Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Pic for the thread:

prod159753_Black-Cyan-Red_NE_01-Main.jpg

Iain at the back

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2018
Labamo
I managed to get 12% off with my Wiggle discount which was nice so it was £3167.99.

I think that is such a bargain for the spec, and to celebrate I'm going to have a set of Hope 35W wheels and a new seat post! Once I get it muddy, the wife will never know!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I managed to get 12% off with my Wiggle discount which was nice so it was £3167.99.

I think that is such a bargain for the spec, and to celebrate I'm going to have a set of Hope 35W wheels and a new seat post! Once I get it muddy, the wife will never know!
That sir is an excellent deal!

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Awesome spec for the money , I’ve got a vitus escarpe 29er and Iam very pleased with it , great values for spec , top kit and a really tough simple build that feels like it will last .
The only heads up for all the vitus is the gear hanger bolts , remove and lock tite them and check regularly they are tight , not a problem but they will come loose if you don’t lock tite them

Iain at the back

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2018
Labamo
Awesome spec for the money , I’ve got a vitus escarpe 29er and Iam very pleased with it , great values for spec , top kit and a really tough simple build that feels like it will last .
The only heads up for all the vitus is the gear hanger bolts , remove and lock tite them and check regularly they are tight , not a problem but they will come loose if you don’t lock tite them
Thanks for the heads up Kernow, loctite at the ready.

Iain at the back

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2018
Labamo
Right then. I have received the bike and after a little fettling and some new parts supplied and fitted by Dom from Recoil Suspension, I am heading out for the first proper ride today.
New parts as follows.
Hope 35W wheel set
Ergon SMC3 saddle
Crank Bros Mallet E LS pedals
Spank Vibrocore bar
Ergon GA3 grips.

Initial cocking around outside the house and with Dom, the bike feels really good and composed.

I will try to post some form of review after we've been round Sherwood Pines today.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Right then. I have received the bike and after a little fettling and some new parts supplied and fitted by Dom from Recoil Suspension, I am heading out for the first proper ride today.
New parts as follows.
Hope 35W wheel set
Ergon SMC3 saddle
Spank Vibrocore bar
Ergon GA3 grips.

Initial cocking around outside the house and with Dom, the bike feels really good and composed.

I will try to post some form of review after we've been round Sherwood Pines today.
Good luck with the new bike and enjoy your day??

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
New parts as follows.
Hope 35W wheel set
Ergon SMC3 saddle
Spank Vibrocore bar
Ergon GA3 grips.

Enjoy some nice upgrades already , looks the gear hanger has been changed too judging by a pic that poped up on chain reaction , so maybe my check the bolts advice isn’t needed any more .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Seems an absolute bargain at that price!
What size did you buy?
How is the E8000 motor? Couple of folk in the CRC reviews moaning about excess drag. How is yours?

Iain at the back

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2018
Labamo
There is not really any drag but you do notice the weight of the bike without the motor engaged.

I got a Large and at 5.11 with a 32” inside leg it fits fine. Can’t get the seat post much further down though.

Feel like a great bike but still loads of setting up to do with the suspension. It handles my chunky frame with aplomb and there is a noticeable lack of pedal bob, unlike my Whyte G160.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
There is not really any drag but you do notice the weight of the bike without the motor engaged.

I got a Large and at 5.11 with a 32” inside leg it fits fine. Can’t get the seat post much further down though.

Feel like a great bike but still loads of setting up to do with the suspension. It handles my chunky frame with aplomb and there is a noticeable lack of pedal bob, unlike my Whyte G160.
Good info. Thanks.

I'm also 5'11" 33" inside leg but have ordered a small.Looking at the geometry the E-Sommet in small is actually slightly longer in reach (15mm) than my meduim YT Capra and a lot longer than both my DH bikes. I really don't like long bikes. For me it just kills a bike's playful nature so for the trade off over extra stability it's just not worth it. so since the entire bike industry decided we should all be riding bikes 20-30mm longer I need to downsize. Certainly not all a bad thing. More standover and shorter seat tube to run a longer dropper are obvious bonuses.

Is the red graphic on that battery done with decals or paint? If the former are they removable or laquered over?

also. How long in total did your bike take from ordering to your door? (presumably from CRC or Wiggle?)

Ps. Doesn't your garmin feel left out with all your RED colour matched parts? :p

Last edited:

Iain at the back

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2018
Labamo

Good info. Thanks.

I'm also 5'11" 33" inside leg but have ordered a small.Looking at the geometry the E-Sommet in small is actually slightly longer in reach (15mm) than my meduim YT Capra and a lot longer than both my DH bikes. I really don't like long bikes. For me it just kills a bike's playful nature so for the trade off over extra stability it's just not worth it. so since the entire bike industry decided we should all be riding bikes 20-30mm longer I need to downsize. Certainly not all a bad thing. More standover and shorter seat tube to run a longer dropper are obvious bonuses.

Is the red graphic on that battery done with decals or paint? If the former are they removable or laquered over?

also. How long in total did your bike take from ordering to your door? (presumably from CRC or Wiggle?)

Ps. Doesn't your garmin feel left out with all your RED colour matched parts? :p
The graphics on the battery are stickers and not lacquered over. The graphics on the frame are paint. The colours look much better in the flesh.
The bike took 1 week from order but it was in stock at Wiggle. If crc show the small as in stock I would imagine a similar lead time.

As for the Garmin, the green doesn't match any of my bikes, which I prefer. If I made it match one, I would need a different cover for each bike and I'm not THAT much of a tart

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks.

Yeah. The Small is in stock at CRC. Weirdly Wiggle only had medium in stock. Guessed it'd probably be a few days to PDI and 3 or 4 for delivery so a week sounds entirely reasonable.
Yeah. I know they look a lot better in the flesh. I'm just a sucker for a stealth black bike.

My Garmin cover is black. Dull and predictable. But it does go with everything and flatters the fuller figure of the old 800 ;)

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Good info. Thanks.

5’11 33 inside leg on a size small , your havin a larf now for sure , you’ll need that 250 mm dropper on that ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
5’11 33 inside leg on a size small , your havin a larf now for sure , you’ll need that 250 mm dropper on that ?
The 250mm dropper needs a straight uninterupted seat tube to work. The lower section of post needs almost full insertion in the seat tubes of the two frames I use it on. They're both 14" seat tubes.

Manufacturers are having a larf.
2017 Sommet (Medium) reach = 433.7mm - recommended rider height 5'7" - 5' 11"
2018 Sommet (Small) reach = 435mm - recommended rider height 5'2" - 5' 6"

I'm only using Vitus as an example. look at most manufacturers. you'll find in the last 2 years most have done the same with their sizing advice. Basically moving each reach length one size down which sizes out smaller riders who do not want a long reach bike (or gives riders like me much shorter seat tubes).
Rebranding their bikes as longer lower slacker. When in actual fact none of them have gone lower, very few slacker but each size has taken the reach length from the previous years larger frame.
Have you noticed how almost all brands no longer offer XS frames but almost all now offer XLs?
Consumers are being told longer is better. it's not. it's better for some things (stability) but worse for other things (agility/playfulness)

Last edited:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
The 250mm dropper needs a straight uninterupted seat tube to work. The lower section of post needs almost full insertion in the seat tubes of the two frames I use it on. They're both 14" seat tubes.

Manufacturers are having a larf.
2017 Sommet (Medium) reach = 433.7mm - recommended rider height 5'7" - 5' 11"
2018 Sommet (Small) reach = 435mm - recommended rider height 5'2" - 5' 6"

I'm only using Vitus as an example. look at most manufacturers. you'll find in the last 2 years most have done the same with their sizing advice. Basically moving each reach length one size down which sizes out smaller riders who do not want a long reach bike (or gives riders like me much shorter seat tubes).
Rebranding their bikes as longer lower slacker. When in actual fact none of them have gone lower, very few slacker but each size has taken the reach length from the previous years larger frame.
Have you noticed how almost all brands no longer offer XS frames but almost all now offer XLs?
Consumers are being told longer is better. it's not. it's better for some things (stability) but worse for other things (agility/playfulness)

Only joking on the seatpost . Surely that sizing info has to be a misprint , although I doubt you would notice the difference .
I only question your size choice because I have a medium vitus and it feels quite short in reach , in fact it was one constant comment in the tests I read before buying it , on a small my knees would hit the bars on tight turns and Iam only 5’8”
My daughter rides a small giant trance But sizing is similar ,and I really struggle to ride that , even she has the seat right back and often comments that it’s a bit short and wonders if a medium would feel better on the tougher downhills . And she’s about 5’5”
Iam always very aware how short reach is on enduro and trail bikes when I’ve been riding my xc hardtail or my roadie , although I think most of it is down to the short stems because the enduro bike is longer

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
misprint? er... no

stem length is irrelivent to reach measurement.
You'll find reach on your roadbike will actually be shorter than your mtb

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles