Upgrades on entry level Haibike ? (Sduro 2018 Hard7)

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
2nd Edit : I keep buying stuff for this bike. I learned a lot in a year. I even built another mtb for a friend. I have so many tools. I can do everything now, except building wheels.
HimTJtX.jpg

e3JdQQu.jpg

[Edit] I did it!
0AvL7e9.jpg

----------------------
Original post:
IMG_20180525_081500.jpg

Hey everyone, first I'd like to ask about my tires, are they good enough, meh or crap? XLC MountainX, 57-584, 27.5" x 2.25"
What do you recommend?

I'd also like to upgrade my fork someday (I just tried some good air front sus on a 2018 KTM emtb) but I'm a bit lost about what to get and where to draw the line price-wise (I mean I'll probably sell this sduro and get something higher-end in like a year and a half). SR Suntour XCM DS, steel spring, 120 mm travel.

My bike specs

Note : my actual tires and forks are compatible with my friend's classic MTB (Kross Hexagon 3.0, a Polish brand heh). I plan to put them on his bike. That's a plus in my book !

I'm in no rush I still have load of stuff to learn.

Last edited:

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
The first thing to consider when upgrading something is how long you are gonna keep it. Because a rule of thumb is that you never get the money back from upgrades. And as you are saying you are probably gonna upgrade within two years i would upgrade parts you can easily transfer to a next bike (bars/grips/dropper post).

If you look at the fork for instance, a air fork on the cheaper side will easily run you 200+ euro's and may not fit/suit your next bike, or that bike probably has a better fork already. If you don't have issues with this one you might wanna consider waiting on your next bike.

On the tire front, yeah you could do better then those, you can go full on road like i have on my second set, or something in between like a schwalbe rocket ron or magic mary, a lot more grip and better ride due to softer compound.

If you ride trails and climbs a dropper post is very nice to have, a brand x ascend externaly routed is something like a 130 bucks.

Some nice wide bars with a rise and maybe a different steering clamp will change up your seating position, as will a nice seat.

Like i said, if you plan to upgrade to a more expensive bike, don't use up to many funds upgrading this one with stuff you cannot transfer and just enjoy this insanely good value for money bike!

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
I'll keep the air fork in mind but I think you might be right and it's worth waiting for an even better one on the next bike.
At first I wanted a suspended seat post but I saw a Seth bike's hack video about dropper post and it's definitely on my list. 130€ is pretty cheap. Although I'd prefer something internally routed I don't think that's possible on my frame.

I think I'd like another stem for commuting but my position feels right when I ride trails, can't have it both I guess :).

Thanks for the tires suggestion as I know nothing about them :)

Ride on for me my friend as I have a badass mouth abscess and I'm stuck at home :cry:.

I'll camp on the forum and buy that dropper post & tires in the meantime. Can't possibly regret that.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
So apparently a dropper with internally routed cables is doable on a Haibike (cable in the downtube -> under the motor > up in the seat tube)
But I could also use an externally routed and still route it inside the top tube very easily, that'd be less neat but clean enough.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
@Blackbird I took your advices seriously and I ended up splurging on a Brand X Ascend II and some nice parts, accessories & tools. Some useful like a shorter stem and some less useful but hey these sales are tempting. Can't wait to show off my upgrades!

Thanks!

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
Cool stuff man! You are gonna love a dropper post on the trails, i was just out riding earlier and i really love mine. Go fit your new kit, and show it off! Let me know what you think of the shorter stem, i'm curious to see how you like it, may pick one up myself.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Dropper post, decent tyres, and setting the front fork up properly if you haven't already will transform the bike

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
So my caged bearing ring (bottom) is fucked. It's missing a few balls and all. I discovered that today when I removed my original stem.
That might explain why I found one of these balls in my downtube 2 months ago ? (I was looking for a missing cable insert screw).

That's really weird but ANYWAY I ordered some XLC tapered headset 1" 1/8 for 59€. They are certified compatible with my top tube by the store. Cheaper options online but I got really confused about size and compatibility.

Last edited:

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
I can see why you got confused, looking at it, your headset is probably tapered but your stem is not. Makes sense, since it is a tapered headset on the higher level bikes with the same frame.

Hyper

May 20, 2018
New Zealand
I replaced the Suntour forks on my Sduro Hardnine with a Manitou Mattoc (120mm) boost and it has transformed the bike. The headset looked as if it was tapered but the Suntour was straight - caught me out as I hadn't anticipated so had to wait for new bearings to be delivered.
Also just fitted a OneUp dropper although haven't had a chance to ride any trails yet, it seems very good.
Next step is to upgrade the derailleur and perhaps add a double chainring on the front.
Great to be getting the bike the way I want it to be.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Yep the store got confused about the 1" 1/8 straight steerer in a tapered tube too. Wrong bearings.
That's annoying because I went there to make it easy for me as I was under pain med. And I did explained the straight tube into tapered frame thing 2 times. (I got to say it's a pain in the ass to have only learned technical english terms when you're in a french speaking country/store).

Anyway my mind is clear again, going to get my money back on that headset kit today and I'll try to find that caged bearing. If I can't find it I'll order a bottom kit with the right dimension.
@Hyper Can you link me the bearings you got for your Hardnine ? Looks very similar to my Hardseven. Also how much was that Manitou Mattoc? curious :).

Hyper

May 20, 2018
New Zealand
Probably not much help to you as I live in New Zealand but yes I really stuffed up on the tapered tube, in the end I ended up taking the old and new fork to my local supplier and he ordered a Cane Creek ZS56/40 bearing for the bottom, being Cane Creek it cost far more than I anticipated, reused the top one.

Got the Mattocs from America considerably cheaper than Pikes and as good if not better. Cost around $400 USA. As the.y were boost I brought a new wheel set also although still using the original Smart SAMs.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Thanks man I'll look into it :) Local store guy was confused and sincerely apologized for dismissing my warnings about the tapered frame/non tapered fork steerer on these Haibike models. I ended up buying 4€ of bearing balls elsewhere, same size as the ones in the broken caged bearing.

I'll install twice as much balls without the cage and done. Hope it goes smoothly.

I'll definitely look into a better bottom kit because free balls bearings must be annoying when it's disassembling time.

I just wanted to install a smaller stem god damn it :) Anyway, learned a bunch. Almost worth it. Almost.

Thanks for your help, advices, and confirmation on where the confusion stemmed from you two ( @Blackbird @Hyper ) ! And thanks god rob for this forum.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
@Blackbird ! :eek:
kgP1QlV.jpg

vhImVVZ.jpg

The 60mm stem is great (even if I wasn't ready for its thickness, that thing is huge)! Not going shorter for now but I do feel more confident.
The grips are a nice touch and I also added a cover plate for the (useless and noisy) plastic chain guide's mount.
Got loads of tools too, which is pretty cool.
I'm in LOVE with the Brand-X-Ascend. It's fun.

Next upgrades are tires, bars, and maybe a full face helmet. And stickers, a lot of stickers.

But first.. a new cassette is needed, that silly SL gold chain is waiting.

Thanks dude (y).

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
Nice man! That short stem is indeed big but looks very cool, totaly fits your color scheme! How does it change the handling? More direct i presume? I thought you would like the dropper post, go ride some trails with it, it's awesome. Cool mods dude! And i've got a gold chain too man, they look cool and “I pity the fool that has no gold chain!”

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
After a few rides, yes more direct. It feels less like sweeping. It's also way easier to throw my weight on the back and lift that front wheel.
I just ordered some new bars (730mm 31.8mm 40mm rise) because summer sales. Really wanted that rise tho.

My new dilemma is that I don't know if I want to change the chainring up to 44 when this one is toasted or if I go for the original.

But the biggest problem is that I don't know if I'm up to do it myself (chainring+cassette) or if I hand my bike to the shop. For the same price I could get the tools and learn something. I don't know.. guess I'm scared of doing something wrong.

Still using the bland chain for now and I feel like people are judging me silently. That's why I shout that I have a gold one at home :sneaky:. Might start wearing it around my neck to make things clear :whistle:.

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
Let me put your mind at ease, the cassete is dead easy to do. What you need is a chainwhip and a shimano cassete tool (together something like 25 bucks) you will earn back that money by not having to pay a shop.

Remove the wheel, the cassete is held on by a single nut that has a shimano pattern, you hold the teeth of the cassette with the chainwhip, loosen the nut, take of old cassete, put on new one, tighten, done. Dead easy.

The chainring i have not done that system before, i have a bosch wich has a different config. But i presume you just take of the crankarms (i need a crankpuller another 4-5 euros) then simply take of the old one and bolt on the new one. Like i said, i'm not sure on that one, look for a tutorial online.
Btw, i love the 1x system but since you have yamaha i think it is possible to have a double chainring with a deraileur up front.

You can do it dude, save yourself some money and get learnd at the same time.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Alright I will do it myself! I've built pc, modded hardware, crazy overclocks , smartphone repairs... still afraid when it comes to mechanical stuff.
I think the double chainring is a possibility, I'll look into it.
Thanks for your wisdom dude :) at this point I might need a Blackbird© sponsored sticker on my bike.

By the way my direction has reached its final form! Much easier on my back with both 40mm rise + 60mm stem.

XGBph7y.jpg

Hope everything is fine up there in Nederland! Have a nice ride :cool:.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
The cassette is installed!
Cassette 19.74€
Tools 17.72€ (Chain-whip + Cassette remover)
Total : 37.46€ and it was indeed dead easy! It runs so smoothly now. (got some great Muc-off Dry lube too)

So far I upgraded
  1. Handlebar
  2. Grips
  3. Stem
  4. Free ball bearings.
  5. Pedals
  6. Dropper seat
  7. Tires
  8. Chain
  9. Cassette replacement
  10. Purple wire tips, golden valve caps and loadz of decals (lol)
My toolkit is looking good too, I had nothing (and knew nothing about bikes) 3 months ago.

58D19d6.jpg

Gr5V5Tm.jpg

AdHNnF6.jpg

Still thinking about getting a lighter/better/different fork tho. I know I know... Looking into an entry level air fork OR a good rigid one! (9mmqr)

I like this hobby so far. I might need a car big enough to get my bike to places in the near future :)

My 93' Polo II is collecting dust since I got that emtb.

Hyper

May 20, 2018
New Zealand
You’re going great there, the bike’s looking great. The experience you’re gaining in doing work yourself will really pay off if you have a breakdown out on the trails.
You have done similar to me by buying an entry level bike and transforming it into something that is personable to you, and exactly the way you want it.
I often ride with others who have really expensive FS bikes with all the top line components. Do they get further than me? Never! And I don’t consider myself a good rider.
Keep posting your updates.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
I'm definitely using the gained experience as an excuse for parts and upgrades :devilish: It works tho!
I'll probably keep this bike a lil' longer than I anticipated anyway :).

Mar 26, 2019
Anchorage
120mm Rockshox Recon Silver RL solo air 2018 - installed! :giggle: 145€ from ChainReactionCycles.

View attachment 4144

Much better and lighter than the Suntour XCM ds. View attachment 4145

I put a Rockshox Reba RL in front and a Rockshox Monarch RT3 debonair on the back of my ‘19 SDURO Fullseven 3.0. It made a huge difference in handling. Replacing the shocks is definitely a cost effective upgrade.

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
I fitted a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST to my hardseven and it made a big improvement to jarring my back bouncing along rough tracks. Expensive but worth it.

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
I put a Rockshox Reba RL in front and a Rockshox Monarch RT3 debonair on the back of my ‘19 SDURO Fullseven 3.0. It made a huge difference in handling. Replacing the shocks is definitely a cost effective upgrade.
I got Rock Shox Reba RL's with a tapered head tube for the girlfriend's 2019 SDURO Fullseven 3.0 and I am trying to figure out what head set to get. The size is my problem. Did you have this problem and if so what size did you get? Thanks..

Philw67

Oct 25, 2020
POOLE
I broke ribs a few months ago, don't ask but v stupid accident.

Anyway, the ride on this is v harsh and everytime I do a ride my ribs hurt. I think the vibration is unsticking them.

Can someone recommend a suspension option for the seat please that won't break the bank?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
My wife's has had the Suntour suspension post on her hard tail for a few years and loves it. It's spring tension is also adjustable with an allen key. Get the neoprene cover as well though to protect the pivots. You'll also need a spacer collar as I think it only comes as a 27.2 diameter post.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles