URGENT FOR USA eBikers - US Forest Service Seeking Input

Will Hesch

Dec 3, 2019
Please take the time to comment via the below link:

I commented on the proposed changes to where e-bikes are allowed. I think both Class 2 and 3 should be in their own category, separate from our Class 1 pedal-assist bikes and said as much in my comment.

Reading through just a few of the 146 comments (come on guys/gals, we need to step-up if we want the trails kept open or opened-up to us! It seemed the haters were in the minority with about 4-1 in favor of Class 1 bikes being allowed anywhere acoustic bikes are currently allowed.

Please just write something intelligent and supportive of our sport while there's time, it takes 5 minutes!

TXHookey

Oct 7, 2020
Texas
Here was my response. It is my opinion only but may help as a template that you can add changes to. I think any thing that improves accessibility with little to no additional risk or damage should be done. Making public areas available to more of the public is a good thing.

Class 1 e-bikes should fall into the same category as bikes and mountain bikes. The motor is not the primary power and their footprint on terrain is materially the same as standard bikes. Biking is a great way to exercise and spend time outdoors. Many areas suitable for biking require an existing high level of fitness or physical capabilities leaving many without access. Class 1 bikes can assist with augmenting fitness or help those with physical limitations to access many areas that would otherwise be unavailable. This would be a more inclusive policy and allow more people to exercise, rehab, gain a higher level of fitness, or accommodate for an injury or physical issue. Class 1 should have the same access as existing bikes. There is not a material difference to the environment but a material improvement in increasing access for many people.

Class 2 could be used on similar trail systems, their footprint is slightly greater but could aid those with physical disabilities. The fitness and rehab benefit is less but they could provide accessibility to those that otherwise would not be able utilize the trails/paths. Class 2 should be allowed on harder surface areas. There is no footprint downside and could reduce vehicle traffic, carbon emissions, and offer a source of exercise.

Class 3 is basically an off road vehicle but without the gas engine. The footprint is more damaging than Class 1 and 2 but could provide access to areas where motorcycles or similar vehicles are used. The torque, speed, and acceleration rate can displace vegetation and soil leading to additional erosion and damage issues. Their increase in speed also hampers their ability to coexist with hikers, Bikes, Class 1 ebikes, Class 2 ebikes, or equestrian activities.

GL1

Oct 22, 2020
Golden, Colorado USA
I added my comments! I emphasized that also, USFS is actually currently out of compliance with other federal laws concerning ebikes. All other points were similar to yours. It's just a matter of time. BLM is already typically more relaxed and you've seen some of the USFS areas in CA that have had to begin allowing them. In CO we have numerous counties that allow them as well as our State Parks. USFS needs to get on board. Anywhere regular MTB's are allowed so too should Class 1. Absolutely no arguments hold up to not allowing that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles