• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Upgrading to SRAM Eagle AXS

Chriss111

Jan 16, 2020
Sweden
The SRAM Eagle AXS system seems to be extremly cool and creates alot of I want it, I want it now feelings and would be a major upgrade to what I have today.

Anyway
On my bike have the SRAM NX11 with PG-1130 10-42t cassette and a 34t chainring and a KMC X11e chain
The rear hub is a DT Swiss 240s shimano "style" (148x12mm) and can be converted to SRAM XD

- Will there be any compability issues with the deralliure and the hangar?
- Will a 12spd cassette fit on the current hub, I mean size wise?
- Should I change current 34t chainring and if so, to what?

Maybe I'm answering my own questions here, but just want to be sure.

According to this video a NX PG-1230 would fit on a Shimano fre hub just like a NX PG-1130 cassette does not need a conversion to XD hub?!

And the another question - Is 12spd really needed on a emtb? And can a XD driver handle the pressure from a emtb?
Oaccoring to this thread the answer is no: SRAM Eagle 12-Speed on 2018 Turbo Levo? - EMTB Forums

Can i fit a SRAM AXS Wireless X01 Eagle 1x12 DUB Groupset on my turbo Levo - EMTB Forums

What to do?

:)

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
Great questions, I don't have any answers. I do have AXS on my XC bike and it is the amazing. I think the fast shifting and being able to see what gear you are in on your Garmin will be great.
I did see the build for the Specialized SL Founders addition has AXS and Santa Cruz's new ebike has a AXS build. Enjoy the ride.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes you can fit AXS, yes you can choose from the SRAM parts bin to make it work on various combinations of bike/wheel etc.

Do you need 12 Speed on a full fat EMTB? No. Will and 11 speed or 10 speed drivetrain be stronger and more reliable on an EMTB? yes. Can the parts handle an EMTB's torque? Yes, as long as you are not a mechanical anarchist. Is AXS cool as f@@k? Yup so I can see why you want to do it.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
the NX cassette is only compatible with the shimano hub. if you want 10 instead of 11 you need a sram xd hub. i just updated my levo 11-42 gx to 10-50 gx. there are adapters for DT Swiss.
A 10 give you much more speed.

Last edited:

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
AXS is awesome! I have it on my Levo SL, and love it. Instant shifting, and Its great just tapping the shifter to change gear.

The real question is, do you need a 12 speed system on an eMTB. If it’s a full powered bike, I very much doubt it.
When I had a Trek Rail (with AXS) I was rarely below 6th gear - and would never have used 1st and 2nd... unless I had the motor off.

Subzilla

Jan 13, 2020
NW UK
Installed Eagle Axs on my decoy as a replacement for the the e-13 cassette and di2. Nothing wrong with di2 but the cassettes from e13 are not good had a replacement and that was equally as bad, can’t knock e13 on warranty but their recent cassettes just don’t work.

Bit the bullet and upgraded to Sram eagle axs and not had an issue, the system runs almost silent and shifts soooooo well.
using the app it connects to Garmin 1030 (not lower models) and sram app outputs the data shown below.
94E50785-1A87-4DEA-89F1-995DD53C118F.jpeg

Last edited:

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Yes they are any+ but only compatible with the 1030 which I found out to my cost?!?! Gives a full screen showing selected gear etc. The sram app is cool to

I have my AXS displayed on my Edge 830, and used to have it on my 820 before I upgraded.
Can get a report of how many shifts you’ve made during the ride etc. I just like having the number of the gear I’m in on the screen - it’s like having the old indicators on your shifter!!

Chriss111

Jan 16, 2020
Sweden
Once again I'm thinking to do the upgrade since sram has released GX AXS. My bike have the Shimano E8000 motor and should I change the chainring to a sram n-sync 2 or just change to a 12s Shimano? (besides the cassette and chain)

What about the chainline? Should it be 50mm, 53mm?

What I have understood, it is the spider who sets the chainline. How do I identify what's installad today. The spider does not have any markings.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles