's crazy how they're able to bang out this bike at this price. It's capable of so much, XC, Trail... whatever you throw at it. There will be better tools for the job if you're looking for something specific, yes the Levo is the ultimate trail ebike, but is it worth £2k more? You sure are not getting a £2k better bike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
LOL I'd not exactly class any 22kg bike "chuckable" - It's one thing I've found much harder and it's shown up some deficiencies in my jumping and I'm casing stuff I clear easily on my Hightower LT.
Pre-load harder.
the timing is slightly different too.
Apart from steep/tight dirt jump trails they jump just as nicely as any other 160/170mm bike and are just as chuckable. it just takes a slightly different approach to coax them ;)

Obviously if jumping is your thing, run higher pressures, faster rolling tyres, stiffer (and slightly faster) suspension.

oh... and a shorter reach frame *size ;)

*with those left over levo readies :cool:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think it takes time to adjust - the longer I have the bike and the more time I pt on it, the more I feel comfortable flinging the bike around. The key is making the weight work for you, rather than against you.

I would be really interested to ride the different size Sommetts back to back. Next time I see you Rob you should take my L out for a spin, would be an interesting comparison to see how it feels compared to the XL.

Mybrainaches

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
Pre-load harder.
the timing is slightly different too.
Apart from steep/tight dirt jump trails they jump just as nicely as any other 160/170mm bike and are just as chuckable. it just takes a slightly different approach to coax them ;)

Obviously if jumping is your thing, run higher pressures, faster rolling tyres, stiffer (and slightly faster) suspension.

oh... and a shorter reach frame *size ;)

*with those left over levo readies :cool:
Yep getting back into jumping was the main reason to get the bike, going to dial in 25% sag and start from there! What are your thoughts on getting a spare battery?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think it takes time to adjust
Definitely this!

when fairly new I took mine just jumping for a half day to learn it's foybles/traits properly.
Switching between it and my 24lb DJ bike or 32lb 165/170mm Enduro bike there's no at all issues between the three.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I view a spare battery as pretty much essential - I don't carry the spare with me, but if I go to Peaslake or similar I keep it in the van so I can switch it out.

E.G Tomorrow I am going over to Surrey Hills, planning to do about 30 miles of riding, but want to blast it and not care about range, so will do one battery all in trail, then back to van and swap to other battery as needed.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Definitely this!

when fairly new I took mine just jumping for a half day to learn it's foybles/traits properly.
Switching between it and my 24lb DJ bike or 32lb 165/170mm Enduro bike there's no at all issues between the three.

The good thing was when I got the Sentier it felt like a BMX compared to the Sommett. I am more determined than ever to get a custom frame now, as the Sentier just isn't Low, long or slack enough for me, and no one makes an aggressive hardtail Emtb. Even contemplating getting a batch knocked up out in Taiwan

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I paid a chunk of the mortgage (yeah that's way too sensible) but left myself some to burn. Got one of the 4 slot Bikestow racks for the van and looking at a spare battery possibly. Looking for a spare chain and the one fitted is stamped e11T.. seen some stuff claiming its a 10 speed but doesn't look like it to me.. the link is definitely stamped 11 speed also.

I'm still playing with the forks but the rear is dialled and i'll not be changing that much from the baseline i'm at now. I was trying to preload harder but probably need to speed up the rebound a bit, my Hightower just launches a lot easier so just getting used to it I suppose.

I live in the north lakes but travel all over, BPW/Antur/Hamsterly and all the South Scotland trails so affair mix hence one bike wont fit all really. Not had the chance yet but getting a 170 bike up some of the big Lake District fells like Dollywagon Pike etc is very appealing :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yep getting back into jumping was the main reason to get the bike, going to dial in 25% sag and start from there! What are your thoughts on getting a spare battery?
If cost isn't an issue and you want to boost everywhere or do longer rides. go for it.
Main reason I've never bought one is I hate carrying anything.

Sag depends on how you're stood when it's measured.
for jumping I'd run quite a bit less front sag and no more than 30% rear.
IIRC I'm running 27% rear sag, a lot less front (23% ish on the Lyriik stanchion sag scale. but it's not really an accurate scale as all lyriks already sit 10mm into their travel at rest). Zero tokens in the fork as I prefer a more linear sprund fork supported by pressure rather than the weirdness adding tokens gives to the spring curve.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
For me one of the biggest adjustments is how fast the bike goes down some of my local technical trails - it picks up speed very quickly so you find yourself having to recalibrate slightly, and I think when you first get it, or come off a shorter bike, this can make it feel more unwieldy on tighter trails as you are coming into corners quicker.

This has nothing to do with the motor, more how dialled in the suspension platform is, and with the added weight of the bike you get thrown around less. For me this meant the point at which the bike starts to feedback to you that things are getting sketchy is deeper into the danger zone for want of a better word, simple because it never gets that unruly.

You can be an average rider (like me!) and the capabilities of the bike will have you going down stuff that you would have second guessed on other bikes.

The good thing about this is it really gets you back onto the learning curve again - in my case I hadn't ridden a gravity focussed/capable bike in a decade or so, and was pretty settled into trail riding, but the Sommett has got me rethinking the way I ride in all sorts of positive ways, as you soon realise that the limiting factor of what it can do is the rider, not the bike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The good thing was when I got the Sentier it felt like a BMX compared to the Sommett. I am more determined than ever to get a custom frame now, as the Sentier just isn't Low, long or slack enough for me, and no one makes an aggressive hardtail Emtb. Even contemplating getting a batch knocked up out in Taiwan

Nice!

You sure you really want LOOOONG tho.

LOW is better for stability AND maneouverability than LONG
slack works just as well without a long reach BTW
(Been riding sub 63deg H/A for two decades. some were DJ bike short)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. They gain (and hold) momentum incredibly well, especially if you pre-jump/pump into anything.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
my Hightower just launches a lot easier so just getting used to it I suppose.
Yeah. My Capra is possibly the poppiest 170mm bike I've ever ridden (it's super progressive, light and running 26" wheels) but there's nothing (jump wise) I can't match; height or length on the Esommet.

The Capra is way less stable and skips it's way down stuff feeling like it's under way less control (and in a way it is). whereas the Esommet is hard to knock off line and has miles more grip. Launching either off any sort of lip is fine. but they're subtly different.
Like i said, work out the timing, pre-load and pop and ypou'll be golden.

Do you head up to the Tweed Valley at all?
Always up for riding with Ebikes. Especially if you like the steeper/techier trails.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The main issue is the top tube height, as you say Lower is really what I am looking for, at least another 50mm off the standover/top tube set tube junction for starters, and getting the BB down a bit- I wouldn't want it much longer, perhaps another 20mm or so, and shaving the same of the chain stays. I am a sucker looks wise for the top tube following the line of the seat stays as best as possible anyway.

I actually dont mind the longer chain stays on it as it climbs really well, but I would rather have the shorter stays for riding hard, and the extra length in my mind would compensate this when climbing and sit you "in" the frame more..

In terms of slackness it actually not to bad as is with the Fox 36's on there, so would only need nudging out a bit - I never feel like I am going to go over the front or loose the front.

Basically if they made an EMTB Nukeproof Scout I would be happy! In my eyes the Sentier is a more restrained Scout anyway

nukeproof-scout-290-comp-01-1522838325106-wrstjt61qq7n-1200-80.jpg

IMG_4079.jpeg

Last edited:

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
Anyone else got an always on pear tune. Looking at it my cable should have two female connections, one for power and one to plug into the motor. Then one male to take a feed from the sensor. Mine seems to have two males and one female.

Anyone got one to compare or am I being stupid(quite possible).

20190220_203649.jpg

gtaadicto

Jan 26, 2019
Leon,Spain
Does anyone know how tall is the stack of the E-sommet in medium size? Vitus doesn't show that information in their website.
I like to ride a fairly high handlebar and I'm afraid that the medium size stack could be too low for me.
If anyone could measure the height from the headset top cap to the ground (easier than measuring the stack!) on your M o L sizes it would be of great help to me.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I emailed Vitus about the stack and they gave me the figure. 628 for a 2018 XL from memory so fairly low. I have a dodge back and neck so am running 20mm of spacers and 45mm rise bars

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I ride 38mm rise bars with 20mm of spacers below the stem on the large - I also have 180mm forks on it which puts the front end up a bit higher.

I didn't find the stock front end low, but I like riding a high rise bar.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I ride 38mm rise bars with 20mm of spacers below the stem on the large - I also have 180mm forks on it which puts the front end up a bit higher.

I didn't find the stock front end low, but I like riding a high rise bar.
That is quite high but on a longer bike you need more height so it's not horrendous lifting the front.
(It's only about 30mm higher than mine on a small though ,so less than the difference in reach - ie. still similar proportions)

Darren Bacon

Feb 12, 2019
nottinghamshire

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
I've sent 2 back full of scratches and damage. Waiting for the replacement bike to turn up. Week later and they have still not received it back yet.
That must be annoying! At the price of the bike i'm amazed they dont send them out in propper hardshell cases with the wheels in a seperate box that you had to unpack with the courier and send back. They must be losing a small fortune with replacements, multiple shipments and compensation

Darren Bacon

Feb 12, 2019
nottinghamshire
That must be annoying! At the price of the bike i'm amazed they dont send them out in propper hardshell cases with the wheels in a seperate box that you had to unpack with the courier and send back. They must be losing a small fortune with replacements, multiple shipments and compensation
Told em I want bike protected properly. Just managed to get voucher for 20 quid out of em.took me 2 attempts though

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles