Vans, who's got a van just for adventuring?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
View attachment 19453 Here's my setup. I can charge the leisure batteries from solar, the van engine and also from a hookup on a campsite etc using the charger on the right.
I've got 2 batteries as I run a fridge in the van, I reckon you could get away with one as an ebike charging station, you just need the right size invertor.
My charger is 2.5amp @ 230 (Shimano) so 2.5 X 230 = 575 watts minimum, so I got an 800 to be safe.
I'd be wary of cheap invertors as they rarely give the rated output and might give a dirty signal that causes issues with electronics.

I had my ebike charger on test to see exactly what it was drawing and never went over 0.8 not sure if that's volts or ah now.
Either way it's nowt

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
I had my ebike charger on test to see exactly what it was drawing and never went over 0.8 not sure if that's volts or ah now.
Either way it's nowt

That's probably amps. It was probably that low because the battery wasn't empty, as the battery gets charged it will draw less as it's harder to charge.
It should say on the charger what the max draw is and you should really spec any system for that.

Lee

Jun 11, 2019
Lancaster
0.8 amps is about right for ~240 volt uk supply as it's around 190 watts.

The charger will accept a voltage range input, probably 100 - 240 and has a max amp draw of 2.5, the max amps is drawn when at the lowest voltage as the energy required is in watts, therefore 100v may draw towards 2.5 amps but at 230/240 volts the amps will be a lot less.

These chargers generally seem to be charging (output) a 42v pack at up to 4 amps meaning it requires around 168 watt plus inefficiencies in the charger and inverter if used.

I tested my charger at home and the maximum it drew was 175 watts which was 0.75 amps at 234 volts. a 250/300w inverter should be more than enough to run one of these chargers.

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
I have a promaster (ducato) set up for camping and bikes. I'll post some pics when I get a few minutes. I just added another battery and solar panel. Now I have 390W solar, and 200+ amp hours of 12V battery. 2000W xantrex true sine inverter.

I've measured the shimano charger at 175-180W.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Papab, what type are your batteries,
Lithium, or agm ?
I was contemplating lithium but cost stopped me so bought an AGM 130 with intention of another when I'm ready which in reality still only gives me about 150ah and wondering if it's enuff

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
AGM. A 200 ah Renogy. Thats about 2400 watt hours. With 2 500 wh e-bike batteries, I should be able to charge those up in the morning and stay above 50% state of charge on the AGM battery and if it's sunny, or I drive the van I'll get the AGM recharged on the same day. If you only have 1 e-bike to charge up the 150 ah should be enough. Try to get it charged up everyday though, lead acid batteries sulphate if they are not at 100%.

gelfy666

Aug 17, 2018
Telford
I've got a Renault Tragic for taking bikes about... But would love to make it like this one.

FB_IMG_1570129087900.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I don't think so, as far as I can tell only the first Gen Traffic was available as a 4x4.

Parrychops

Sep 24, 2019
London
I've just bought a transit custom panel van for the sole use of me and my Mrs to increase adventure time by piling it with bikes tents, and the odd motorbike ?
Anybody else do van adventuring? Looking for ideas for rear storage and different configurations for carrying bikes and making life a bit easier, 12v power point in the rear for a pressure washer etc ???
I have a VW transporter for my work (photographer) but could really make do with an estate car. I mainly use it for lugging bikes, surf boards etc around. I recently watched a review of an ebike on you tube and the guy rocked up to the trail in a van and he had this ingenious contraption installed against the bulk head. So simple, just a rack where the front tyres locked in. Have you ever seen this before? Have t been able to find anything similar online. I guess you could have one made.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
I recently watched a review of an ebike on you tube and the guy rocked up to the trail in a van and he had this ingenious contraption installed against the bulk head. So simple, just a rack where the front tyres locked in.

any links to the YT review? :unsure:

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
I like that a lot. Caddy Maxi ?
Yep, Caddy Maxi Life (Maxi = LWB, Life = MPV version). Preferred this over a standard Caddy panel van and then retrofitting glass & seats. The Life already has them and also classed M1 not N1 on the V5 by DVLA so car speed limits apply too.

Mine’s slightly non-standard, I’ve got 18” GTI alloys, 60mm lowering, sportline sidebars, front splitter, remapped to 190bhp and various other mods.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I've just bought a transit custom panel van for the sole use of me and my Mrs to increase adventure time by piling it with bikes tents, and the odd motorbike ?
Anybody else do van adventuring? Looking for ideas for rear storage and different configurations for carrying bikes and making life a bit easier, 12v power point in the rear for a pressure washer etc ???
I've a Toyota Alphard converted to camper. I sometimes go kayaking or hill walking so leave bike inside van dismantled. A garage at back of van would be handy Ebikes an expensive item to leave on rack out in remote areas.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Yep, Caddy Maxi Life (Maxi = LWB, Life = MPV version). Preferred this over a standard Caddy panel van and then retrofitting glass & seats. The Life already has them and also classed M1 not N1 on the V5 by DVLA so car speed limits apply too.

Mine’s slightly non-standard, I’ve got 18” GTI alloys, 60mm lowering, sportline sidebars, front splitter, remapped to 190bhp and various other mods.
This looks ace, is it similar to the touran ? Sharan? Can’t remember the VW car that looks like this.

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
This looks ace, is it similar to the touran ? Sharan? Can’t remember the VW car that looks like this.
Thanks - from 2004 - 2011, the mk3 Caddy was loosely based on the Touran, and many of the interior parts can be retrofitted. From 2011, it was no longer based on the Touran but shared many parts with the Golf mk5 & mk6. However like most VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat models, much of the VAG parts bin applies.

The Caddy Maxi Life as I have is basically a van derived car, so a Caddy 2K mk4 van with factory rear seats & glass

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Thanks - from 2004 - 2011, the mk3 Caddy was loosely based on the Touran, and many of the interior parts can be retrofitted. From 2011, it was no longer based on the Touran but shared many parts with the Golf mk5 & mk6. However like most VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat models, much of the VAG parts bin applies.

The Caddy Maxi Life as I have is basically a van derived car, so a Caddy 2K mk4 van with factory rear seats & glass
Fab, looks like a contender, the VW transporters are too expensive.

Bean

Jul 21, 2018
Hull, UK
Have a Peugeot Expert Mk2 on a 65 plate. Use as my day vehicle and for towing a caravan, been a huge upgrade for biking and towing. Getting 40mpg out of it and with a 6 spd box it's great for motorways, was cheapest for insurance for me as wanted as a private and commuting vehicle.
Using a Bikestow for holding the bikes in place and shelving was in it when we bought it.

IMG_20190618_134442.jpg

IMG_20190618_134509.jpg

IMG_20190618_135650.jpg

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Have a Peugeot Expert Mk2 on a 65 plate. Use as my day vehicle and for towing a caravan, been a huge upgrade for biking and towing. Getting 40mpg out of it and with a 6 spd box it's great for motorways, was cheapest for insurance for me as wanted as a private and commuting vehicle.
Using a Bikestow for holding the bikes in place and shelving was in it when we bought it.

View attachment 19807

View attachment 19808

View attachment 19809
That’s cool

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I like the sound of 240v charging in the van. I'm no electrician so was wondering how to do that? Any tips and websites fot kit and instructions?
I think these "solar generators" may be a good solution for a weekend warrior like me. I have a van but don't want to do a full solar/electrical system. I think a couple of solar panels and a solar generator may be the ticket.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles