Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Carbon fibre is stronger and more break proof than you think
I'm well aware of the strengths and weakensses of both Carbon fibre and Aluminium. In certain aspects Carbon is less durable than aluminium in others Carbon is stronger. Ideally you just have to weigh up the positives and negatives of each material and make an informed choice as which material is best for your needs (and wallet). Nothing is "break proof".

you will be astonished. :eek:
David Copperfield making the statue of liberty disappear was astonishing too ;)

Here's Santa Cruz's strongest carbon fibre frame failing catastrophically

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Carbon may be stronger in tests , but in the real world it seems to have a limited life on hard hitting Dh and enduro bikes , great for roadies and xc bikes but I would only have a carbon enduro if I was rich or it was free . I’ve heard of and seen about half a dozen crack crack in the last year in the hands of some of the harder racers .its usually very hushed up especially if they are sponsored riders , They need regular close inspection . Same with carbon wheels , one hit in the wrong place can finish them fast
I do know that giant are right on the ball with thier guarantee , but not all makes are as good .
On the other hand in that time I haven’t heard of any alloy frames failing .
I don’t really see much advantage of carbon in downhill racing

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
IMO EBikes MOC could probably do with its own thread :), the Al C debate has been ongoing for .. well since both materials were used to make bikes TBH. Still their use in Ebikes is "new"... and perhaps the option of stiffer C wheels and their application on Ebikes. For me I'd say due to the lack of fatigue failure of C it's probably on balance the best lifetime as Ebikes are generally heavier and hence more chance of fatigue.

Anyway back on thread...I also noticed XL in stock this morning but possibly an error as they are not supposed to be in stock until 31/1/19... Possibly a single an unused return or them testing the system for incoming XL stock :)

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I returned a damaged in transit Vitus E Sommet VR from the first batch in December so hopefully the replacement makes it though the spin cycle of the delivery company ok this time.
I'd say the pedals are purely a spare set for the back of the van i'd not actually use them in anger so to speak. I'll personally stick some OneUp Aluminium's on as they are really low profile.

Check the bike over thoroughly and that everything is in the box but the issues with the setup, missing items and poor packaging could have been due to Xmas though.
Ill be checking all bolts and greasing the link pins and threadlocking where appropriate, will also let the rear shock down and check the seatpost tyre clearance to check larger rear tyre options.

Personally when mine turns up i'll be replacing the grips and bar, rear shifter (the feel was terrible, XTR replacement) and dropper post lever (post lever is fine ive just got a spare wolftooth in a box so that's going on). I've got a spare Transfer Dropper post but really the one that was on surprised me, not as positive as the Fox but worked fine.

Overall the bike looks way better in the flesh than in the pictures its just not that photogenic.

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Sounds like I may have to wait until the next batch as Wiggle still have not processed the damaged bike I returned bike on the 19/12/18. Absolutely shocking returns and customer support, they are pointing out that it can take as long as 2 weeks to process the return but they received the bike more than 3 weeks ago and somehow don't understand that 3 weeks is greater than 2?... so yes the ugly side of mail order bikes and Wiggles poor returns process, I recall sending back an item last and it took a ~month for them to process the return and send out a replacement so probably the same story here. So yeah looks like i'm going to be waiting 3-4 months possibly to get a replacement bike as I seems like they wont/cant reserve a bike they can only sell ?. I could just buy another now but i'd lose out on the 20% promotional discount I received when I originally bought the bike.

I'm not too bothered but to not pack the bike properly then fail to process the bike return in a timely fashion, even considering Xmas is pretty poor service and really highlights one of the reasons you pay extra and buy complete bikes from your LBS, so if your not patient like I am its possible to be disappointed. This raises the obvious issues around any warranty problems.. I'm beginning to think direct sales is a bad idea for some people especially if your not good with home maintenance...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Have you spoke to Vitus directly, they are usually very helpful - agree you should be getting a replacement bike as soon as one is available, not months

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
i have just ordered a size large from Wiggle and got my 12% discount. Interestingly, it took me over 2 hours to place the order and many messages with the customer support agent using chat to get the order placed. The problem was my address. I live on the Isle of Wight (IoW) and Wiggle don't ship E-Bikes to the island! i eventually had to have it sent to a friend in Bognor Regis and I will have to take the ferry and go and collect it next week. Strangely, CRC WILL deliver to the IoW. I am currently in an email conference with Wiggle to try and find out why they won't deliver to IoW.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
i have just ordered a size large from Wiggle and got my 12% discount. Interestingly, it took me over 2 hours to place the order and many messages with the customer support agent using chat to get the order placed. The problem was my address. I live on the Isle of Wight (IoW) and Wiggle don't ship E-Bikes to the island! i eventually had to have it sent to a friend in Bognor Regis and I will have to take the ferry and go and collect it next week. Strangely, CRC WILL deliver to the IoW. I am currently in an email conference with Wiggle to try and find out why they won't deliver to IoW.
Computer says no :mad:

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Wiggle refunded me so I've had to place another order but they say they will honour the 20% discount that was available when I ordered the bike originally.

I've repeated my request for additional protection on the bars/controls.. no idea if this will help but you don't get if you don't ask. TBH 2 mins extra and some bubble wrap totally eliminates the damage my bike received during transit.

As for Master Links issue, that's really strange that as they are sent from the same place, you even get Chain Reaction stuff in the box. Maybe it's an insurance issue wrt the battery and Wiggles cover is different top CRC. End of the day it will be money related.

I suppose you could have asked for the bike to come to you and the battery to go to Bognor then your friend ship it.. but IME its best to keep it simple.. so good call on going down the single delivery point route. I'd also hang fire on buying a ferry ticket and wait until the box is actually at your friends house before you set off :)

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
Wiggle refunded me so I've had to place another order but they say they will honour the 20% discount that was available when I ordered the bike originally.

I've repeated my request for additional protection on the bars/controls.. no idea if this will help but you don't get if you don't ask. TBH 2 mins extra and some bubble wrap totally eliminates the damage my bike received during transit.

As for Master Links issue, that's really strange that as they are sent from the same place, you even get Chain Reaction stuff in the box. Maybe it's an insurance issue wrt the battery and Wiggles cover is different top CRC. End of the day it will be money related.

I suppose you could have asked for the bike to come to you and the battery to go to Bognor then your friend ship it.. but IME its best to keep it simple.. so good call on going down the single delivery point route. I'd also hang fire on buying a ferry ticket and wait until the box is actually at your friends house before you set off :)
Thanks for the advice?.

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Invisifrrame now have the Vitus E Sommet VR 2019 on their store however looks like the only size available is Medium.

For the other sizes they need to get their hands on a bike in that size. They offered me a significant discount to take in a size Large as they don't have a template for it .. essentially they would fit it for free give or take a few quid and they get sales from the template so a fair deal if you ask me.

So for anyone who lives near to Shrewsbury with bike sizes they don't have there is the option of a full free pro fit (apply to any bike really I suppose). Photos on the site of the Medium they installed it on.

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Looks like RocketMagnet's return is on Wiggle's ebay outlet, or another large with paint damage anyway

Pretty sure that's not the bike I received, clearly been ridden as dirty tyres and says 5 Miles on the clock, all I done was turn it in a stand setting up the gears. There is damage to the Fork that wasn't on mine but that could be during return. The top cap on mine had minor scuffing and the one in the picture is mint. The pictures don't show the most significant damaged area.

My return was completed on the 9/1/19 so it is in the right timeframe but looking at the pictures and description then it's had the top cap replaced, ridden for 5.8 miles (testing a return?), dirty tyres, the front forks damaged and the major damage not shown. So unlikely but still possible I suppose....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles