Vitus bash guard for steps motor

Crud249

Sep 22, 2018
Oswestry
Hi guys,

I don't like the fact there's no rock protection for the steps motor on my merida e160 800. I noticed the vitus has a bash guard which looks like it would fit perfect with the exception of the top 2 bolts. Has anyone tried this or got any better ideas for motor protection??

Cheers, Chris

Crud249

Sep 22, 2018
Oswestry
Hi guys,

I don't like the fact there's no rock protection for the steps motor on my merida e160 800. I noticed the vitus has a bash guard which looks like it would fit perfect with the exception of the top 2 bolts. Has anyone tried this or got any better ideas for motor protection??

Cheers, Chris

Screenshot_20180923-074223_Chrome.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You could make one from Kydex sheet and double sided 3m foam tape

Kydex is thermoplasic sheet (thermo formable) tough and scratch resistant and comes in various thicknesses and sizes. You can find it on ebay for not very much. I have some here I was going to use to make a downtube protector for my Carbon Capra from but I found the cheap zefal one fitted well enough and is removable so never got round to it

Crud249

Sep 22, 2018
Oswestry
The Amygos one for Merida E160 looks pretty horrible to me, but pointing it out anyway: AMYGOS - CARTER POUR EONE-SIXTY 2017-2018

Maybe that huge guard around the chainring could be cut off ...

I think Gary's suggestion of making one yourself would work better.
Thanks Mark. Yea that's pretty big that! But it defo needs something. I wonder whether using a sheet of thermo forming plastic and a heat gun would let the sheet heat up and drape over the motor and frame. Then cool and trim. Obvs have to be pretty careful of the heat by the motor is the problem

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
Not heavy at all. The cardboard box I ship it in is heavier.I would guess the whole lot including fitting bracket and bolts is 200grams.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think on a technical level you have come up with a great bit of kit, but aesthetically you need to tidy it up a bit. I really like the look of the one on the 2019 Huskys, though obvs this only works with their frames due to the design.

Husqvarna-2019-e-mtb-002-810x540.jpg

pexco-grand-opening-1S3A3555.jpg

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
Point taken. I do have a “rounder” version drawn up. Just rounded the corners etc. I know some people think looks are everything but the guard was primarily designed as a functional item so I didn’t really bother too much about the aesthetics. You can’t see them anyway.....unless you happen to be upside down ?.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Point taken. I do have a “rounder” version drawn up. Just rounded the corners etc. I know some people think looks are everything but the guard was primarily designed as a functional item so I didn’t really bother too much about the aesthetics. You can’t see them anyway.....unless you happen to be upside down ?.
I get that, but i think if you cleaned it up a bit you would be not to a winner - where are you based?

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
Thanks for the advise but I’m selling them as fast as I can make them so I think I’ll leave them as they are. I’m in the midlands UK. When I get feedback like this I must be doing something right:
It’s a masterpiece. Very impressed with the design and engineering. I’m very happy with it. Thank you very much for shipping to Australia

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I don't disagree that you are making something that works, just saying that at the moment you are making the only product out there, but in a few months the big boys are going to be bringing out some slick looking options that do the same job, so why not steal a march and tidy it up a bit and try and corner the market.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks @Ajktm7 ... and I Reeeeeaaalllyy don't mean to be a pain, but...

I meant pics of the mounting plate and how it's bolted underneath the ESommet/motor

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
what are the bracket and hardware made from?
Can you post a pic?

I reckon if you made yours like @StuE has you'd be onto onto a sure fire winner.
There has to be tons more ESommets out there than Meridas and a lot of the cheaper ESommets didn't even come with a bash guard

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
what are the bracket and hardware made from?
Can you post a pic?

I reckon if you made yours like @StuE has you'd be onto onto a sure fire winner.
There has to be tons more ESommets out there than Meridas and a lot of the cheaper ESommets didn't even come with a bash guard

86748DCC-16D2-4010-9539-745DFD7CC330.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles