Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Misprint? I wouldn’t be surprised.
When I was looking at the Vitus I spotted discrepancies between the spec sheets and the blurb in the description.

Still a damn nice bike, although I prefer the colour scheme of the cheaper model.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What are you talking about?

what misprint? reach numbers?

until 2 years ago 420mm would still have been considered fairly long for a medium mtb

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
This reach thing is wierd my wifes medium enduro has a 444 reach her medium stumpjumper has 414 but she say the stumpy feels longer my large levo has 430 reach and my nukeproof scout med is 450 i cant feel much difference between the two

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it's not weird at all.

Reach is the horizontal measurement from centre of BB to steering axis at the top of the headtube.
It dictates position/length of a bike when stood up.

seated length is irrelivent

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I know what reach is, are you saying its only relevent when you are stood up?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
in that case please refrain from giving me sizing advice.

:p
Im not giving you any advice mate you sound like you know enough to work it out for yourself i was just making a comment

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry. I thought you'd get I was just being cheeky with the smiley.

when seated. not completely irrelevant No. But reach is much more relevant when stood up. Which is why it's a better length to choose an mtb by than top tube (actual or eff)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I actually prefer a reach of around 395-405 on 4X and DH bikes. for all day comfort but still great descending (ie. Enduro) I'm happiest around 420-430. Vitus don't even make a Sommet as short as I'd prefer. Because #2018 #longlowslack #Fashion

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I actually prefer a reach of around 395-405 on 4X and DH bikes. for all day comfort but still great descending (ie. Enduro) I'm happiest around 420-430. Vitus don't even make a Sommet as short as I'd prefer. Because #2018 #longlowslack #Fashion

I've been riding DH and what would now be called enduro for 20 years. I know what I prefer thanks bicycle industry

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Reach is meaningless without looking at Stack. Comparing two Reach figures tells you nothing without taking Stack into consideration.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Sorry. I thought you'd get I was just being cheeky with the smiley.

when seated. not completely irrelevant No. But reach is much more relevant when stood up. Which is why it's a better length to choose an mtb by than top tube (actual or eff)
Yes i agree with that but reach is only part of the picture, different seat tube angle and stem length can make two bikes with the same reach feel different especially when seated although i can see when stood up that diference will be minimised.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Reach is meaningless without looking at Stack. Comparing two Reach figures tells you nothing without taking Stack into consideration.
Interesting, can you elaborate on that please

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
misprint? er... no

stem length is irrelivent to reach measurement.
You'll find reach on your roadbike will actually be shorter than your mtb
I get that , however the stem length and the overall geometry dictates how it feels when riding , you surely need to look at other measurements , seat angle seems to be the latest thing that’s changing , now that there seems to an accepted sweet spot for head angle .
Enduro and trail bikes really seem to have been so slow to evolve in terms of geometry , what I was riding a decade ago is so different now and feels really strange when I ride an old bike now .
Larger Wheel size has probably done away with xs sizes combined with increased suspension travel
It makes me wonder sometimes if the perfect combination of geometry and wheel size axle width etc etc has been known for years but they only change a bit at a time to keep bikes selling

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Interesting, can you elaborate on that please
Here's an example, these are two 2014 Canyon bikes.

1. Grand Canyon AL SLX 17,5" (M) - Reach: 420 - Stack: 609,5
2. Grand Canyon AL 20" (L) - Reach 414,4 - Stack: 639,8

The racy SLX Medium frame has longer Reach than the not-so-racy Large frame. But look at Stack measurements, it's a ~30mm difference. Let's enter the geometry data in a calculator like Stack and reach calculator. Enter the geo-data for the two Canyons. Let's say I want the handlebar at 674mm height. Bike 1 will need 35mm of spacers, Bike2 will need 0mm. Yeah, I entered a very long fork length in my example. If we take into account the spacer-stack, then the calculator says reach including spacers is 6mm longer for bike 2 than for bike 1. It's reach at your prefered handlebar height that matters, not reach at the top of the headtube.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
not entirely true for an experienced rider who knows his/her preference for bar height/stem length etc. Relative to their BB. Ie. the stack difference range between bikes of similar travel is so close it makes little difference.(a lot less than you are suggesting anyway)

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I'm just explaining why stack needs to be considered when lookking at reach. Depending on which bikes you compare, it may or may not make a differece.

Here's two comparable bikes, size L
Merida eOne-Sixty, stack: 644mm
BMC Trailfox Amp, stack: 620mm

A 24mm difference is quite substantial and it needs to be considered when comparing reach.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
at 68deg that 24mm will equate to around a 9mm shorter reach.
at 63deg is closer to 11mm

Either way. 10mm ish shorter is hardly the end of the world (probably just less than half a frame size difference in reach). Plus like for like you're probably going to be comparing frames with similar fork A-C heights, Head angles and Head tube lengths (which if you're looking at numbers to make your choice you really should understand first and be taking into account)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Hey - i am just about to pull the trigger on an E-Sommet VR, and had a quick question for owners - i noticed in the Iain's pics earlier in the thread that he had switched the dropper remote over to the right hand side with the lever above the bars - i am intending to fit my 150mm reverb on to the bike, but it has the newer 1x dropper lever - i am presuming this will interfere with the Shimano E8000 controls on the left?

i have looked at and tried a lot of the bikes out there, from the Levos to the Focus's, Haibikes etc. I am going for the Vitus, because aside from the value and spec, i wanted Shimano motor and an easily removable battery as my bike lives in a cold garage so would rather keep battery in the house. Also had a go on a non E Sommet and loved it. Funny thing is when i first started looking i wanted as hidden a battery as possible, but when looking at my set up etc i totally changed my opinion.

Also it looks like there are no bosses at all for a cage? Is that right?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Japsured has this same issue , he’s fitted the other type of shimano switch which allows fitment of that newer type reverb dropper lever on the left where it’s supposed to be , It’s actually the older model switch I think but I think it’s nicer than the trigger switch . I think cost was about £40 but hopefully he’ll see this and post more details , I do know it was a quick easy fit
Have to agree on the battery , having 2 batteries and charging indoors put me off the integrated ones , plus it’s another theft deterrent if the battery isn’t on the bike it can be removed quickly . I think you’ll love the vitus

Iain at the back

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2018
Labamo
Hey - i am just about to pull the trigger on an E-Sommet VR, and had a quick question for owners - i noticed in the Iain's pics earlier in the thread that he had switched the dropper remote over to the right hand side with the lever above the bars - i am intending to fit my 150mm reverb on to the bike, but it has the newer 1x dropper lever - i am presuming this will interfere with the Shimano E8000 controls on the left?

i have looked at and tried a lot of the bikes out there, from the Levos to the Focus's, Haibikes etc. I am going for the Vitus, because aside from the value and spec, i wanted Shimano motor and an easily removable battery as my bike lives in a cold garage so would rather keep battery in the house. Also had a go on a non E Sommet and loved it. Funny thing is when i first started looking i wanted as hidden a battery as possible, but when looking at my set up etc i totally changed my opinion.

Also it looks like there are no bosses at all for a cage? Is that right?

Hi @R120 the dropper remote does not work on the left because the shifter gets in the way of everything. You end up with it so far inboard that you can’t reach it. The other thing to note is that the brake lever is not mmx, so you can’t direct mount the reverb remote.

I really liked the Focus Sam2 but I don’t have power in my garage so couldn’t charge the battery, I’m loving the Vitus though.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Japsured has this same issue , he’s fitted the other type of shimano switch which allows fitment of that newer type reverb dropper lever on the left where it’s supposed to be , It’s actually the older model switch I think but I think it’s nicer than the trigger switch . I think cost was about £40 but hopefully he’ll see this and post more details , I do know it was a quick easy fit
Have to agree on the battery , having 2 batteries and charging indoors put me off the integrated ones , plus it’s another theft deterrent if the battery isn’t on the bike it can be removed quickly . I think you’ll love the vitus
Thanks both for the useful replies - presume its this switch, which seems like a great idea as i really like how the dropper lever works

Shimano Steps Switch for E6000 - SEIS Compatible | ELECTRIC BIKE SPARES | Evans Cycles

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Hi @R120 the dropper remote does not work on the left because the shifter gets in the way of everything. You end up with it so far inboard that you can’t reach it. The other thing to note is that the brake lever is not mmx, so you can’t direct mount the reverb remote.

I really liked the Focus Sam2 but I don’t have power in my garage so couldn’t charge the battery, I’m loving the Vitus though.
the matchmaker just needs a small adapter that fits to the brake clamp, you have sram brakes right?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Thanks both for the useful replies - presume its this switch, which seems like a great idea as i really like how the dropper lever works

Shimano Steps Switch for E6000 - SEIS Compatible | ELECTRIC BIKE SPARES | Evans Cycles
Yes that’s the one , I think it’s better to use and the top button saves having to push the button on the display , so much easier to scroll through your info etc while riding , it’s hard to see why shimano changed that to the dual lever ,

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thanks for all the advice everyone, bike ordered and E6000 controller on the way. Only problem is i fractured my ankle on monday so it will be a while before it gets ridden, which from past experience means too much time on my hands to start tricking it out! At least it gave me a good justification for a new bike to the mrs - e-bikes are excellent for rehabbing don't you know!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Dunno if you want to hear this advice or not. But don't fit a Reverb to this bike. The bike is so heavy that if you (or anyone else) picks the bike up by the saddle while it's lowered the saddle will have a very good chance of being pulled up. When a reverb is pulled up like that it causes air to get past a seal and causes the dreaded Reverb sag. Warranty used to be such that every time this happened you'd get a brand new boxed reverb. But not any more.

The Brand X that comes with the bike is a decent post, more reliable than a reverb and the dropper lever fits fine on the left where it's meant to be without fouling the mode paddles.

and the top button saves having to push the button on the display
There's a button on the display? Haha.. I'll try and find it tomorrow. Guess who didn't RTFM? :LOL:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just 'coz

R I P - E.jpg

;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles