Vitus E-Sentier

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
So been planning to get a hardtail for the winter, CRC had the E-Sentier VR on a deal, and given how good the E-Sommet i have is it was a bit of a no brainer, especially as i was about to get a spare battery so even better value as i no longer need to do that.

Vitus

Only had a quick spin so far, but you definitely notice that it weighs less, much more nimble due to the geo, but still slack for a hardtail. Put some One Up Pedals on, Renthal Fat Bars, DMR Deathgrips, and the ohh so necessary E6000 Controller - Hopefully got a One Up dropper post turning up tomorrow for it too. Going to hold off on shorter cranks for the mo, as has a higher BB than a FS bike, and being a HT hoping pedal strikes wont be an issue.

Best thing about it is the colour - not going to lie, from the pics on the website i had it booked in for a respray already, but in the flesh its way nicer, kind of a gunmetal colour, so probably going to put the respray on hold.

Overall super stoked, cant wait to give it a proper thrashing tomorrow, and try and take some better pics!

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

prod159749_Black-Red_NE_01-Main-3.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Put 26 miles on her this morning - was really interesting, especially in comparison to my Sommett.

Firstly, and obviously, in smoother sections its a rocket, being a hardtail the take up is instant, and you can power up, down and round everything. The motor cut off point also felt hardly noticeable, i took my Sommett for a spin afterwards, and i think this is to do with how the suspension effects the chain, but i could be wrong.

However on more technical/rocky climbs you really notice how the rear suspension provides grip and traction on an FS e-bike. Now this isn't really a negative on the HT, but it means your standing up where you would usually be sitting down on a full suss. Really its similar to any hardtail, in that you getting bobbed all over the place and the rear skips around, and its a far more physical experience. One of the attractions to me with HT's is its a far more all or nothing experience, you cant really be lazy.

A lot of my local single track is far more suited to a HT/Trail bike than an enduro rig as it tends to be tight and twisty, and here the Sentier shone, loving to be thrown into turns and railed out, definitely more playful on the tighter tracks where the Sommett tends to be a bit too slack to really thrown into tight turns.

Only one real problem was that after about 20 miles the rear brake started squealing like a fog horn, and sending a lot of vibration through the frame - slightly at a loss as to why as i bedded in the pads and how no issues for the first 20 miles.

Overall i would say that this is a great bike, both for those looking to cruise around, and also anyone looking for an aggressive hardtail. However i don't think i would necessarily recommend it over a mid level E-Mtb (e.g Levo comp) for someone who isn't an aggressive rider, but likes to hit up local trails, and wants one bike to do it all since if you are not up for it the HT can feel pretty punishing, and riding a FS is like being on a magic cushion compared to this uphill.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
That is nice. Any idea how much it weighs?
Nope, and i doubt the difference is much between it and my Sommett, but it feels a lot more nimble and flingable, super fun on the local single track - might head over to peaselake with it tomorrow

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
Sadly the weather looks terrible otherwise I would consider joining! Really interesting that you noticed the snappy acceleration of a hard tail even with the motor. Really looking forward to my Raven arriving hopefully this week.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yup it was a lot of fun, good few years since I have ridden a proper hardtail and great to be reminded off how direct they are.

Also relieved that my body remembered how to use all of its natural travel!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Wow! those stays look LOOOONG!
Good for climbing though.

Oh.. and see that more nimble thing? I can't remember how tall you are but I'd love to give you a shot of my small E-Sommet for comparisson. (I already know I can't ride XL bikes in anything even vaguely close to a properly stylish playful manner)

I'd also be interested in hearing it's weight. But being the same spec as the Sommet you're probably right. There's probably only around 3lb between them.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think it needs em as the motor feels like far more of an animal in the HT compared to the FS - getting the front end up is definitely not an issue. It accelerates up climbs, but skips around, so the longer stays do give it that little bit extra on the climbs.

I hear you on why you went the direction you did with sizing, I am happy with the L in the sommett, but would be interested to try a Medium and may go that direction in the future. I think the main thing with the Sommett is that it just picks up speed downhill and remains so stable that I am going faster into stuff than previously, so find myself occasionally overcooking it on the twisty stuff.

On the Sentier the L is definitely spot on for me, as I would not want to go with a shorter reach/wheelbase. The bike is serious amount of fun, and well suited to my local riding. With the saddle dropped (no problem on the frame slamming the dropper post unlike the Sommett) everything feels out the way and super chuckable for a heavy old emtb.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
When I first rode the Sommet. I was fully expecting to have to deal with added momentum, and possibly an earlier braking zone. What I wasn't expecting was the added pump/acceleration whenever you drop into a backside, compression or deep corner.
My small Sommet is actually the longest reach, chainstay and wheelbase of any bike I've ever owned.

I've just spent (and still do) too much of my life riding dirt jump and 4X hardtails. I genuinely don't like long stays on a hardtail. But I'd stlll like a blast on an E-hardtail to see what they're like.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles