Vitus E-Sommet VR Sizing Help

Boosted

Dec 7, 2018
Chichester, West Sussex
So I've looking to get into the eBike scene for a few months now and have waited to see what the 2019 models will bring. I was lucky enough to snap up a 2019 Vitus E-Sommet VR in Large on Thursday when they first dropped at CRC. After the elation at getting one before they sold out I'm now a little worried about the sizing. I'm 5'10" and when comparing the E-Sommet to bikes such as the 2019 Levo (which I was also seriously considering), it's significantly longer - by 17mm to be exact, I appreciate that they are different bikes in terms of travel and that the e-Sommet is an Enduro bike, but am hoping to get some sizing feed back from other owners that have one of these amazing bikes to put my mind at rest.

Thanks in advance.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Nice choice. 5'10" is at the low end of the size chart for a large. You can always get a shorter stem, but chances are, you will like the extra room.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The thing about the bike is that someone of your size could really ride anything from a small to a large depending on what you want from the bike. I wouldn't worry about it, I am a bit taller than you and ride a large and do not find it to be physically a big bike.

Last edited:

Boosted

Dec 7, 2018
Chichester, West Sussex
Thanks for the comments so far. My concern was heightened when I read a few other owners seemed to down size and I only have the budget to buy one long term bike and don't want to regret my decision. What are other 5'10 E-Sommet owners riding size wise?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You could ride Small to XL (as could I at 5'11")
The small is longer reach than most manufacturers 2016 size Large 160-170mm travel enduro bikes were. and the XL E-Sommet is shorter than the likes of POLE or Geometron would recommend for many 5'10" riders.
HOW you ride is the important factor in choosing the length of bike you're going to prefer.
Shorter = easier to raise the front, bunnyhop and change direction ie. Much more nimble.
Longer = more stable but more work to do all of the above.
The small has a 1200mm wheelbase, low BB and slack H/A with an extra 17lb weight nice and low down around the BB area. I'd be extremely surprised if any 5'10" rider genuinely found it too unstable.
I'm 5'11" 33" inseam and riding a small.
It's a pinner but very playful for it's weight/travel. Plowing through everything at high speed is not my ultimate goal. I'd rather be jumping and manualing as much as possible.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I see you're dahrn sahhff @Boosted. I'd happily have let you ride mine to try it for size but I'm 10hours drive away. Maybe some other kind forum users can let you have a shot of theirs. You're kind of on borrowed time since you've already ordered though.

Out of interest, What current bikes (and sizes) do you ride?
And what sort of rider are you?

Boosted

Dec 7, 2018
Chichester, West Sussex
You could ride Small to XL (as could I at 5'11")
The small is longer reach than most manufacturers 2016 size Large 160-170mm travel enduro bikes were. and the XL E-Sommet is shorter than the likes of POLE or Geometron would recommend for many 5'10" riders.
HOW you ride is the important factor in choosing the length of bike you're going to prefer.
Shorter = easier to raise the front, bunnyhop and change direction ie. Much more nimble.
Longer = more stable but more work to do all of the above.
The small has a 1200mm wheelbase, low BB and slack H/A with an extra 17lb weight nice and low down around the BB area. I'd be extremely surprised if any 5'10" rider genuinely found it too unstable.
I'm 5'11" 33" inseam and riding a small.
It's a pinner but very playful for it's weight/travel. Plowing through everything at high speed is not my ultimate goal. I'd rather be jumping and manualing as much as possible.

Thanks.

I too like a nimble bike that you can jump and bunny hop when needed, I also love facing straight down a descent and nailing it. I'm wondering whether a Medium may have been a better compromise?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have just edited ,y post as I meant small to a large, not medium.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry. My mistake. The 2018 came with a 35mm Nukeproof Neuron stem.

Odd that they've changed it.

although 2018 specs on the Vitus site didn't match the actual spec as sold
Geometry numbers between CRC and Vitus sites had a couple of differences too.

Reactions: njn

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Pretty sure they have upgraded the cockpit to Horizon Stem and Bars for 2019

I fitted a Horizon 35mm to mine a while back, as Gary said the stock stem was also a 35mm item last year

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks.

I too like a nimble bike that you can jump and bunny hop when needed, I also love facing straight down a descent and nailing it. I'm wondering whether a Medium may have been a better compromise?

Probably. Couldn't say for sure without knowing you or seeing you ride.

It's a sorted bike. any size will jump well. just depends whether you prefer to feel like the passenger or the pilot. The shorter front centre of the small simply makes pop n hop riding a little less effort.

I'm a rear wheel baised rider from years of happily riding short 100mm DJ hardtails down the techiest, steepest stuff we have around here. Never really been fussed about more stability and kinda enjoy getting sideways more than looking for fractions of a second on a descent.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Done a Gary (oh, the shame) and got rid of all the red. Think I will get some colour matched fork and shock graphics but I could go for neon pink....

20181208_151527.jpg

20181208_151521.jpg

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Hi Boosted,

I'm 5'10" with 31" inside leg and ride a large E-Sommet VR.

The bike fits me fine, I've ridden about 1000 miles now and I'm still very happy with it. Size wise when I first got the bike I felt that the dropper needed to be inserted about 10mm more for me to be 100% comfortable in the high seated position however when I installed 150mm cranks, based on a magazine review, this problem resolved itself!

I've played with bars/stems but I am back to the original 800/35 nukeproof setup. It's fine :)

From a reliability point of view it has been solid. I broke a rear wheel (my fault) and the dropper lever gave up, that's it. I replaced the wheel with a 35 Hope and the dropper with a Wolftooth LA mmx item which I find to be perfect.

Consumables wise I am on my third chain and second set of brake pads. Front DT Swiss wheel bearings also replaced just this week. Compared to my other bikes it's been fantastic.

I hope you have got one already as the 2019's seem to be sold out as I write. Good luck with it.

Last edited:

Boosted

Dec 7, 2018
Chichester, West Sussex
Hi Boosted,

I'm 5'10" with 31" inside leg and ride a large E-Sommet VR.

The bike fits me fine, I've ridden about 1000 miles now and I'm still very happy with it. Size wise when I first got the bike I felt that the dropper needed to be inserted about 10mm more for me to be 100% comfortable in the high seated position however when I installed 150mm cranks, based on a magazine review, this problem resolved itself!

I've played with bars/stems but I am back to the original 800/35 nukeproof setup. It's fine :)

From a reliability point of view it has been solid. I broke a rear wheel (my fault) and the dropper lever gave up, that's it. I replaced the wheel with a 35 Hope and the dropper with a Wolftooth LA mmx item which I find to be perfect.

Consumables wise I am on my third chain and second set of brake pads. Front DT Swiss wheel bearings also replaced just this week. Compared to my other bikes it's been fantastic.

I hope you have got one already as the 2019's seem to be sold out as I write. Good luck with it.

Thanks - just what I wanted to hear and great to know that its been solid and reliable.

Yes, I managed to pick up a 2019, they sold out in like one day! Anyway it should be delivered this week but what I didn't want to do was pull the bike out, put it together and then regret it due to it always feeling to big and unwieldy. If that was going to be the case i'd rather just return it unopened.

I believe that the 2019 has 165 cranks and a better seat post insertion, so this may help things in terms of the dropper post height issue you had.

Can I ask does yours still feel poppy and can you get air on it ok? Is it still ok tighter twisty stuff and do you feel in control? I think the 800mm bars should help. Also did you notice any problems with leaning further forward than on a shorter frame and is it still a comfortable riding position?

Boosted

Dec 7, 2018
Chichester, West Sussex
I see you're dahrn sahhff @Boosted. I'd happily have let you ride mine to try it for size but I'm 10hours drive away. Maybe some other kind forum users can let you have a shot of theirs. You're kind of on borrowed time since you've already ordered though.

That would have been great, but yes i'm down on the South Coast.

My last two bikes have a Santa Cruz Superlight which I built up in 2010, which I actually did a weeks down hilling in the Alpes on (yes I felt it and yes a suffered with terrible arm pump) and the last bike I bought was a YT Capra Pro Race. The Capra was great but I sold it as I wasn't getting out due my ITB playing up on my left knee - hence going e'powah as I hope it takes the strain off. Both bikes were mediums. The Santa Cruz really poopy and fun and the Capra much more composed and like a magic carpet to ride.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Hi, I wouldn't describe the bike as "poppy" but if you can jump well already I don't think you will be disappointed. When I ride steep ews trails I try to get my weight forward for more control and the increased mass around the bb seems to help stability and reduce otb moments.

My riding group helped with the sell out! :)

Boosted

Dec 7, 2018
Chichester, West Sussex
Hi, I wouldn't describe the bike as "poppy" but if you can jump well already I don't think you will be disappointed. When I ride steep ews trails I try to get my weight forward for more control and the increased mass around the bb seems to help stability and reduce otb moments.

My riding group helped with the sell out! :)

Well they obviously like your rig then to all invest. Do you think that's its for 2019, or simply the first batch released?

Ref jumping, I just enjoy getting air, usually off roots, lips and other debris whilst riding the trail - it puts a smile on my face. I want my eBike to allow me to the same - not withstanding the weight penalty of course.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
the last bike I bought was a YT Capra Pro Race. The Capra was great but I sold it as I wasn't getting out due my ITB playing up on my left knee - hence going e'powah as I hope it takes the strain off. Both bikes were mediums.
I have a medium 2017 Capra CF
The Small E-sommet is longer in every direction than the Capra (Wheelbase, stays and reach).
And lower by quite a bit than the stock Capra.
I fitted 26" wheels to my Capra to aid nimbleness, make it even more poppy and lower the BB height to be similar to my DH bikes.
Other than that geometry really close between them.

My small E-Sommet (with harder compound tyres run reasonably firm) IS poppy.
Poppy is due to two main things
1 > being able to lift front or rear (or both wheels easily) ie. a shorter wheelbase or higher BB meaning there's less leverage required to raise the axles at either end of the bike.
2 > suspension set-up. eg. Supportive suspension in order to have a good firm platform to push from. this can come from either shorter travel, stiffer set up or a progressive
LC and setting the sag point correctly in there so as not to rob you of pump.
additionally (rebound damping and tyre pressure affect pop too)

As Cisco stated above. Any decent bike will jump just fine given the right transition, a decent rider and hitting it at the correct speed. BIG long bikes aren't as poppy. It's just a fact and 100% the reason I bought a small.

The Santa Cruz really poopy and fun and the Capra much more composed and like a magic carpet to ride.
This doesn't make a lot of sense.
The Capra is possibly the most progressive 170mm bike on the market and as such can be poppy as hell if set-up properly. What a lot of people probably don't realise is how to set up a super progressive frame to make the most of that curve for jumping/pop. I'm fairly sure the superlight wasn't a progressive design.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles