Updates and fine tuning

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I have the latest version (android) of the e-tube app but cannot individually change the mode settings with the sliders as per the video, still stuck with low/med/high.

I ave updated all the firmware etc., but no change, any ideas?

Thanks
Iam not great with all this app stuff
My app invited to change or enter a password after that I couldn’t get back into it
My phone was still remembering the old password and I had to tell the phone to forget the device and password and reload
It’s been easy since
May not be your problem but I found it hard to see if was actually logged in as I could see all the controls etc just unable to move the settings

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Thanks Kernow,

I did manage the connection, although I did experience a lot of dropping out which I have read is quite common. Once I'm connected, no problem adjusting the settings, just can't use the infinity adjust on custom, it still acts like the other modes with low, med, high.

M

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Thanks Kernow,

I did manage the connection, although I did experience a lot of dropping out which I have read is quite common. Once I'm connected, no problem adjusting the settings, just can't use the infinity adjust on custom, it still acts like the other modes with low, med, high.

M

I wasn’t aware of an infinite adjust in the custom setting , I thought it was just low med and high in each level , I should really have a play with these settings , I have just left it in normal mode for ages now . I would like a reduction in the eco setting for long distance rides and when riding with normal bikes

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
When I got on a chat with Shimano they said you can't adjust eco mode via e tube. Might have a look at that Freeman software if that can though

Bri-72

Nov 19, 2018
Inverness
Query about the freemax software and sm-pce connection.

When you adjust the assist% and torque settings, what are you changing? For example via e-tube there is the default, explorer and custom settings. Does freemax change one of these only and you can still the make changes via e-tube? Or do you lose the ability to change via e-tube?

I’d like to use freemax to lower the assist levels across eco trail and boost so I had a range extender setting.

But would still like to be able to have a higher assist mode I could select via e-tune.

As I plan renting a sm-pce box I’ll only be able to change settings once, so hoping it doesn’t stop me using e-tube setting adjust in future.

Phill_H

Nov 29, 2018
Cambridge
I have the freeMax software. It allows you to fully customise the %assistance and torque settings independently within the Eco, Trail and Boost modes; this is different from the E-tube Project, which only allows you to toggle between their pre-defined settings for the different modes (these predefined settings are what they call 'Dynamic' and Explorer'; and of course you can't alter the Eco mode at all). You can always change them back to Shimano's default settings and you can also still change settings via E-tube (but there's no point, since now you have full control).

For example, I leave the the Trail and Boost modes in the default Shimano settings of 70% and 200% assistance respectively (the freeMax software allows you to see the default Shimano settings in each mode, which acts as a guide - I've attached a screenshot of the default settings), but I set 20% for the Eco mode (Shimano's default is 60%); this suits me as it allows me to use Eco mode when I ride with friends on normal bikes and lets me get tired in the 'right' places (i.e. hills) and massively extends the range - but of course I can still switch to Trail or Boost with the flick of a switch on the controller if needed.

I think this software is brilliant!

BTW you need to pay for the eMax or miniMax software if you want to play around with the speed limits at which assistance cuts out.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Freemax screenshot.pdf
    585.7 KB · Views: 701

Bri-72

Nov 19, 2018
Inverness
MartinW the shimano app only allows you to choose between L/M/H, not sure what video you refer to but that’s the limit of adjustment you have via e-tube. The only other fine tuning involves the external PCE box and other software as covered by this thread. The box is about £150 to buy however. I’ve just ordered one so looking to adjust down the power assist to get more battery life.

Phill_H

Nov 29, 2018
Cambridge
Bri-72 is correct. e-tube only allows you to choose between low/medium/high in Trail and Boost modes (the Explorer and Dynamic modes preset these for you, but Custom allows you to set these yourself). However, you only have these three settings to choose from and you can't alter the Eco mode , + 60% assistance is as low as you can go.

With freeMax you can set (+/- 1%) the % assistance independently in each of the three modes, including Eco.

Bri-72

Nov 19, 2018
Inverness
So I’ve got the PCE box and the freemax software. Real easy to use, and have reduced all modes to try and get a more ‘natural’ assist and extend battery life. By natural I mean just enough assistance to help but still feel like most of the effort is from the legs. See pic for details.
Mixed results, need to experiment more. My usual loop is quite hilly and has a 300m climb which is fairly steep in sections. The lower eco setting was fine for flat/near flat approaches but needed to use trail as soon as much gradient. For the very steep trail was lacking so used boost where befOre I tended not too.
Feels like I could reduce the boost assist to say 80% and that would be enough for the steepest parts. Not convinced I saved any more battery as was in the higher settings more than before. Some more experimentation needed to find the sweet spot for balancing assist and torque. I foresee much geekiness finding custom settings for different trails.
Recommend this specially as the tesco club card / evans deal meant the PCE box was essentially third price.

A12A594A-0D75-4806-871A-ACF4B5C0A171.jpeg

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
So I’ve got the PCE box and the freemax software. Real easy to use, and have reduced all modes to try and get a more ‘natural’ assist and extend battery life. By natural I mean just enough assistance to help but still feel like most of the effort is from the legs. See pic for details.
Mixed results, need to experiment more. My usual loop is quite hilly and has a 300m climb which is fairly steep in sections. The lower eco setting was fine for flat/near flat approaches but needed to use trail as soon as much gradient. For the very steep trail was lacking so used boost where befOre I tended not too.
Feels like I could reduce the boost assist to say 80% and that would be enough for the steepest parts. Not convinced I saved any more battery as was in the higher settings more than before. Some more experimentation needed to find the sweet spot for balancing assist and torque. I foresee much geekiness finding custom settings for different trails.
Recommend this specially as the tesco club card / evans deal meant the PCE box was essentially third price.

View attachment 8673
Are you using this to increase the speed limit or just to adapt the battery settings?

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
Are you using this to increase the speed limit or just to adapt the battery settings?

freeMax is just to tweak settings, you can't change wheel circumference or speed limits with it. The same developer does a licensed version for that.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
freeMax is just to tweak settings, you can't change wheel circumference or speed limits with it. The same developer does a licensed version for that.
Superb....

Do you have a link for the PCE box, I have a number fo Tesco vouchers knocking around just waiting to be spent. Not to worry, I think they only have the one so it must be that one (about £150)

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
Superb....

Do you have a link for the PCE box, I have a number fo Tesco vouchers knocking around just waiting to be spent. Not to worry, I think they only have the one so it must be that one (about £150)
Picked mine up for around £100 (it said 2013 model but works just fine), and there are folk on eBay renting them for c.£40. Very handy to be able to tweak the assistance levels as the eTube app is a little clumsy by comparison.

Bri-72

Nov 19, 2018
Inverness
PS I couldn’t get the freemax software to install on a w10 device but emailed freemax and got a near instant reply advising what changes I needed to make to windows, and all fine after that. Very helpful.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Ok, pce1 arrived today so I have etube, minimax and emax on laptop.
Paid my €119 for software license so as mentioned I'm gonna start with the USA limit of 20mph, this means I don't have to downgrade my firmware.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Ok, pce1 arrived today so I have etube, minimax and emax on laptop.
Paid my €119 for software license so as mentioned I'm gonna start with the USA limit of 20mph, this means I don't have to downgrade my firmware.
Are you saying you can reset the eu 15mph limit to the us 20 limit , great if you can , and hopefully the next update doesn’t disable that ability

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you want to remove the limiter the Badassbox is by far the best option - you replace the spoke magnet with theirs, and just slide the Badass unit over the sensor - no need to open up the motor covers, fiddle with any software, or do any wiring. It tricks the sensor into thinking you are going half your real speed. Downsise is the speed reads half the speed you are doing, and presumably also records half the distance etc. Can be mounted, and taken off in seconds.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I've got 2 peartune but sick of them giving wo11 errors because of bad connection with the motor.
I chopped wires on one of them and grafted an original Shimano plug on which lasted better.
I know it's general maintenance but as soon as I pull the chip and replace the Shimano sensor it's ok.
Nowt wrong with the chips just the interface to motor.
Hence the software route.
I rekon 20's plenty for the jumpy stuff and a more reasonable limit , let's see.
If all's well I'll offer the pce1 box at £25 per week to try and reclaim some funds back.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I've got 2 peartune but sick of them giving wo11 errors because of bad connection with the motor.
I chopped wires on one of them and grafted an original Shimano plug on which lasted better.
I know it's general maintenance but as soon as I pull the chip and replace the Shimano sensor it's ok.
Nowt wrong with the chips just the interface to motor.
Hence the software route.
I rekon 20's plenty for the jumpy stuff and a more reasonable limit , let's see.
If all's well I'll offer the pce1 box at £25 per week to try and reclaim some funds back.

Agree a 20 cut off would be fine , wouldn’t need anything then , I had same problems with peartune , muck getting in the plug due to the key way in the plug , sealed it with grease and then silicone when I was happy with it , but I prefer the grease method , no problems after that

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
Are all shimano sm-pce1 interface the same.I noticed Amazon have 1 about £120. I ride a Scott 700 egenius tuned with Di2 and fancy a bit of tinkering with it myself

jpaulo.emtb

Sep 12, 2018
Portugal

View attachment 8673

So, have you done more tests? Reducing the assist ratio and max. torque has serious battery saving?

Bri-72

Nov 19, 2018
Inverness
No i haven’t made any more changes. Based on the settings above I managed a 24 mile and 2700 foot of ascent route. It was a route I hadn’t done before so difficult to make comparisons. But I think that’s a bit further than if I’d not changed the settings. (On different routes 3000 feet and only 16 miles had been the max).

I think the gains are marginal however, so don’t expect large improvements. Certainly for me when my rides are quite hilly I think the ascent and terrain is the biggest factor moreso than assist or torque settings.

Having used these settings for a month or more I’ve never felt eco or trail were underpowered, even on some quite steep climbs. So I’m inclined to leave them or even try slightly lower again. When the weather improves I might have more time to do back to back comparisons of the same route in different setups.

So I don’t think freemax and PCE is going to make a huge difference to battery range, but is useful to fine tune settings and perhaps get some small range benefit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles