R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Fresh out the box, with a few mods . .

DMR Deathgrips
E6000 Controller
30mm rise Fatbars
Fabric Scoop Cell saddle (not sure about the blue looks wise but comfiest saddle i own)
Nukeproof Neutron pedals

Fractured ankle prevents testride, but initial thoughts are in needs a dropper post that i can insert further.

Looks a lot better in the flesh than i was expecting, and PDI'd well be CRC.

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hey E-Sommet buddy
how's that E6000 controller? does it have a positive click on the buttons or more of a soft push.
I'm really not feeling the love for the paddles on mine right next to the important remote ;)

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Re dropper length , my medium vitus came with a 150 dropper , its great for me at 5’8 but it’s as low as it will go and don’t run a low seat . Anyone a bit shorter would have to change to a 125 post , that’s in a reverb which generally have one of the more compact insertion lengths .
Could be worth asking chain reaction if it could be exchanged before purchase for potential future buyers . Looks like a superb bike , incredible value compared to most others out there .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
E6000 controller does have a positive push and click, nice bit of kit and under 50 quid, you just unplug the e8000 unit from the display and plug in the e6000.

First proper ride probably 4 weeks away :confused:

I did actually ask CRC if they could swap the post for a 125, but they said all they could do was sell me one and send it with the bike.

For me (its a size l) the main thing i wasn't expecting, but am very pleased about, is it has a very low standover, at 700mm, versus the 770mm on my BMC Speedfox Trailcrew, which i always thought felt pretty low. However the seat tube is taller, on my BMC i run a 150mm Reverb that as you see it in the picture at full extension, but slammed down, fits perfectly, whereas on the Vitus the 150mm dropper is probably 20- 30mm too high for me.

Pic attached of BMC for reference

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I assume the interrupted seat tube prevents the dropper from full insertion?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Exactly, actually looking at the two side by side now the seatube on the vitus is lower than Bmc, but if you look at the pics of the vitus the post is down as far as i can get it

On the Vitus, with the post as far down as it will go into the seatube, the distance from the top of the seat tube to the rail on the saddle is 23 cm, with the post full extended. On the BMC the same measurement is 21cm

125cm dropper here i come

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Worth comparing the lengths of the inserted tube on different models , having just been down a similar route with my daughters bike I found the reverb has a shorter tube than most , it was the only post option we had for her bike , every other post we looked at needed to be a shorter drop .
Reverb is my favourite so we’re happy but would have considered any make to achieve the better drop required . Upside is the reverb is on a great offer right now too

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If anyone is interested this makes the distance from the centre of the BB, to the rails on the saddle, 705mm, with the post full extended and fully inserted. On the BMC the same measurement is 685mm, so exactly 2 cm difference.

What i can deduce from this is that the Reverb body is 10mm shorter than that of the Brand X, as the bottom of the post collar on the brand X is 300mm from the top of the seat tube at max insertion

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
If anyone is interested this makes the distance from the centre of the BB, to the rails on the saddle, 705mm, with the post full extended and fully inserted. On the BMC the same measurement is 685mm, so exactly 2 cm difference.

What i can deduce from this is that the Reverb body is 10mm shorter than that of the Brand X, as the bottom of the post collar on the brand X is 300mm from the top of the seat tube at max insertion

I had them all listed at one point
The 150 reverb is 440 long and the collar 33 mm so it required 257 in the frame to achieve lowest setting which is 183 above seat tube
The brand x is quoted at 458 long but not sure of the collar size etc , in theory it requires 18 mm more in the frame which was our problem .
Also what none if them seem to tell you is the size of the cable mechanism below the post which in this case was fouling a suspension pivot through the frame
I can tell you a 150 reverb will give you 210 to bottom saddle rail , and a 125 reverb 182mm. If that helps
Good luck it’s a bit of a minefield isn’t it

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I think the Fox Transfer 150mm with external cable routing is just under 240mm.

Edot: On second thought, there's probably no mounts for external cables on that bike.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Last time i tried to move and install a proper post it went very wrong!

Edit: Actually looking at it i guess all you have to do is unhook the barrel nut?

Last edited:

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Hello all , got my XL E-Sommet on Thursday, only one ride so far and can't wait to get out again!

I have my 170 reverb with paddle shifter waiting to go on, ordered an E6000 controller last night after reading about them here. Mine is coming from Tredz for £35 (they have them for 40 and there is a £5 off voucher that automatically appears on their website). I know Tredz can be hit and miss but they've always been ok for me

I also have a 2.8 Minion DHR maxxterra to go on the back, hoping to get it on later today. Anyone tried 2.8s? Fit ok?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
On Vitus website says it will go up to 2.8 - you have aprx 80mm/3.25in between both the seat and chain stays at the point of the stock 2.5 tyres tread ends

IMG_0787.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I also have a 2.8 Minion DHR maxxterra to go on the back, hoping to get it on later today. Anyone tried 2.8s? Fit ok?
May I ask why you're fitting such a large rear tyre?

FWIW. I've ordered smaller/lighter faster rolling tyres for mine a 2.5 DHF exo and a 2.3 Minion SS exo for the rear.
rolling is pretty awful on anything other than DH tracks with the 3c DD 2.5" DHFs that came on the bike (even tubeless).
I see no gain to be made running anything larger than a 2.5 on a 170mm bike but quite a few negatives.
The bike handles like a pig already. I'm attempting to get some nimbleness back.

Thanks for the heads up on tredz pricing for that controller. The standard controller fits fine with the brandX paddle lever. I just don't like 3 paddles together. it's far to awkward/clumsy/confusing.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
A larger tire would likely raise the top assist speed as the speedometer would read low. 27.5+ is almost a 29er. This needs to be tested.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
A lot of ebikes come with 2.8s, I have mounted mine and just got back from a ride. The stability and traction were insane, disagree that it handles like a pig, I think it absolutely flies downhill! I'm loving it, even better than I had hoped for

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Also the standard 2.5 is Maxxgrip compund with the DD casing and the 2.8 I have fitted is maxxterra with Exo casing. I only had one short ride before changing so not meaningful but if anything I found it rolls better

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
disagree that it handles like a pig, I think it absolutely flies downhill! I'm loving it, even better than I had hoped for
Sorry. Maybe I should explain that comment further.
It's quick. I equalled my PR on a very well known DH on it's 3rd run. and it was wet. The original PR was done in slightly drier conditions on a 32lb 170mm enduro bike with very similar geometry.
it was nowhere near as fun on the Vitus.
it's a planted ride but an absolute pig to throw around. much harder to manual and much harder to style in the air. As a plow bike it's superb but I'm not a plow rider. if I was I'd have bought a large.
It handles similarly to a DH bike from 1998-2002ish but even less* nimble in the air which isn't really how I'd like any of my bikes to handle.
I'm a fast descender and still pretty stylish for my age but no longer really care about times (my strava defaults to private) and don't race anymore but know so I want all my bikes to be fun and poppy. Not an easy task to ask of a 48lb E-bike. I'm really hoping a tyre choice will improve things a little.

*Those old DH bikes weighed right around the same weight but had more weight in the wheelset/less in the frame and in my mind were better balanced in the air. I realise this comparison might have a touch of rose tint to it as I was riding pure DH a lot more back then than I do now.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Also the standard 2.5 is Maxxgrip compund with the DD casing and the 2.8 I have fitted is maxxterra with Exo casing. I only had one short ride before changing so not meaningful but if anything I found it rolls better
Mine came with 3C MAXXGRIP and that is far too grippy/draggy for an all round tyre for my taste. Motor or not.

Which are you saying rolls better? The exo maxterra? if so. Yes I should hope so (even in a larger size)
Why I've ordered the Minion SS for the rear.it's a dual compound which acording to my LBS is similar to the old MAXXPRO 60a I always liked on the rear of my 26" bikes

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Good E Bikes remind me a lot of big BMW Motorbikes, in that when at standstill they feel like immovable unwieldy POS, but one you get going the weight disappears.

One of my inlaws has a top end step through Bergamont e bike which makes the vitus feel like a full carbon xc bike, but once you are moving on it its brilliant.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Gary - yes agree that it's not easy to throw around in the air or skip over rock and roots but I wasn't expecting it to be to be honest, is any ebike? The new Canyon might be more so but I think the chainstays are too short for me at nearly 6'4". It is bloody brilliant though at being flung into loose turns, sliding and just hooking up and firing out. I also find it easy to get airborne as long as there's a lip of some sort. I'm not one with the talent for styling it up in the air but agree that you do feel the weight so can't see whipping it would be easy as you say.

Yes I think the 2.8 maxxterra rolls better than the 2.5 Maxxgrip. I had read a lot about them having a fair bit if resistance so made the change early. Should help battery range too

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The Canyon won't be. if anything it might be worse.
15mm off the chainstays won't make up for that 29" front wheel.
There's a lot more to a good manualling bike than chainstay length. shorter stays makes raising the front less work but controlling the balance point harder.

It is bloody brilliant though at being flung into loose turns
see? here we're going to have to disagree massively. it actually isn't. If there's one thing this bike is definitely NOT good at it's fast changes of direction. coming off even my DH bikes onto this it's night and day in nimbleness traits.
Lots of cyclists get all evangelistic about their particular genre of cycling. Especially if it's new (see Fatbikers, Plus tyres etc) I personally find it difficult to understand the blind praise they give to their genre specific bikes. Honesty goes out the window. with people saying things like "doesn't ride like a 47lb bike" etc. I am in no way saying this is a bad bike. It's not. but there are definitely weaknesses and strengths in comparison to a similar bike with no motor/battery.
Take yours to your local DH (or at least one you know really really well) and do one run with your motor off and another with no battery if you want to see how the weight affects it's handling. Removing the battery brings mine it down to around 40lb and into the realms of a more modern DH bike's weight. The handling difference is quite big. Yes. I'm that much of a geek I've tried this already.
I'm knackered much more quickly if I try to ride my Ebike the way I'd ride my enduro bike or DH bike. All because it takes a lot more upper body strength to ride with a heavier bike with any flamboyance. The upside is the added stability means you can ride at the same speed and just allow the suspension to deal with the terrain and plow everything with less fatigue. the only thing is riding like this for me is less fun.
Anyway. I'm off out to ride.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Full suss e bikes are definitely bulldozers rather than scalpels when going DH, personally i quite like how you can, from my experience, rail them into a turn and let the wieght work for you, i guessing when it lets go though it will do so in far more spectacular style!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it's all just preference. I know for sure which bike of mine I'd rather ride each and every descent on. On every single descent the E-bike wouldn't even come 4th ;)

#Spoiltforchoice ;)

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
It's not just preference though, it's also perception. So whilst I may not be a former semi-pro DH racer maybe my perception as an average trail rider moving to an ebike has more relevance to others of a similar background? So whilst you are telling me that my opinions are wrong and I have newbikeitis it potentially doesn't really matter to most people even if you are technically correct. Either way I'm absolutely loving the Vitus at the moment.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Hello all , got my XL E-Sommet on Thursday, only one ride so far and can't wait to get out again!

I have my 170 reverb with paddle shifter waiting to go on, ordered an E6000 controller last night after reading about them here. Mine is coming from Tredz for £35 (they have them for 40 and there is a £5 off voucher that automatically appears on their website). I know Tredz can be hit and miss but they've always been ok for me

FYI the cable on the e6000 is shorter (pretty much runs along the bars to the head unit - i didn't bother using the two rubber band type cable guides for the bars when i installed it, but in retrospect probably should have to tidy it up. It looks like you could also run the cable through the gap on the bottom of the stem plate too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles