Vans, who's got a van just for adventuring?

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I just book into a campsite with electric hook up pitches.
Hey campgrounds don’t work for me. Hard to find one where you need one, can’t count on availability and doesn’t always fit my schedule either. I went across the US for five weeks last year and didn’t spend a dime in campground fees.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Horse for courses I reckon. I dont tour. I pre book a campsite at a location I intend to mtb for a few days or a week and use an air tent rather that the van for sleeping and cooking.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Horse for courses I reckon. I dont tour. I pre book a campsite at a location I intend to mtb for a few days or a week and use an air tent rather that the van for sleeping and cooking.
I like to have a general plan with a lot of flexibility. By sleeping in the van it helps me get settled quickly and back on the road quickly. What is an air tent, is that like a rooftop tent?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
mine is a Berghaus Air 6. It is a 6 man tent ( there are only 2 of us plus 2 dogs though!) which has air tubes instead of tent poles. Each air bladder is similar to the type in the leading edge of a kite. The tent literally takes a bout 10 minutes to erect ( although a bit longer than that including the guy rope pegs etc but no rush for that if its not windy). The Air 6 has 5 bladders...just pump them up with the same type of 2 way pump the kiters use and you are mostly done.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Currently looking into a van for a camper conversion with bike storage and charging. I already have a 13ft hybrid caravan which can charge the bikes (400aH of Lithium and 1800 watt inverter can charge two bikes simultaneously). The van will be mine but mostly my daughter will use it for extended travel (4 months) and I'll only use it for overnighters or weekends. I love the caravan for extended travel and it's far more capable (with a Landrover strapped to it) than a van. But there's lots of tracks a few hours away and a van would be really convenient for those. The bed will be removable. My partner is a painter and it'll do double duty transporting paintings for exhibitions etc.

Choices are between a Ford Transit and Fiat Ducato. Crafters are too expensive here and everything is an option but they do look awesome. Ford is best specc'd standard but Ducato is cheaper and a bit wider for a east west bed. My off road caravan has gas. The van will be all electric. 600aH of Lithium and a 3000 watt inverter plus diesel water and heat from the vehicle tank. Charging bikes won't be an issue.

Want it built by christmas so need to make a decision in the next few weeks.

Gordon

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Currently looking into a van for a camper conversion with bike storage and charging. I already have a 13ft hybrid caravan which can charge the bikes (400aH of Lithium and 1800 watt inverter can charge two bikes simultaneously). The van will be mine but mostly my daughter will use it for extended travel (4 months) and I'll only use it for overnighters or weekends. I love the caravan for extended travel and it's far more capable (with a Landrover strapped to it) than a van. But there's lots of tracks a few hours away and a van would be really convenient for those. The bed will be removable. My partner is a painter and it'll do double duty transporting paintings for exhibitions etc.

Choices are between a Ford Transit and Fiat Ducato. Crafters are too expensive here and everything is an option but they do look awesome. Ford is best specc'd standard but Ducato is cheaper and a bit wider for a east west bed. My off road caravan has gas. The van will be all electric. 600aH of Lithium and a 3000 watt inverter plus diesel water and heat from the vehicle tank. Charging bikes won't be an issue.

Gordon
Sounds like a dream. I'm still trying to figure out my floor plan. I was hoping to fit my ebike in the bike sideways if I removed the front wheel, but I think it's still a bit too long. Would like it inside for security as well as to keep it out of the elements. May purchase a nice motorcycle cover for the latter, and put 'er inside via the side door if I need to lock it up.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
cybertruck.jpg

Maybe

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Sounds like a dream. I'm still trying to figure out my floor plan. I was hoping to fit my ebike in the bike sideways if I removed the front wheel, but I think it's still a bit too long. Would like it inside for security as well as to keep it out of the elements. May purchase a nice motorcycle cover for the latter, and put 'er inside via the side door if I need to lock it up.

Bike security is essential for me as well. That's why I getting the highest roof and having a high fixed bed. Front wheel will be off and charging points next to bike slide.

I reckon I've watched nearly every van conversion video on Youtube. :) Having a really small caravan and prior to that a pop top camper has really helped as I know that I don't actually need the vast benches and storage some of the videos have. Being able to stand and having floor space to change is vital. Me being 5'10" helps as I can sleep in an east west bed.

What's really enjoyable is the planning. I'll do most of the building work but spending many hours with my eldest as we discuss, draw and argue over the floor plan is a blast. I don't really need a van. I just want more time with the kid. :)

Gordon

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge

Gordon

Have a look at the Citroen Relay, I think it's the Ram Promaster in the US. I've been thinking of converting a bigger van (bigger than my Trafic) and they seem pretty popular and have a good rep for reliablility.

sisuman

Aug 11, 2019
Vermont USA
I have a 2015 4 cylinder sprinter with 70K on it.
Gets around 22-24 mpg no problems thus far.
Std wheel base you put a 14 ft kayak inside and close the door!

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I have a 2015 4 cylinder sprinter with 70K on it.
Gets around 22-24 mpg no problems thus far.
Std wheel base you put a 14 ft kayak inside and close the door!
Haha, I've just been talking about making a roof rack to get another sot on the roof of the van .
I fancy kayak fishing again.

SPDTDL

Mar 12, 2021
London
I’ve leased a VW 6.1 panel van. It comes with no ply or carpet in the back. As it’s leased I can’t do any kind of mods. Dealer is asking if I want it ply’ed before I take delivery. Is that the best option for muddy mountain bikes, or something like rubber mats better?

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
Ply would be a good idea on a leased van as it protects the body from getting dented from the inside if things move around (which they inevitably do!).
I'd go for ply and mats.

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
Kind of a big baby, isn't it. Is that a bed that lowers down? I'm thinking I want to find a used Sprinter or Ford Transit or Promaster.
There are two double beds in the van.
One is above the garage and the second one sits over the front (table, kitchen, seats). This one can be lowered down electrically.

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
I’m just testing the waters with a van tbh I kinda have a few vehicles already so didn’t wanna plung in with money I don’t have on a van , bought this super cheap Citroen dispatch as it allows two ebikes complete with front wheels still attached which was the main feature and if I get use out of it this summer I’ll get rid and probably trade my main car for a decent van , my concern was didn’t want a huge van and have that issue where it’s a pain in the ass to park in a busy high street or when nipping to the shops etc , let’s see how it goes , rubber matting and carpet for panels coming Tommorow , have a week camping in snowdonia coming up not sure if the van and bike are coming along yet

9A338EEA-2903-49C5-A9E6-FD2C47BE7F0A.jpeg

1571DEC4-789E-48C9-8116-32693FEED1CE.jpeg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I did my Transit custom, for adventuring, not done much though due to covid restrictions, probably used about 5 times and its been amazing, love the thing but i may be selling to fund a house move, will be moving closer to all the places i love so the van wont really be needed any more so thats a big plus. Transit Custom EMTB Camper van conversion - EMTB Forums

View attachment 58910

View attachment 58911

View attachment 58912
Just got an awning delivered two days ago I'm away so not even opened yet. Beauty of the small van for me is good on those dodgy single track roads . Must admit a separate toilet are would be nice instead of portaloo.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
Just got an awning delivered two days ago I'm away so not even opened yet. Beauty of the small van for me is good on those dodgy single track roads . Must admit a separate toilet are would be nice instead of portaloo.

yeah there great for that and parking in towns, that was the appeal for me over say a sprinter, our loo goes in the awning which is an ok compromise. I have the Porta potti which is higher than normal so that helps!!

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
We have a 7.5m motorhome with a large garage area (can fit 4 bikes + loads of other stuff in it) for holidays / weekends away, but I'm currently looking at vans for bike transport etc to use for days out with the dog / kids. Using the motorhome for occasional days out isn't really practical because its stored in a storage yard and its so big.

Problem I have with a van is budget / spec creep! I originally thought VW Caddy maxi or Citroen Berlingo so I could get 4 people, 2 bikes inside and 2 outside - but as I've continued looking I've decided (in my head) that the best option for us is going to be a VW Caravelle, Merc Viano (or VClass) or one of the high end "Executive minibus" type vehicles. I like the idea of the flexible interiors with the big (sliding) seats / tables etc etc.
Caravelle with the sliding seats in XL,

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles