Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Product Image:
vaude.jpg

Product name: Vaude Bike Gaiter Long
Price paid: £25.00
Score (out of 10): 8

Review: @Kiwi in Wales wouldn't shut up about these ( :p ) so I decided I'd give them a try and I'm very glad I did.

I've ridden in them twice now, the first time in a typical FoD slopfest and the second on a claggy mud ride. Both times I've finished with warm, dry feet. So they work. (y)

They are made of a thin water and wind repellent breathable material. I'm not sure how breathable they are, but I do get a bit sweaty under them. I'm also not sure how durable they'll prove to be in a crash, but if anyone can test that out, it's me. :D

I got them from Amazon (sorry :( ) and bought 2 sizes as I wear a 46 shoe and the sizes are 44-46 and 47-49 and FiveTens are quite bulky. As it turned out, the 44-46 were pretty much spot on with no excess material flapping around at the toe and the Velcro fastening at the back fitting securely. There are adjuster straps over the toe and at the front of the ankle to take up any slack in the material.

The only niggle for me is the fastening at the back, on one side it's a full run of Velcro but the other side is pads with gaps in between. This my not be an issue, but I won't know until I've ridden in some proper English rain.

Here's a pic of my shoe after today's clagfest; as you can see, some mud has been forced up between the show and the gaiter but overall the shoe is clean and dry.

IMG_3417.JPG

Last edited:

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I got some after @Kiwi in Wales recommendation and can vouch for them too. Nothing like warm dry feet (or in my case foot ?) when the rest of you is covered in mud....

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The only niggle for me is the fastening at the back, on one side it's a full run of Velcro but the other side is pads with gaps in between. This my not be an issue, but I won't know until I've ridden in some proper English rain.
An update. The gaps in the velcro do let in water if you ride through deep puddles and the splash hits them just right but my shoes are still far less wet than they'd be without the gaiters.

JCB

Oct 7, 2019
Burnie, Tasmania
I have never seen those before, but I am keen to try them out.
Similar concept to Endura flat pedal over shoe that I was considering, but those ones looks proper...
Any more photos of them on your rides ?
Also which pants do you use with them ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No recent pics, sorry.

I either wear them with shorts and kneepads or ex-MOD Gore-Tex trousers, depending on weather conditions on the day. The gaiters are long enough that they are over the neoprene kneepads.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Dom is 100% correct. The gaps in the velcro at the back will sometimes let water in if you ride through deep puddles depending on your foot or leg position.
However, if you or someone in your family is familiar with a sewing machine. It will take 15 minutes and a few £’s worth of Velcro to add the following fix. A sewing shop will do the same for a fair price as well I presume ;)

Just so you know, the gaiters below are well over a year old and have worn really well considering I use flats with long pins.

Before
3A80DB6A-E89B-46DD-9718-69877A87877E.jpeg

After
FBB8B323-F8C4-4318-8C9A-9C0CAE2DD310.jpeg

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You should send that fix to Vaude in exchange for a new pair. It uses the same amount of velcro as they use now and is easier to manufacture with a single wide strip running top to bottom as opposed to 4 sideways strips.

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Mine arrived yesterday. Looking forward to trying them out with my FiveTen.

Don’t think I’ll need them with the Northwave Himalaya boot when it comes back from LSR from being converted with FiveTen Stealth Rubber. They’re waterproof and combined with my Endura MT500 trousers I should be able to just hose them down whilst doing the bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles