Veloboy internal bike rack / bike carrier

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share a positive experience i have had with my veloboy internal bike rack, i paid full price and have no financial interest in the company. I did a bit of research and did a rough pros and cons list below. I've used it a few times and works well. You can buy them from The in-car bike rack: Veloboy

Please find a few pics and some thoughts below

Regards

Mark

towbar/ roofrack pros and cons
+keeps 100% of the mud out of your car
+some boot style cars might not suit a veloboy or similar
- your £4000+ pride and joy might fall off
-unless you have a wide car the bikes are often wider than the car
-difficult to lift bikes onto the roof
-bikes are not very secure from theft
-someone might drive into the back of your towbar and smash your bikes
-you may need to pay for a towbar everytime you change your car

veloboy pros and cons
+secure, no need for a towbar
+simple to use when you get the hang of it
-you have to remove both wheels if your car is smaller
-a tiny bit of dirt may into your car
-difficult to fit more than 2 people in the car with the bikes
-expensive for what it is, you could probably build a diy one for cheap. I decided to pay up for something that works rather than faff about.

thumbnail_20201025_141358.jpg

thumbnail_20201025_130935.jpg
thumbnail_20201024_081045.jpg

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
Still loving my veloboy, such a good idea in my humble opinion. I reckon i could comfortably get 2 ebikes in a vw golf. Here it is with one trek powerfly 2018

thumbnail_20201107_071800.jpg

thumbnail_20201107_071806.jpg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Glad you are having a positive experience..personally unless I'm missing something I really don't see the advantage ( if you are transporting just 1 bike ) in that in car system over just having a heavy duty plastic covering the whole of the rear and laying the bike flat..
In fact with the seats folded down one major plus point is that I only have to take the front wheel off ..
To ensure no accidental damage when lifting in and out I bought a heavy duty rug from B&M Stores for very little money (rubber backed and apparently it doesnt stain either) which drapes over the bumper giving full protection.
The only real disadvantage is that the bike is twice the weight of its predecessor..but I havent done my back in yet ...
Total cost about £11.00..and any mud that comes off the bike goes straight on to the plastic sheet ..which is then taken out and given a good shake down ..
When not in use this is folded and stored away .
I wouldn't go to the expense of fitting a tow bar / bike carrier and would also have nightmares of something crashing into my pride & joy ..plus there is the hidden cost of increased motor insurance ..for having a tow bar fitted ( so anyone who hasn't declared this to their insurance company might be in for a bit of a surprise ..should they have an accident which is their fault ) ..
Anyway like I said ..just my tuppence worth ..and glad its working for you ..?

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
Glad you are having a positive experience..personally unless I'm missing something I really don't see the advantage ( if you are transporting just 1 bike ) in that in car system over just having a heavy duty plastic covering the whole of the rear and laying the bike flat..
In fact with the seats folded down one major plus point is that I only have to take the front wheel off ..
To ensure no accidental damage when lifting in and out I bought a heavy duty rug from B&M Stores for very little money (rubber backed and apparently it doesnt stain either) which drapes over the bumper giving full protection.
The only real disadvantage is that the bike is twice the weight of its predecessor..but I havent done my back in yet ...
Total cost about £11.00..and any mud that comes off the bike goes straight on to the plastic sheet ..which is then taken out and given a good shake down ..
When not in use this is folded and stored away .
I wouldn't go to the expense of fitting a tow bar / bike carrier and would also have nightmares of something crashing into my pride & joy ..plus there is the hidden cost of increased motor insurance ..for having a tow bar fitted ( so anyone who hasn't declared this to their insurance company might be in for a bit of a surprise ..should they have an accident which is their fault ) ..
Anyway like I said ..just my tuppence worth ..and glad its working for you ..?

All good information and you raise some valid points.... In the end it is very much and each their own situation. I would say i have tried using putting the bike on its side method and everytime i put the bike in i hit the car, mud does escape and the bike can move while driving which might make the car tatty eventually. I reckon if you used a veloboy a hundred times on a new car it would still look very new at the end. But 450euros is alot more than 11 quid. I say good luck to you sir!

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles