Vitus E Sommet on the horizon.....

peteh80

Jul 11, 2018
Preston
Well that's the rear freehub fucked......103 miles?!
IMG_20181019_081450.jpeg
IMG_20181019_081338.jpeg

peteh80

Jul 11, 2018
Preston
Anybody had any issues with hear changing? My shifter feels pretty tough to change up. Hope it's nothing serious? Been like this since new.....

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
Hi Pete, how's it going? Have you tried replacing the inner gear cable yet - easiest and most likely culprit.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Well that's the rear freehub fucked......103 miles?! View attachment 6502 View attachment 6503
What?
Looks like you've just pulled the freehub body off the axle/hub shell without removing the cassette first.
Also... is the pawl spring (ring) missing?

Carefully remove the bearing seal and regrease the bearings inside, replace the seal. clean then regrease the pawls and axle re-seat the pawl spring and pop the freehub body and end cap back on.
You'll then probably need to remove the cassette to seat the plastic freehub body/shell seal. check it's smooth and freewheels, disengages/engages before refitting the cassette

peteh80

Jul 11, 2018
Preston
Hi Pete, how's it going? Have you tried replacing the inner gear cable yet - easiest and most likely culprit.
I've ordered some stainless gear cable this morning. Will it be better? Do you know if the outer cable is one big length or is it in section throughout the frame? Cheers

peteh80

Jul 11, 2018
Preston
Well that's the rear freehub fucked......103 miles?! View attachment 6502 View attachment 6503
What?
Looks like you've just pulled the freehub body off the axle/hub shell without removing the cassette first.
Also... is the pawl spring (ring) missing?

Carefully remove the bearing seal and regrease the bearings inside, replace the seal. clean then regrease the pawls and axle re-seat the pawl spring and pop the freehub body and end cap back on.
You'll then probably need to remove the cassette to seat the plastic freehub body/shell seal. check it's smooth and freewheels, disengages/engages before refitting the cassette
Hi, this is a post about 3 months old now, it's been replaced under warranty with a Hope Pro 4 hub and steel freehub. It was completely stripped and even when I cleaned the pawls and just greased the hub it didn't engage.
I also tried different grease which wasn't as thick but it didn't make any difference.
Going off what people say I think the hubs on ebikes do take a lot more punishment compared to regular bikes.
Just the gear cable to sort out now

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ah Ok.
I've ordered some stainless gear cable this morning. Will it be better? Do you know if the outer cable is one big length or is it in section throughout the frame? Cheers
The original gear cable is stainless steel
Outer is one piece

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
check the inner cable is nice n smooth inside the outer if you push/pull it by hand (while unattached to mech and shifter)
If not you need to remove any kinks/bends or if the outer has been crushed replace full outer
If it is smooth the issue isn't an outer cable kink internally it's either friction at the mech/shifter end. Most likely caused by too tight a bend in the cable or a poorly cut outer cable end. But check the shifter is pulling cable smoothly too.

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
Pretty sure the outer is continuous through the frame - didn't see any breaks in mine when I dropped the motor.
Stainless just means it won't rust if if water gets into the outer. Don't put loads of oil or gt85 down the outer cable before threading through as it gets sticky as it dries and attracts dirt. I use silicone spray on mine.

peteh80

Jul 11, 2018
Preston
Ok cheers. I think I'll have to remove some covers to see where the cable runs etc. Then have a play about, it might just need extra outer cable pushing through to free it around the motor area?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles