Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
I really should swap to the Wiggle front end rather than the CRC one when the bits I want are cheapest from Wiggle/CRC.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It's what I've done, although with the release of the Decoy it may not be necessary. :unsure:

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
It wouldnt be for a bike purchase in my case, being XXL I tend to buy quite a bit of clothing from their closeout deals plus quite a lot of sale parts to put away for use when servicing both my own and friends bikes etc. With such a low threshold to the lower discount rate it even a few percent on everything will add up over a number of items.

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
Regarding the discussions about can a coil shock be fitted to an e-sommet, take a look at the latest EMBN video. Unless I'm mistaken he's riding a VR with a coil shock...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Regarding the discussions about can a coil shock be fitted to an e-sommet, take a look at the latest EMBN video. Unless I'm mistaken he's riding a VR with a coil shock...

Still doesn't mean the LC is suitable for an (off the shelf) coil shock ;)

I'd be interested to find out what Brayton's shock tune is.
Remember he's supported by Ohlins

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
As I said a couple of times in this thread, when I contacted Vitus they said a coil wouldn't fit due to clearance issues (meaning it will work if you take the little shock mud guard off the back, but not if you keep it on) and that the suspension was designed to work with an air shock.

I have looked at getting an MRP Hazard on the back of mine, as they do a progressive spring option designed to work on bikes witch wouldn't usually take a coil.

hazzard

https://bikerumor.com/2018/05/01/191859/

I also looked at their Bartlett dual crown enduro fork, interesting bit of kit, but at 300quid more than a Lyric RC2 not a punt I was willing to take.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
*Generally.
A coil works better on a frame designed with a progressive LC
The E-sommet is progressive. but not hugely.

*it's not quite that simple but I think you already get what i'm saying anyway.

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
Thanks gary - Vitus have confirmed now that a coil won’t fit due to frame clearances, and pretty much reiterated what you have said in your post.

I check my pressure not because I think I need too but because I just do it on the front and back as part of the bigger clean/maintenace check I do from time to time.

Blast from the past but just seen a coil on the 2019 bike so it can fit ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Seriously though I need to get my Admin hat and tidy this sub forum up. Any suggestions for stickies people would like to see, thinking off the top of my head:

Warranty queries
Bike set up/Mechnaicals
Suspension
Motor/battery

suggestions welcome

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Seriously though I need to get my Admin hat and tidy this sub forum up. Any suggestions for stickies people would like to see, thinking off the top of my head:

Warranty queries
Bike set up/Mechnaicals
Suspension
Motor/battery

suggestions welcome
Can you make a Gary thread please? :p

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I would suggest locking this one and starting again, splitting off topics as necessary.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
FAQs

Baah ahha hahahha...

good luck tidying those up ;)

I'd forgotten you were admin

happy to help write a suspension sticky for you... well... more edit the one i did in the general forum to be slightly more relivent to the bike.

Nah... don't lock this... it's awesome!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Don’t worry I won’t lock the thread, i think it’s good to have a general thread that can go off on whatever tangent it takes.

Keep suggestions coming

Gary needs his own Forum!

Woody

Feb 16, 2019
Lutterworth
My bike arrived today, just over a week after ordering! On first look it seems to have arrived in mint condition, although the box was open one end so I am going to give it a good check over after work.

For anyone buying a Vitus from wiggle, you are not going to get tracking on the shipment it just turns up following the order which isn't ideal.

Can't wait to get out and ride it. Will be heading over to Cannock to give it a good run in.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Selling a brand new (vitus branded) spare battery off a E-Sommet if anyone is interested - please DM me. £400 cash on collection from West London or Worcestershire. Or I will ship in UK at your risk / cost.

It came directly from CRC/Wiggle. I bought it a few weeks ago, but have decided to return the e-sommet under the 30 day test condition (ordered a Decoy instead) and so the extra battery is now surplus to requirements.

Last edited:

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
How did you get extra battery from CRC/Wiggle? I'd be interested to order one as well.

You can't. It came off a bike which had been canobilised by CRC/wiggle for warranty claims. Then I bought it and sold everything on apart from the battery (which I intended to keep as my spare). But then I've decided to return the E-sommet on day 26 of the 30 days under the test ride scheme...

So its a one off (from crc/wiggle) that is.

Burnsie

Mar 14, 2019
Crockham Hill
Selling a brand new (vitus branded) spare battery off a E-Sommet if anyone is interested - please DM me. £400 cash on collection from West London or Worcestershire. Or I will ship in UK at your risk / cost.

It came directly from CRC/Wiggle. I bought it a few weeks ago, but have decided to return the e-sommet under the 30 day test condition (ordered a Decoy instead) and so the extra battery is now surplus to requirements.[/QUOTE
Back on the Kenevo??I’d be interested to know how you compare e sommet, kenevo vs decoy once the yt turns up? What were your reasons for sending back the e sommet mate?

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk

Hi Bursie.
I really liked the E-Sommet. I rode it several times, was completely sold. Found it much more nimble and poppy compared to the Kenevo. The engine noise was the only downside really, which does annoy me considerably coming from a dead quiet kenevo.

But then before deciding to keep it, I started riding my Kenevo again back to back - I'd take the Kenevo out for a few hours, then the E-Sommet and then swap again. Although the Kenevo is more of a plough bike, I put this mainly down to the coil shock (which can be changed on the kenevo to an X2 for example using a Bikeyoke.de) I was faster on all trails on the kenevo - even with its shorter reach and wheelbase. Plus no engine noise.

I was having a hard time then deciding what to do, and the Decoy was announced to throw another spanner in the works, which on paper kind of sits inbetween the two bikes on capability. I've ordered Decoy (haven't paid yet) to get my delivery date of June, but will demo first at the rolling circus before paying.

I was getting about 10% less miles/altitude out of the E-sommet over the Kenevo, and the Decoy has a 9% bigger battery so that may solve that issue also. Gary's experience with motors giving up and the resultant hassle with CRC also put me off a bit. My Kenevo is always under Chris/Berkshire cycles capable wings.

Apart from the engine noise, I'm hoping the decoy will be the perfect balance between the E-Sommet and Kenevo...

So plan is to keep Kenevo, and demo Decoy in May with a potential delivery early June.

Last edited:

corsair77

Apr 9, 2019
Winchester, UK
Finding it a bit confusing that the VR comes with what appears to be a 10-speed chain when the cassette's 11-speed. I'd like to get a couple of spare quick links - anybody know which would be the right links to get for the standard chain?

gtaadicto

Jan 26, 2019
Leon,Spain
Finding it a bit confusing that the VR comes with what appears to be a 10-speed chain when the cassette's 11-speed. I'd like to get a couple of spare quick links - anybody know which would be the right links to get for the standard chain?
Mine came with a KMC E11T 11 speed chain

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Apart from the engine noise, I'm hoping the decoy will be the perfect balance between the E-Sommet and Kenevo...

I honestly think it won't be

There won't actually be a lot in it between the E-sommet and the Decoy. E-sommet is in some ways a more capable descender (lower BB and more fork travel) and because it has an external battery the frame is just as light as the Decoy. YT have just taken a different approach with the 29" front wheel and shorter fork.
The motors are exactly the same.

I prefer the playfulness of my (old) E-sommet to a similarly sized Kenevo.
Partly down to it's lighter weight and partly down to the sommet having more midstroke support and progression in the rear end.
I agree about the kenevo being more of a plower. I'm not a plow rider though.
and i just don't like/get on with 29" wheels.
Kenevo's (stock) weigh a ton too and it'd cost an awful lot to bring one down anywhere near either of the other two retaining durability.

The Decoy has some nice features (but they're just refinements really) a nicer battery with the option to increase it in the future. and it's a nicer overall looking bike. If you're a two battery guy I don't envy you having to kart about a Decoy battery over a standard E8000 either.

corsair77

Apr 9, 2019
Winchester, UK
Mine came with a KMC E11T 11 speed chain
Interesting, thanks, that would seem to make more sense. Still waiting for my bike to arrive (hard to say exactly when given that they don't appear to bother showing delivery tracking data), so I was just going by the spec on the Vitus site. Maybe best to wait till it gets here and see what's actually fitted!

Burnsie

Mar 14, 2019
Crockham Hill
Hi Bursie.
I really liked the E-Sommet. I rode it several times, was completely sold. Found it much more nimble and poppy compared to the Kenevo. The engine noise was the only downside really, which does annoy me considerably coming from a dead quiet kenevo.

But then before deciding to keep it, I started riding my Kenevo again back to back - I'd take the Kenevo out for a few hours, then the E-Sommet and then swap again. Although the Kenevo is more of a plough bike, I put this mainly down to the coil shock (which can be changed on the kenevo to an X2 for example using a Bikeyoke.de) I was faster on all trails on the kenevo - even with its shorter reach and wheelbase. Plus no engine noise.

I was having a hard time then deciding what to do, and the Decoy was announced to throw another spanner in the works, which on paper kind of sits inbetween the two bikes on capability. I've ordered Decoy (haven't paid yet) to get my delivery date of June, but will demo first at the rolling circus before paying.

I was getting about 10% less miles/altitude out of the E-sommet over the Kenevo, and the Decoy has a 9% bigger battery so that may solve that issue also. Gary's experience with motors giving up and the resultant hassle with CRC also put me off a bit. My Kenevo is always under Chris/Berkshire cycles capable wings.

So plan is to keep Kenevo, and demo Decoy in May with a potential delivery early June.
Nice write up, Chris looks after my bike too, dropper post had a leak, he swapped it over for a new one while I waited, I bought the bike 2nd hand not from him and he just wanted proof of purchase, he’s a top bloke. I got the aftermarket spring fitted made by Simon Coventry, try that mate it transforms the bike.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
I honestly think it won't be

There won't actually be a lot in it between the E-sommet and the Decoy. E-sommet is in some ways a more capable descender (lower BB and more fork travel) and because it has an external battery the frame is just as light as the Decoy. YT have just taken a different approach with the 29" front wheel and shorter fork.
The motors are exactly the same.

I prefer the playfulness of my (old) E-sommet to a similarly sized Kenevo.
Partly down to it's lighter weight and partly down to the sommet having more midstroke support and progression in the rear end.
I agree about the kenevo being more of a plower. I'm not a plow rider though.
and i just don't like/get on with 29" wheels.
Kenevo's (stock) weigh a ton too and it'd cost an awful lot to bring one down anywhere near either of the other two retaining durability.

The Decoy has some nice features (but they're just refinements really) a nicer battery with the option to increase it in the future. and it's a nicer overall looking bike. If you're a two battery guy I don't envy you having to kart about a Decoy battery over a standard E8000 either.

Agree what you say about the Decoy as stock. However I intend to raise the Decoy's forks to 180mm and then run 2x 27.5x2.5-6 wheels on it which will keep a similar head angle, but lower the BB. Can stick it in High mode if its too low. The DPX2 will be swapped out to a EXT Storia LOK. The sus curve of the Decoy is supposed to be very progressive, so it will suit a coil, where as the e-sommet is very linear, So I'm guessing/hoping the decoy is 1/2 way between a esommet and kenevo. Rob said that the decoy pro race felt a lot like the e-sommet. Adding a coil should put it nearer the kenevo....

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Nice write up, Chris looks after my bike too, dropper post had a leak, he swapped it over for a new one while I waited, I bought the bike 2nd hand not from him and he just wanted proof of purchase, he’s a top bloke. I got the aftermarket spring fitted made by Simon Coventry, try that mate it transforms the bike.

Yes, I have heard great things. Did you end up running a lot heavier spring? I'm on a 502lb spring which is perfect, and Chris@berkshire recommended I overweight to a 600 or 625 Simon spring. Quite happy with the stock spring at the moment so didn't upgrade...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles