• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Upgrading to Di2 with steps

towlawrian

Sep 6, 2019
Durham uk
I have canyon neuron on Neuron:ON AL 5.0

It has steps system with the E8000 motor and E7000 display.

I am looking at installing di2 gears. How easy is this to do and what parts do I need? Obviously I need the derailleur and shifter. What else would I require? I would imagine the gears are powered by the battery.

Any help would be appreciated

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
You also needs 2 cables, to connect from the display to the shifter/derailer.
Then you need to tell the system to activate Di2 (I used ST Unlock because I had it allready installed)
Price for the parts is around 300£.

towlawrian

Sep 6, 2019
Durham uk
I believe all your assumptions are correct. I have the same motor and display and my LBS said it would be around $500 to upgrade.

Having looked at the dealers manual and the diagrams, all that needs doing is to run di2 cable from the mech to the spare port on the motor and a di2 cable from the shifter to the display unit.

Then reprogram the steps system from thinking it has a mechanical mech to a di2 mech

Phill_B_34

Feb 11, 2019
Brisbane, AUS
I have canyon neuron on Neuron:ON AL 5.0

It has steps system with the E8000 motor and E7000 display.

I am looking at installing di2 gears. How easy is this to do and what parts do I need? Obviously I need the derailleur and shifter. What else would I require? I would imagine the gears are powered by the battery.

Any help would be appreciated

My shopping list was (all purchased from Bike24 before they stopped shipping to Aust):
Shimano Deore XT Di2 SW-M8050-R Switch right
Shimano Deore XT Di2 RD-M8050-GS Rear Derailleur - medium 11-speed
Shimano EW-SD50 Cable for Di2 (Cable length: 750mm)
Shimano EW-SD50 Cable for Di2 (Cable length: 250mm)

Had it all fitted to my Jam2 by the dealer (happy for me to supply the parts and the cable lengths are to suit my bike) .
They did have an issue in getting the 'bike' to talk to the new parts and ended up having Shimano dial into the laptop attached to the bike to fix a software issue.
I've also fitted the E7000 computer (to talk to a G830) and the E6000 shifter.

Slingerwoods

Apr 19, 2020
England
My shopping list was (all purchased from Bike24 before they stopped shipping to Aust):
Shimano Deore XT Di2 SW-M8050-R Switch right
Shimano Deore XT Di2 RD-M8050-GS Rear Derailleur - medium 11-speed
Shimano EW-SD50 Cable for Di2 (Cable length: 750mm)
Shimano EW-SD50 Cable for Di2 (Cable length: 250mm)

Had it all fitted to my Jam2 by the dealer (happy for me to supply the parts and the cable lengths are to suit my bike) .
They did have an issue in getting the 'bike' to talk to the new parts and ended up having Shimano dial into the laptop attached to the bike to fix a software issue.
I've also fitted the E7000 computer (to talk to a G830) and the E6000 shifter.
Many thanks Phil . I just might treat myself to the upgrade as getting my bike back from warranty on the motor

Cubie

Feb 19, 2020
Fife, Scotland
As soon as my mech arrives I’ll be fitting my di2 kit to my Spectral. Might do a how to if I’m still in Furlough to kill some time. Regretting not just buying the mech from bike24 as well because I’ve got everything else sat here ready to go. ?

DRC

Aug 14, 2023
California
Hi All, newbie here - on the site, not MTB's ;-)

I just ordered a Canyon Spectral:ON with the Shimano EP-801 motor. I tried a friend's bike (not a Spectral) this week-end who had the Shimano Di2 installed and I really liked it. So I did a little goggling and found this thread.

I just want to confirm what I would need to do the upgrade:

• Di2 rear derailleur (either XT or XTR)
  • Di2 shifter
  • Cable from rear derailleur to motor
  • Cable from shifter to display unit
  • 11 speed cassette (since the bike is a 1x12 speed right now and it looks like the Di2 is only 11 speed)

The put everything together and use the eMAX app to enable the Di2 functionality on the system.

I am pretty handy mechanically, so I can do the update myself but I was wondering if anyone knows (or can chime in) on how to access the motor cables area.

Anything else I should be aware of?

I can post a detailed HOW TO (with photos, etc.) when I get it done if that helps people.

Thanks in advance for the help.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles