gtaadicto

Jan 26, 2019
Leon,Spain
There is some play in the bottom eyelet of the Rockshox SuperDeluxe shock on my E-Sommet VR. Should I replace the bushing, the mounting hardware or both?

gtaadicto

Jan 26, 2019
Leon,Spain
How are your external battery E-sommets holding up? 3 years later my 2019 bike has finally hit 10.000 km and it's still going strong. The black paint is pretty beaten up and the motor has scared me a few times because of loose battery and worn contacts. The old battery has lost already about 20% range.
Last year I mulleted it and I like it more than with 27,5" wheels.

I'm happy with it except for the paint and the mud pit. I have no intention of changing it in at least 2 years.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I had the 2018 VR for about 18 months then got the 2019 3 years ago. 2018 did somewhere around 8-10000miles. and I only got rid of it as CRC were a bunch of twats and damaged it in transit during a motor warranty issue so I claimed a full refund and bought the 2019 VR.
it's currently somewhere around 12000miles and has had a few motors replaced (directly through me. Not wiggle/CRC). it's on it's original battery and it's down to 77% health now and it shows big time next to noobs bikes with new healthy and larger capacity batteries.
I still much prefer it to any 2021/22 bike I've ridden as it's far lighter weight than almost every 29er internal battery bike and geometry, size and wheelsize suit my more playful riding style better. TBF most of the heavier 160/170mm mullet/full 29 eebs are actually faster DH (with the exception of super tight tech) but I honestly CGAF about going flat out anymore.
I don't like how 29 front wheels handle. TBH I still prefer the handling traits of 26 over 27.5 too. So there was no danger of me falling for the mullet fad. ;)
it's still running the OG Lyrik, S/Deluxe and Guide REs (albeit with a new rear caliper). bars/stem and wheels (New bearings fitted last week) I swapped out the drivetrain to a more useable, cheaper, lighter and functionally superior 10 speed 11-36 deore/zee mix with chinese 36t chainring and sram chain same as I ran on the 2018. the 150mm BX dropper was swapped out for a 170mm same as I ran on the 2018 day one too. Paint is still good and I sorted out the cable nest issue from day one and run an RRP long front fender on the rear so it doesn't ever become a mud pit at the lower pivot/shock or the cable nest underneath.
I have been waiting on the 630ext battery coming back into stock but it still keeps being moved back just before the due date. (ongoing for about 6 mths now). - I'd have warrantied my 504ext battery by now if I'd had the 630. but I use the bike almost daily so don't really want extended downtime if I can help it. 20% loss doesn't actually sound all that bad for 3 years use IMO. Especially if you use/charge the bike as often as I have. But naively Shimano guarantees 60% remaining battery capacity after 1000 full charge cycles. (which will clearly not be the case)

Last edited:

Tone461

Nov 29, 2020
West Midlands
Gary/ All

Just took delivery of my BT-E8016 from these guys

Delivery was £30 DPD (lithium battery :( ) but even with this, still a good price.

Still showing stock but no guaranties (y)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I will have had mine for 4 years this April.

Its still going strong, though it is something of a triggers broom. No idea how many miles I have done on it, but its ridden all year round in all conditions. The bike is still far more capable than me, and I love the way it rides - battery range isn't an issue for most of my local riding. I have two 504wh batteries and the bigger 630WH. I rarely use the 630wh unless I am going on a big ride, as it does change the feel of how the bike rides with the added weight.

Still running the original frame, wheels, headset and Guide RE Brakes (but with Galfer Rotors) , and the Super Deluxe shock, but with a Meg Neg upgrade, everything else swapped out/replaced due to wear.

Replace wheel bearings twice at each end, been though 2 xt rear mechs, 3 various chainrings, prob 5 to 6 chains and 3 SLX/XT cassettes. Changed the shifter to an XT.

Original motor went after about 18 months, new one fitted under warranty and still going strong.

Swapped out all the bearings last summer, originals where not too bad but starting to go.

Frame has a fair few scratches etc but the paint has held up surprisingly well.

Currently the parts I have on it are:

Zeb Ultimate
Nukeproof Horizon Stem, bar, peddles and saddle
Galfer 220mm front rotor, 200mm rear, Uber pads
EN junction box in place of screen
160mm miranda cranks
Funn 44t chainring
Funn chain guide
One Up Dropper.
Mudhugger bolt on mudguard

Screenshot 2022-03-22 at 10.40.50.png

Screenshot 2022-03-22 at 10.41.59.png

Screenshot 2022-03-22 at 10.42.27.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Gary/ All

Just took delivery of my BT-E8016 from these guys

Delivery was £30 DPD (lithium battery :( ) but even with this, still a good price.
Yeah. That's a great price from a shop and a reasonable shipping cost for Liion of that capacity/weight. Sprockets hold loads of stock. Mine is on its way today direct from distributor (they restocked before due date) #perksofthetrade 😉

Nichneven

Mar 9, 2020
Scotland
I still love how this model of frame looks and even how the older suspension design felt. I like the external battery.
I sold both of mine ( Sommet VRS/ Escarpe VR) and got back into non powered bikes after lockdown. I did spend some time on the new sommet with the ep8 and bigger battery over a few weekends. It is a beast no doubt but I just finish a ride feeling a bit off. Small mx ride feel. The older bike was definitely closer to an mtb IMO. In steep terrain it felt like a bike not a pw80.

I am thinking about getting another 2020. Saw some of the olive drab ones on ebay. Could run the 7000 till dead and change up. I had the 7000 on the e-escarpe and it seemed ok. R120 getting the monies worth on that frame for sure. Well done.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Now swapped wheels out to DT ex 1501’s. Final pice of the puzzle, been on the look out for some on eBay for over a year and some new old stock came up at a bargain price so jumped on it.

Only thing I still want to change is the Miranda 160mm cranks as they are a bit flexy for my liking but the Shimano 160’s are never in stock.

BD60118A-B4CB-4E53-A4B6-F2BBB1F2999B.jpeg

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
Mines a 2019 VRS. I’ve had it for just over 3 years now and done just over 4000 km as I tend to ride my analogue bike a lot more and keep the VRS for E-bike group rides. Changed nothing, just regular maintenance. I run it in 50% setting for each mode and that seems plenty enough for me. I can keep up with all but the fittest E-bike riders on the climbs and usually catch them on the downhills as the VRS is such a beast. My battery is at 92% and I can easily get 60km and 1000m of elevation. The only down side is keeping the rats nest above the motor protected. I use lots of gaffer tape and also moto foam (tip from Gary) to stop ingress into the motor. So far all good. I intend to keep it for a couple of years as I can see no reason to buy anything else at the moment.
IKVZcpHMTw-hvcn8gVi3Xw.jpg
6YoIEhMMQs-BD2XAjlpz4w.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles