Upper Body Armour - Shirt - Full. Troy lee or Leatt

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As a relative newby and someone who excels at riding incompetence, I'm relatively crash friendly.

Yes, this has reduced significantly with experience/ability??? and I've not fractured anything for 6 months.

I've been using the cheapo Fox Titan copy armour for some time and it's certainly saved my ass from several impact fractures.

The downside, is it's quite bulky .. I think someone described the look as "swat ninja" . It also doesn't sit very well physically - this could be the cut as it's a cheap copy, or just my unusual physical deformities. It gets warm, but I accept that as a trade off, if you're going to wrap yourself in a layer of insulation, you'll get warm. A couple of weeks ago I threw in three spectacular OTB's all in a single ride. Anywhere not armoured was badly bruised, it certainly works, though because of the way it doesn't sit well, I still ended up with damage to the kidney area which should have been protected.

Its time to upgrade !

I think the two most viable alternatives which give good all round protection for Muppet rated suicide riding are the Troy Lee 7855 and the Leatt 3DF Airfit light.

I think @Kiwi in Wales uses the Troy lee and @Rob Hancill and the @TheBikePilot use the Leatt.

So has anyone experience with either of these in real life throw yourself down the mountain type scenarios and how well they work.

And sizing. I'm a fairly puny 5'10 70kg's 40inch chest. 30 waist bla bla.

Leatt state for 5'8 - 6'0 the L/XL (which is an odd shared size)

Troy lee say Chest 34-38 M 40-45 L So not sure what you do if you're 38-40 ? I can't help but think the L if it's rated upto 45 will be too big.

Or if there's any other suggestions I've not included which perform equally to these two and don't cost the same as an e-bike.

Skv1878

Apr 17, 2019
Liverpool
Started a similar thread a week ago.
Ended up getting the Leatt 3df Lite version. Highly breathable and haven't come off yet but feel safe as can be expected with this armour. I'm 6'2 and weight approx 13 stone. Ended up getting the L/XL size and it fits really well.

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely
I have the TLD 7850, the short sleeved version of the one you list. I swear by it, has definitely saved me from broken ribs. It is comfortable and reasonably light weight.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Started a similar thread a week ago.

Was an interesting thread. I was hoping to prise a bit more info out of the people who like to hug rocks as to what success they've had in the real world.

It's a bit of a dilemma as the people who probably do some of the most nasty falls, do so because of lack of experience and confidence. But they're probably the people who aren't wearing the armour because they don't think they need it. The people who wear it, whilst they will have some nasty offs, fall in less dangerous ways on average and have learnt to lessen their impacts.

I can't help but think that the leatt L/XL is going to look like someone's wrapped a hot air balloon around me if it fits you nicely. Though in theory, that's the one I should be going for.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I've got the leatt and while it is very comfortable, there are a few downsides. The back protector is too short and the shoulder pad slid out of position in a minor fall.

I have some ixs knee pads that are great, so the ixs trigger is on my list.

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
I like this one
7B87189F-83F3-470B-A2C3-C51EE60C4FEF.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hopefully they'll be able to get one over to Zims before Midnight on the 31st

source.gif

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Looks good, but I quite like the integrated arms and more coverage on the upper body .. Would be a tempting option, as you say, for more everyday riding.

I have the TLD 7850, the short sleeved version of the one you list. I swear by it, has definitely saved me from broken ribs. It is comfortable and reasonably light weight.

I think I'm edging towards the Troy lee, I think it has more body coverage.

I have some ixs knee pads that are great, so the ixs trigger is on my list.

The Trigger looks pretty nice, well vented and easy to put on and off. For me it lacks a lot in coverage areas, but I think for many it would be a good setup.

IXS Trigger Upper Body protection 2018 | Chain Reaction Cycles

I like this one

The Fly Racing Undercover II Roost Guard does look the dogs nads on core protection. Not sure what it's like bulk wise and breathability ? Lacks the arm protection too for me :-(

This would look quite sexy with no top on and lycra shorts :

evs.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I changed my avatar to one of those the other day ..

Zimmer3.jpg

Obviously my normal winter suit is good, but I often find myself mysteriously drawn to tw4t's when I'm out for a ride. Also lacks arm protection, I'm surprised no one's invented some kind of cover to go over it and add extra protection.

bikesuit.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The 661 Evo Compression Jacket :

Reading the reviews on CR website, which is not necessarily the be all and end all of information, but is a guide ...

Looks nice ... but lots of concerns on sizing .. in that it doesn't fit very well except for a small minority (several complaints of tight on shoulder, or chest, or arms, but loose in other places). Concerns that the armour panels move about and sometimes can pop out. Not as comfortable or well made as the Leatt (but it is cheaper).

Overall conclusion from the reviews is that it's a lighter, simpler, jacket which in turn gives less protection. For many probably ideal, but not Zimmer rated.

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
The Troy lee is just foam, does the job but pricey for what it is. I have the Leatte 3df lite, love it. Buy a size down to keep it a tight fit. Just bought the fox pro armour for my son, pretty light and minimal but the slim fit with 3df type pads and a spine protector. He is very happy with it and uses it for enduro and dh racing. I might try one next myself.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The Troy lee is just foam, does the job but pricey for what it is. I have the Leatte 3df lite, love it. Buy a size down to keep it a tight fit. Just bought the fox pro armour for my son, pretty light and minimal but the slim fit with 3df type pads and a spine protector. He is very happy with it and uses it for enduro and dh racing. I might try one next myself.

I think that's the one thing putting me off the Troy Lee is the fact it's just foam. It's about 8 or 9 years old now, I'm surprised they haven't swapped the pads out for reactive foam ones - maybe it's more complicated than that. Have read a few incidents where people have broken ribs when hitting rocks and things, but it's difficult to know if that's just from the impact force and they would have broken even with some hard plate armour or reactive armour.

Which is the Fox pro ? I've just noticed they've re-vamped the fox titan sport. Reduced the bulk on the shoulders, simplified and shortened the back protector and removed a lot of the foam only areas around the kidneys & changed he elbow forearm sections into single pieces. Maybe the idea is that your shorts should protect your lower back ?

Old one :

old fox.jpg

New One :

new fox.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just keeps getting more complicated :)

So the D3O armour is only rated with a life span of 2-3 years as it breaks down with environmental changes (primarily temperature).

The Leatt 3DF armour has a rated maximum life span of 3 years - so presumably is the same or very similar in it's chemical makeup.

After this time period (and sometimes before) the armour can become brittle and just break so should be replaced.

Slowly getting tempted by three options ..

1: Keep the crap I have.

2: Buy the new version of the Fox.

3: Or go for the Knox Action shirt and buy the optional chest protector.

Knox Action Armoured Shirt

Chest protector :

Micro-Lock Chest Upgrade – Knox

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Was thinking this might be up your alley ..........

It IS French after all.
1920px-2008TaipeiCycle_Day3_Michelin.jpg

If everyone sends me all their unused tubes, I can glue them all together, add a load of tubing to connect all the valves up and make my own Michelin copy safety suit with the advantage that I can vary the armour pressure as required ! Brilliant .. Thanks @Rusty ! :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Fox baseframe pro. Much more minimal that those full moto types.

Think I need to do more searching on that one. Everything I've found previously seems a bit lacking in information. Seem to remember it was in theory F3 Reactive armour on shoulders, elbows and back . With a soft foam chest pad. Couldn't find any info on the armour life span when I looked. It did look good on breath ability and certainly isn't bulky !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Some other options :

7idp Flex Body suit - similar ish to the Fox Pro baselayer but with some extra pockets for crap to injure yourself with and you can swap out the back protector for a 2l hydration bladder :

7idp flex.jpg

Other advantages - cheap - only $75 from Jensonusa .
Disadvantages - It's just foam & there's no way in hell that's going to stop me destroying my body.

There was a 7idp Transition base suit which was more armoured, but this was discontinued.

IXS Trigger upper body protection ..

ixs.jpeg

Doesn't look like it offers more than the Knox and as far as I can ascertain, the armour is worse. Not very breathable.

Or do we just go cool and casual ... ce protected shoulders and elbows, Aramid lined, provision for CE back protector. Still looks ok when chainsawing ..

casual.jpg

Well, I think I've answered my own question. I don't think the Leatt or the Troy Lee offer Zimmer Levels of protection and with a maximum 3 year life span on the Leatt it doesn't really offer good value for money considering it's purchase price. At least the Knox armour is rated at 6 years lifespan.

Might be time to cut up the Fox armour and get the sewing machine out !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think the aussies have it sussed.. ok, so they wear 2 budgie smugglers on the beach, one downstairs and a spare on their heads .. but the casual armour/shirt they've got sorted . ce elbows shoulders and back. Still ok to go in the pub on each lap round to re-hydrate yourself..

Australian Bikers Gear CE armour Motorcycle Flannel Shirt made with Kevlar Lined | eBay

About £50 for around the same level of protection as most of the £200 units and with a nice Kevlar lining in case you get dragged down the road for 200 meters after your last 10m drop went wrong.

Can alternatively be worn casually round the house for when you plan to tell the wife you've ordered another e-bike ..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I don't think any of the foam types will offer the same protection of the hardshell types. That new fox looks pretty sleek for what it is.

Another foam type option, looks well ventilated:

PE02375 ULTRALIGHT 2.0 BODYGUARD - Ufo Plast

Looks like it gives pretty good protection coverage, good ventilation, light weight, not too bulky (going to expect some with armour which is going to actually do anything). With some decent armoured shorts that could almost be Zimmer rated ! :) As you say, the new Fox also looks pretty sleek and the hard shell is going to spread impact loads much more efficiently than reactive foam. I've not had any fractures with the hard shell armour, whilst I had my "foam" armoured alpinestars motorcycle jacket on when I fractured my pelvis.

Comes with the SAS-TEC foam, which is a reactive memory foam, hardening depending on force of impact. Impressively, their viscoelastic polyurethane has a 10 year guarantee/lifespan !!!! So much better value than the other "disposable" suits.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The most important thing with body armour is fit - doesn't matter how good it is if it gives around, does not fit you, or is uncomfortable to wear

Agreed. My fox copy looks bulky and doesn't really sit correctly. (the proper fox one is no doubt a better cut with better adjustment). Until I checked it the other day, I didn't realise it could move around the lower back as it did and ride up which exposed my kidney area in a fall. Surprisingly, it's never felt uncomfortable once I'm riding.

EDIT : Found this review on the proper one, so probably the same problem :

Kidney belt part of the suit is made for a "beer belly", not an "abdominal snowman with six pack abs", hence giving poor low back support that helps combat long ride fatigue.
Very good product, works well, would buy again and recommend to freinds, decent price. I have taken a few tumbles in rock gardens wearing this product, and got up after with no injury whatsoever. Damn good protection at a fair price. Only negatives are too hot for summer use, and kidney belt portion of the jacket is too loose for people in good shape.

And Another :

obviously designed for the average American - with a 1/4-barrel instead of a 6-pack - the stomach area is not proportionate to the rest of the jacket.

And this but is quite accurate :

Dumb velcro patch that covers metal rivets on the lower inside of the extension of the spinal plate.

The patch is held (or not) by two tiny pieces of velcro .. so if I keep mine I do need to upgrade the velcro patches.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles