Upgrades

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
I’m going to spend a bit on my E160 RS in the next month or so. I’m fancying ugrading a few parts on it, starting with the brakes as I‘m not impressed by the sram code R’s at all. I’m 99% sure on going for magura mt7 brakes but haven‘t decided on what lever to pair them with.
Other area’s I want to upgrade are the dropper post (sick of having issues with mine), handle bars and wheels & hubs. I’m also going to order a new saddle tonight too as mine looks terrible after only 400 odd miles and has peeled really bad. I’m going to go for an ergon saddle but not fully decided on what one.

Have any of you upgraded any parts on your whyte ebikes? If so lets see what you’ve gone for, or if not do you have any plans to upgrade anything any time soon?

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
I've put an Ergon E-mtb saddle on but it apparently need a few rides to bed in so can't yet say whether it is an improvement or not.
I've also added a Spank Vibrocore handlebar but due to the snow and ice I haven't ridden it yet - the reviews are very good though. I went for a 31.8mm so had to change the stem as well - a matching one from Spank, front part is coloured so went for orange to match my e-160s.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
If anything i'll be downgrading my e180 rs as time goes on :unsure: Mostly in terms of the drivetrain and long term running costs.

Dropper post seems fine but a fox one with kashima purely for looks would be a nice upgrade i guess.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Upgrades for the near/mid future are the 2021 upgrade for the Lyric fork and low friction seals when I carry out a lower leg service. A set of 37mm E-Enduro Hunt wheels for my E-150 RS.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I put some RSC levers on mine (cos I had them), otherwise it’s stock. And that’s how it’s staying as it’s all perfectly fine.

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
Isn't that an often used euphemism for
"It isn't very good, but you won't notice once you get used to it" ?
No, I only did one 10 mile ride on it and I may not have had the level set right but on speaking to another user (both of us with same saddle as yours) he said it took him 3 rides to get comfy but now swears by it.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
AXS rear mech and 170mm reverb to sort out dodgy cable routing, DMR death grips and Maxxis Shorty on my spare wheel for winter. 160mm C1 Lyrik air shaft.

Saddle looked awful shape but never actually notice it while riding. My go to WTB Volt is out of stock everywhere so it will be staying for a while.

Pretty happy with the rest of the spec for the money.

One of the Levo threads had me googling lots of carbon bits last weekend but weight savings only add up if I went for it all. Gave up when virtual baskets hit over a grand.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
What issue have you had with the dropper post, OP?

I’m waiting for my E160RS, and hoped that at this price point everything should be spot on??

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
I don’t fancy the ergon emtb saddle. I don’t think I’d get on with the lip at the rear of it.
I was looking at the ergon sm pro or sm enduro.

What issue have you had with the dropper post, OP?

I’m waiting for my E160RS, and hoped that at this price point everything should be spot on??

I’ve had to strip it completely to clean and regrease everything twice because it fails to go down. I don’t think the crank bros dropper is up to much if I’m honest. Seen a lot of people have failures. Next time it does it I’m going to get a replacement under warranty, remove it before using it so I can sell it and put the money towards an upgrade.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I don’t fancy the ergon emtb saddle. I don’t think I’d get on with the lip at the rear of it.
I was looking at the ergon sm pro or sm enduro.

I’ve had to strip it completely to clean and regrease everything twice because it fails to go down. I don’t think the crank bros dropper is up to much if I’m honest. Seen a lot of people have failures. Next time it does it I’m going to get a replacement under warranty, remove it before using it so I can sell it and put the money towards an upgrade.

OK, that’s handy to know. I assume you grease the post regularly?

Other than that, how pleased are you with the bike overall?

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
OK, that’s handy to know. I assume you grease the post regularly?

Other than that, how pleased are you with the bike overall?

When I last stripped and cleaned it I used sram butter, which is for suspension but I’d read its good for dropper posts. I’ve done 4 or 5 rides since and the dropper is still working smoothly, it would usually siezed by now so that sram butter has definitely made a difference. Apart from that I don’t grease it, I just spray silicone spray on the post after a clean to stop dirt and water sticking to it which has also haa positive impact.

I’ve had a bit of bad luck with my bike, dropper kept failing and my forks had to be returned twice under warranty. They were sorted this week and are now spot on (fox found the air cartridge was faulty so replaced it). It hasn’t put a downer on the bike though, I absolutely love it. Riding more than I ever have and now my suspension is sorted it feels perfect.
I have found myself pining for the E180RS though? nothing wrong with my 160 but I’m a sucker for the kashima bling.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
When I last stripped and cleaned it I used sram butter, which is for suspension but I’d read its good for dropper posts. I’ve done 4 or 5 rides since and the dropper is still working smoothly, it would usually siezed by now so that sram butter has definitely made a difference. Apart from that I don’t grease it, I just spray silicone spray on the post after a clean to stop dirt and water sticking to it which has also haa positive impact.

I’ve had a bit of bad luck with my bike, dropper kept failing and my forks had to be returned twice under warranty. They were sorted this week and are now spot on (fox found the air cartridge was faulty so replaced it). It hasn’t put a downer on the bike though, I absolutely love it. Riding more than I ever have and now my suspension is sorted it feels perfect.
I have found myself pining for the E180RS though? nothing wrong with my 160 but I’m a sucker for the kashima bling.

Now, why did you have to go and mention the 180?!! :ROFLMAO:

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Part of me wants to try the 160 to see if i would have been content with it. Apart from the kashima bling i'm not convinced there is much noticeable difference.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland

Haha..... I love the way my150 RS rides when it’s got gravity on its side sure it’s got cables coming out of the frame here there and every where but hey what a bike......

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Haha..... I love the way my150 RS rides when it’s got gravity on its side sure it’s got cables coming out of the frame here there and every where but hey what a bike......

My LBS said they’d look at shortening some of the cables, to tidy everything up at the initial service, once everything has bedded in. It’s never bothered me that much on my current bike, but looking at how Focus route their cables makes you wonder why others don’t do the same.

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
I fitted a Vibrocore with the same rise as the Whyte but thinking I should have gone a bit higher. Used a matching Spank stem too.

20201229_152252.jpg

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Will code rsc levers work on code r cailpers or do you have to change both ? Cheers ?
Yep, they work perfectly. The R and RSC callipers are identical apart from the R having aluminium pistons whilst the RSCs are phenolic.

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
I’m going to spend a bit on my E160 RS in the next month or so. I’m fancying ugrading a few parts on it, starting with the brakes as I‘m not impressed by the sram code R’s at all. I’m 99% sure on going for magura mt7 brakes but haven‘t decided on what lever to pair them with.
Other area’s I want to upgrade are the dropper post (sick of having issues with mine), handle bars and wheels & hubs. I’m also going to order a new saddle tonight too as mine looks terrible after only 400 odd miles and has peeled really bad. I’m going to go for an ergon saddle but not fully decided on what one.

Have any of you upgraded any parts on your whyte ebikes? If so lets see what you’ve gone for, or if not do you have any plans to upgrade anything any time soon?

For me, the first upgrades will be the contact points. My seat of preference (Charge Spoon) and some grips (ESI Extra Chunky) I'll then start assessing the justification of a full shock upgrade (E160) as I've got a lot of experience with the standard shock, and it's very poor indeed. It's the first ZEB fork I've run, so I'll be seeing how they run, with the potential damper upgrade being considered.

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
Just ordered an ergon sm enduro comp seat with oil slick rails and DMR death grips with oilslick collars. Had the deathgrips on my previous bike and loved them so putting them on my e160.
I have removed a volume spacer on my fox 38’s and its transformed them for me as I was struggling to get the correct sag and not able to use 90% travel. Thats all sorted now.

Still undecided on brakes. I was set on magura mt7’s but something is putting me off biting the bullet and ordering them.
Visually I’m not sure I like the look of the hope brakes so it doesn’t leave me with much choice if I don’t go for the mt7’s.

I’m fancying going with a few bronze anodised parts too. I think bronze hubs, bronze stem and you can get bronze inserts for the mt7 calipers (if I go for them) would look nice against the moss green of the 160rs. Nothing over the top but just to lift the look of the bike a bit.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles