Upgrading chainring

micknofear

Sep 11, 2018
UK
After a bit of advice
I have a Levo 2018
Have any of you guys upgraded your chainring was thinking of changing to a 34T chainring would you see any issues with doing this
I use my bike a lot to commute to work which is predominately flat so looking at improving my top end
Thanks for help

Mick

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
I did this upgrade right away last year.
It works perfect - especially when commuting - Gives more topspeed :cool:
There should even be space for a 36T.
But this will affect your climbing

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
After a bit of advice
I have a Levo 2018
Have any of you guys upgraded your chainring was thinking of changing to a 34T chainring would you see any issues with doing this
I use my bike a lot to commute to work which is predominately flat so looking at improving my top end
Thanks for help

Mick
As Frank says, almost a mandatory upgrade. I would actually recommend that you go directly to 36t as the jump from 32t to 34t only makes a tiny difference and I guess that you want to do it as you are running out of cadence when in the 11t rear cog. I have gone to 36t too and combined it with a 11-46 cassette to compensate for the front 36t. As a matter of fact you can go 38t and still keep the chain guide(My2018).

Karsten

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
I would love to have a 30t chainring to go steeper ascents staying in ECO mode fo mtbiking. But as far as I know it is not possible to go smaller than 32t....

micknofear

Sep 11, 2018
UK
Thanks guys
As you have done this already a couple of questions if you don’t mind
what make of chainring would you recommend?
Is it just a case of swapping over or did you have to make any adjustments

My bike is due it’s service but LBS weren’t keen on doing this would there be any reason why

Thanks for the advice
Mick

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I would love to have a 30t chainring to go steeper ascents staying in ECO mode fo mtbiking. But as far as I know it is not possible to go smaller than 32t....
Keep the 32t front and go with a 11-46 cassette then - easy.

Karsten

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Thanks guys
As you have done this already a couple of questions if you don’t mind
what make of chainring would you recommend?
Is it just a case of swapping over or did you have to make any adjustments

My bike is due it’s service but LBS weren’t keen on doing this would there be any reason why

Thanks for the advice
Mick
I'm running a Renthal 36t but all 104x4 narrow wide chainrings will work. Be advised that the Praxis chainring have threads for the screws so based on what you buy, you will need corresponding screws/nuts(short versions).

Karsten

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Excellent idea!
But since SRAM has no such cassette I have to take that (for example)?
ActionSports.de | Bike Onlineshop

Edit:
Just checked my rear drailleur XX1 - the arm is too short for 4 (or better 3) teeth more!
Ohh and then I guess that your cassette is sitting on a XD freewheel and not the usual Shimano. Btw I have been running a 46t with SRAM NX without issues.

Karsten

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
CASSETTE
Ohh and then I guess that your cassette is sitting on a XD freewheel and not the usual Shimano. Btw I have been running a 46t with SRAM NX without issues.
Don‘t know which freewheel - it‘s a Levo S-Works with SRAM XG1199, XD, 11-speed, 10-42t cassette.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
CASSETTE

Don‘t know which freewheel - it‘s a Levo S-Works with SRAM XG1199, XD, 11-speed, 10-42t cassette.
Then it’s a XD driver for sure and to be honest I don’t know if you can get a 11-46 cassette for that.

Karsten

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Then it’s a XD driver for sure and to be honest I don’t know if you can get a 11-46 cassette for that.

Karsten
You‘re right...
REAR HUB: Roval Traverse SL, DT Swiss Star Ratchet, 54t engagement, SRAM XD driver body, 12mm thru-axle, 148mm spacing, 28h

Thanks anyway!

derby

Feb 2, 2019
San Anselmo, California
Keep the 32t front and go with a 11-46 cassette then - easy.

Karsten
Edit: Oops. I see now that the 11-46 suggestion I replied to was for XD driver. If using the stock Levo's HG (Shimano/Sram11-speed driver, my suggestion following is for you.

I like this low cost Taiwan made SunRun Eleven Speed Cassette 11-46T, under $60 retail. Cogs:11,13,15,18,21,24,28,32,36,40,46, Weight:630g (all steel cogs, well designed, and looks high end).

It gives a little but noticeable lower gearing for less strain up steep climbs. No stock Sram rear derailleur change or chain length change was needed. I did put new KMC chain on too to avoid rapid cog wear or skipping, since it had over 700 miles about 60% muddy conditions and measurably "stretched" over 1/16" in 1 foot. I'm testing an X-11 KMC, a non-"E" chain, to see if there is any significantly faster chain wear than the "E" X-11 version that came stock on my 2018 Levo.)

I first tried the Shimano XT 11/46, but the second largest cog was a 37 tooth, and would never shift easily from 37 into 46 with the stock 2018 Levo Carbon Comp's Sram shifter with single gear shift limiter (although the Shimano XT 11/46 shifts very easily 37 into 46 on my Hightower mountain bike with Shimano XT shifter). The SunRun 40-46 shift is easy with the stock Sram shifter and with the same 6 teeth jump as the stock Sram cassette's 36 into 42.

Last edited:

JonnyLevo34

Jun 23, 2019
Kent
I'm running the 10-42 cassette with a 36T chainring from hope. It gives me better top end but I continue to climb well. Stick the hope 36t on and you'll be fine.

Definitely don't go for the 11-46 unless you want to lose top end. Keep that 10 sprocket on the cassette for sure.

micknofear

Sep 11, 2018
UK
I'm running the 10-42 cassette with a 36T chainring from hope. It gives me better top end but I continue to climb well. Stick the hope 36t on and you'll be fine.

Definitely don't go for the 11-46 unless you want to lose top end. Keep that 10 sprocket on the cassette for sure.
Hi Jonny
Could you let me know part numbers please and where you purchased having trouble finding them
Regards
Mick

JonnyLevo34

Jun 23, 2019
Kent
Hi Jonny
Could you let me know part numbers please and where you purchased having trouble finding them
Regards
Mick

Hi Mick, apologies but I actually do not know the part number. I asked the shop to put a 36T chain ring on at purchase. All parts and bolts were just taken care of for me.

Give Chris or one of his helpful staff a call and they will sort it for you.

Berkshire Cycle Co. Crowthorne
207 High Street
Crowthorne
RG45 7AQ

01344 774520

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles