R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The new Rockshox electric AX Reverb post could be the Vitus owners new best friend, if it wasn't 800 quid.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
interestingly just found that the 150 BX dropper post is too long in the medium frame if you are 5'10 such as myself - I wouldn't go quite low enough to be comfortable on - I assume this would be the same on a large frame?
Are there any 150mm dropper posts with a shorter base?

I would try the ONE UP - Its not much shorter, maybe a few mm over the Brand X, but the way the saddle is clamped puts the seat lower than on other posts, meaning your seat would sit lower at the same insertion that with a Brand X or other post. You can also restrict the travel using shims, so could have a 140mm drop for example

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
This threads kinda of gone full circle, as we are now having the same conversations we had when those of us who got the bike last year started poking around it properly.

Nah its good to go over stuff again because there's definitely stuff that we all thought that we will have changed opinions on over the last year

To be fair half the stuff in here should be in its own topic rather than in a monster general thread. Arguably this should be locked and people should start individual topics, it'd make searching way easier and keep each conversation more relevant.

tonyker

Jan 28, 2019
Surrey
I have recently got my E-Summet 19 and I love it. Just looking over it today have after my first ride the other day, and have noticed that i am missing 2 teeth from the cassette one from each of the lowest gears. What causes this? I do not remember it jumping or anything.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
I have recently got my E-Summet 19 and I love it. Just looking over it today have after my first ride the other day, and have noticed that i am missing 2 teeth from the cassette one from each of the lowest gears. What causes this? I do not remember it jumping or anything.
shit, 2 teeth missing is not good, sounds like you got some alignment issues, but even then to sheer off teeth is bad! I presume you arent shifting under power? That won’t help. Either way you need a new cassette

tonyker

Jan 28, 2019
Surrey
shit, 2 teeth missing is not good, sounds like you got some alignment issues, but even then to sheer off teeth is bad! I presume you arent shifting under power? That won’t help. Either way you need a new cassette

Have ordered a new cassette, There is a chance I was shifting under power as was getting used to it. Lesson learnt :rolleyes:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Interesting that he's using the e7000 motor model, which I would reckon has more range due to lower torque

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think that's what comes with the base Sommett, but he doesn't say. If so that's a pretty good result from that size battery

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
I tried a range test of my own a few days ago. About 50% fire road, 20% tarmac and 30% muddy. I rode mainly in Eco (+/- 70%) and Trail (+/- 25%). Over a few rides, of mixed conditions, I seem to be averaging about 16 km per bar. I weigh 85 kg with kit and I have reasonable fitness. Temps have been in the 5 to 10 C range.
1549625834882.png

Reactions: Ian

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
BTW, the display indicated 50.1 km. It seems to over read by +/- 6% compared to rides logged on my Garmin Fenix 5. Anyone else getting this result? Is there anyway to adjust it?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
and have noticed that i am missing 2 teeth from the cassette one from each of the lowest gears
Got a picture of this?
Are you sure you've not "just" noticed the lower tooth height designed in to a Shimano HG sprocket to aid upshifting?
there should be 4 of them on the 46t sprocket and on the 37T there aren't shorter teeth but the tooth profile changes.

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
BTW, the display indicated 50.1 km. It seems to over read by +/- 6% compared to rides logged on my Garmin Fenix 5. Anyone else getting this result? Is there anyway to adjust it?

GPS works by recording a series of waypoints and draws straight lines between these waypoints and adds them up to calculate the distance. A Garmin Fenix is a small device with a small battery so the polling time is relatively slow.. therefore as you go around a switchback etc it can poll (record a position) before it enters and a few seconds later it polls after it leaves the other side so misses off the switchback entirely. Same goes for depressions etc it misses the distance... over long twisty rides this all adds up to a surprisingly large discrepancy Vs the real distance.

Open Garmin connect and zoom in on your map you'll see it's lots of straight lines, turn on the satellite overview and you'll see it cutting corners and missing entire bits out.. especially if it loses GPS signal for a few poll points it just straight lines the points its recorded so under reports distance also civilian GPS is deliberately inaccurate and varies. A larger GPS device tends to have a bigger battery an much faster polling times so for example my Satmap reads much more accurately than my Fenix. On my satmap I can go in and add extra waypoints if needs be around switchbacks to get it reading even more accurately the distance.

If you zero both and ride along a straight flat road they should be much closer if not identical.

Ultimately I'd trust the Bike distance as it's measuring the number of wheel rotations (continuous Vs polled) which is a fixed distance (about 2.2m per rotation of a 27.5 wheel) hence accurate... if you jump or wheel spin it can affect the accuracy but its effectively insignificant. Only time it would be incorrect is if the wheel diameter is incorrect out of the gate, you fit different tyre with a much taller or smaller profile or it's badly worn down.
Anyway hope that makes sense .. a quick zoom in on the garmin map of a ride and it will be clear why the Fenix under reports the distance.

tonyker

Jan 28, 2019
Surrey
Got a picture of this?
Are you sure you've not "just" noticed the lower tooth height designed in to a Shimano HG sprocket to aid upshifting?
there should be 4 of them on the 46t sprocket and on the 37T there aren't shorter teeth but the tooth profile changes.

Just had a look and I'm pretty sure that its not the shorter ones.

IMG_3663.jpg

IMG_3664.jpg

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
Thank you RocketMagnet, it does make some sense. I have my Fenix set to 1 second polling and thought that this would provide an accurate report of my rides. I think I will log a few rides with my Fenix and use my iPhone to log the rides directly in Strava and compare them to each other. Anyway, I am happy with the range that I am getting and bloody love the bike.

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Thank you RocketMagnet, it does make some sense. I have my Fenix set to 1 second polling and thought that this would provide an accurate report of my rides. I think I will log a few rides with my Fenix and use my iPhone to log the rides directly in Strava and compare them to each other. Anyway, I am happy with the range that I am getting and bloody love the bike.

I think you'll probably find your iPhone is worse than the Fenix. Ultimately I'd be more inclined to believe the bike recorded distance due to how it's measuring it.. For accuracy over long distances with no line of sight for lasers surveyors use a "surveyors wheel" that works on the same principal.

Did you look and zoom in on the map and see how the Garmin Fenix is calculating distance?

So I would just accept your Fenix will under report your distance and average speed etc and take the bike values as accurate.

Next time I go out i'll compare my Satmap/Fenix/Bike distances over a twisty 15 mile MTB trail and i'd bet the Bike will be the most accurate followed by the Satmap then the Fenix.

gtaadicto

Jan 26, 2019
Leon,Spain
Why did Vitus change the stem length from 35 mm to 50mm for the 2019 E-Sommet? :unsure:

The large size of the E-sommet is much larger than the large size of my current bike (Canyon Spectral AL 2014), for example, the reach is 40mm longer. So I guess I'm replacing the 50 mm stem for a 35 mm one ASAP.

tonyker

Jan 28, 2019
Surrey
Yeah. They're broken teeth. Both alu sprockets. Which cassette is it? Slx only has one alu sprocket. TBH I'd prefer none!

Its a Shimano SLX M7000, 11-46T, they are replacing it under warranty luckily :)

That is broken tooth’s for sure, how does the chain looks like as there must have been supplied a lot of force to do that damage?

Karsten

Did not think of checking that and after looking can't see anything that stands out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles