Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
I honstly don't get this.
The e8000 controller is far more positive to use and fitted perfectly alongside my dropper lever.
I switched to e7000 because the e8000 is too vulnerable in crashes (bent the levers on mine a few times and cracked the casing, replaced with a new e8000)
I've had the e7000 a month and still prefer the e8000 to it.
Unlike most riders I change mode while riding technical terrain (Up, flat & down) and the e8000 paddles are just more positive in action and much easier to use/differentiate between when your concentration is on the terrain and your HR is redlining.

an e7000 component in a e8000 system is a cost saving downgrade whether or not you prefer it.
Although. I'm not sure how you'd possibly know not owning either.

I wouldn't mind trying the e7000 switch but do love the e8000 'shifters'. I have always had a front mech and my E-Sommet is my first single ring, so the e8000 is like having a front mech shifter in that you can change the 'assistance' a big leap in one go rather than going up a single gear on the rear mech (get what I mean?).

I sacked the original dropper remote and got the one in the photo off Amazon. I also made a cover for the frame above the BB to stop muck & stuff getting in. I've just plonked it on for the photo but needs trimming. Might try an old inner tube but they should have a plastic cover fitted. A bad frame design :(

I've also re-routed the rear mech cable as it was too tight compared to my Stumpjumper. It was that bad I was considering going Di2 but the cost of replacing a damaged Di2 rear mech 'occasionally' changed my mind :(

IMG_20190121_11800.jpg

IMG_20190121_142624143-800.jpg

IMG_20190121_800.jpg

Last edited:

chrispymocha

Jan 21, 2019
South Wales
What are peoples views on Sizing?
I have a large whyte T130 and it fits perfectly but this bike seems like it might be larger.
I am a little concerned, being 5'10 that people have complained that they can't get the dropper post far down enough - has the seatpost area been shortened on the 2019 frame?
Thanks

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
What are peoples views on Sizing?
I have a large whyte T130 and it fits perfectly but this bike seems like it might be larger.
I am a little concerned, being 5'10 that people have complained that they can't get the dropper post far down enough - has the seatpost area been shortened on the 2019 frame?
Thanks

The frame will be the same on both years. I always look at the horizontal top tube length and the seat post length. I have a medium 2016 Stumpjumper MTB and that fits me great so use those frame dimensions as my template.

I checked these sizes before ordering my small 2018 E-Sommet and making sure the seat post length was no more than the Stumpy even though I usually ride medium frames. My inside leg is no more than 30" and seat post length on my Stumpy is about 430mm. Use the Whyte T130 frame dimensions and compare them with the E-Sommet.

The sizes below are for the 2019 model and my small framed 2018 E-Sommet VR measures up the same on the Effective Top Tube and Seat Tube sizes. My Stumpy Effective Top Tube is 587mm so E-Sommet slightly longer but no problem and plenty of room at 382mm for the seat to drop clear.
I didn't think they would be changing the frame dimensions when it sold so well last year and got good reviews for its handling.
2019E-SommetSizes.jpg

I had a dropper post problem with a medium Focus Jam2 I rented to try. The seat was too high when as low as it would go in the frame. It wasn't much and shorter crank arms would have fixed it but why should I buy some?

I've just ordered a new 2018 Jam2 knowing the problem and have some shorter cranks already.

Last edited:

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Speaking of the design at the bottom of the downtube don't be fik like what I wuz. I hosed my bike down with it upside down at the weekend, when putting it away I heard water sloshing around in the frame. Emptied it out but it had flooded the headtube and water and grit/sand had got past the bearing seals, once it's in it won't come out by itself. Guess it did the upper bearing when it was on its roof and the lower when I put it back on it's wheels. Pulled it all apart and flushed and regreased but the damage was already done, all feels a bit rough now so will need replacing sooner rather than later. Doh.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
And on the subject of the mode shifter I bought a left hand E7000 with a 400mm cable before it dawned on me that my damaged left wrist didn't like it so much. Was going to return it but moved it to the right first. Meant that the button ergonomics weren't quite as good as they don't slant towards your thumb but main issue was that I couldn't get it where I wanted without a clash with the rear shifter, cable routing was shit too. So turned it upside down and it's bob on for me, no clash at all and button ergonomics are as designed. Doesn't look quite as neat with the cable exiting at the top and the up/down is arse about face but 2 rides in and I'm used to it, bit like a semi auto box on a car. I'd wager you could change it with the PCE-1 box and software but can't say I'm bothered.

Will post a photo up later. The 300mm version would have been perfect but not worth changing.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
Speaking of the design at the bottom of the downtube don't be fik like what I wuz. I hosed my bike down with it upside down at the weekend, when putting it away I heard water sloshing around in the frame. Emptied it out but it had flooded the headtube and water and grit/sand had got past the bearing seals, once it's in it won't come out by itself. Guess it did the upper bearing when it was on its roof and the lower when I put it back on it's wheels. Pulled it all apart and flushed and regreased but the damage was already done, all feels a bit rough now so will need replacing sooner rather than later. Doh.

I've never washed any of my bikes upside down for these same reasons, ebike or not.

I might try an e7000 but I've just got a Jam2 with the e8000 shifters so might mix things up too much. I'll keep them the same with the e8000.

TIP

Jan 19, 2019
Kent
Well after a fair bit of soul searching I have finally pulled the trigger on a medium e sommet from CRC, for those that have received a 2019 model, what was the lead time when showing "in Stock"?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Never wash your bike upside down! The down tube design is the same as the E-Sentier in these pics, if you wash it upside down good chance water will get into the frame as there is a big hole where all the cable routing goes. It should drain back out over time, but what doesn't come out is any dirt or grit that gets in there when washing, and this can cause an annoying rattle when riding.

There are smaller holes on both the top tube and down tube where it meets the steerer tube, which is how water will have got to your headset

There is actually quite a gap between the motor and the frame bracket, and this allows water and crud to pass over it. After I wash mine I use a bike dryer to dry it, and when you blow into the area below the shock it actually blows any crap in there out the back of the motor mount, where there is another gap.

IMG_3346.jpeg

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Never wash your bike upside down! The down tube design is the same as the E-Sentier in these pics, if you wash it upside down good chance water will get into the frame as there is a big hole where all the cable routing goes. It should drain back out over time, but what doesn't come out is any dirt or grit that gets in there when washing, and this can cause an annoying rattle when riding.

There are smaller holes on both the top tube and down tube where it meets the steerer tube, which is how water will have got to your headset

There is actually quite a gap between the motor and the frame bracket, and this allows water and crud to pass over it. After I wash mine I use a bike dryer to dry it, and when you blow into the area below the shock it actually blows any crap in there out the back of the motor mount, where there is another gap.

View attachment 9908
Yeah was blatantly obvious really but I just wasn't thinking having not a had a bike with that type of design before. Live and don't learn, that's my motto!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah easy to do, lost count of the number of times I have been working on my bike and done something where I thought what the heck was I thinking doing it that way!

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
The one on ebay is up to 3250, that's what i paid for mine, undamaged with warranty! What is it with eBay that makes people lose their minds?

E-Glen

Jan 10, 2019
Bath, uk
The one on ebay is up to 3250, that's what i paid for mine, undamaged with warranty! What is it with eBay that makes people lose their minds?
Freaking insane!!
I saw that today. I'm amazed someone would pay that much. Do they not know how to Google?!
Saying that, we should be polite. They'll be in this forum by the end of the week. :D

Ryana46

Jan 18, 2019
Swindon
I took the plunge with the entry level e Sommet in the summer....you won’t be disappointed! Super stable on the descents, use mine regularly at flyup417 bike park. Just posted an album showing a few cheeky upgrades!

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
i have just ordered a size large from Wiggle and got my 12% discount. Interestingly, it took me over 2 hours to place the order and many messages with the customer support agent using chat to get the order placed. The problem was my address. I live on the Isle of Wight (IoW) and Wiggle don't ship E-Bikes to the island! i eventually had to have it sent to a friend in Bognor Regis and I will have to take the ferry and go and collect it next week. Strangely, CRC WILL deliver to the IoW. I am currently in an email conference with Wiggle to try and find out why they won't deliver to IoW.
Addendum to this post. After several emails, Wiggle agreed to deliver to the IoW?. Scheduled ETA was 24 Jan. well, it arrived today, totally unannounced. Lucky that I was home.. First inspection shows mark on fork stanchion and the dropper is not working?. I’ve tried adjusting the cable with the adjuster in the cable. Any thoughts on what the dropper problem might be?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The dropper routing is fiddly on the bike, I suspect the issue is that the cable is kinked in the seat tube.

Take the post fully out, and see how much cable is in there, see if the dropper works, then try putting git back in carefully.

On mine I have shortened the cable so that if I was to fully remove the post, I have to pull the cable outer back through the frame a bit.

Also look at the top cable tie holding the dropper cable to the frame, by the shock, if they have done this up too tight it can cause issue

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
The dropper routing is fiddly on the bike, I suspect the issue is that the cable is kinked in the seat tube.

Take the post fully out, and see how much cable is in there, see if the dropper works, then try putting git back in carefully.

On mine I have shortened the cable so that if I was to fully remove the post, I have to pull the cable outer back through the frame a bit.

Also look at the top cable tie holding the dropper cable to the frame, by the shock, if they have done this up too tight it can cause issue
Thanks, I will have a go at it in the morning and report back, ??

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Mine came with the post jammed all the way into the frame which had kinked the cable and outer as they're zip tied lower down. CRC sent me a replacement cable kit with new style dropper lever, bit of a faff though

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles