Update: Full MARZOCCHI Set-Up / Z1 Coil & CR Bomber Installed / 2019 Trance

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Hey Gents. Been months since ive been active on the boards. My apologies. Been riding regularly for sure! Have had my eye on the Bomber for months & finally got one & just did the install.
Install details:
  1. You will need the 185x52.5 Trunnion style for the 2019 Trance
  2. The factory mounting hardware works so no need to order any fasteners
  3. The lower composite bush that comes w/the Bomber must be removed so the lower through axle can be installed
  4. Make sure you get the proper spring rate. I have a 550lb Fox installed but will be switching it out for a 500lb as my riding weight is approx 167lbs
Any questions, let me know. Cheers, Joe

Update 12/24/2020:

Ordered & installed the Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Coil Fork (170mm). Install went well w/no issues. Wow, a positive difference having a full coil suspension front & rear
PC240683.JPG

PB170520.JPG

PB180533.JPG

PC240711.JPG

PC250755.JPG

PC310016.JPG

PC250749.JPG

P2050015.JPG

P2050011.JPG

P3220049.JPG

P3220053.JPG

Last edited:

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
Which coil upgrade had the best low bump compliance, the forks or the shock? I am hoping the shock, as that is cheaper LOL>
Did you go Mullet?

Last edited:

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
I have the z1 coil on my 21 trance x....and really like it. On the new bike at least on the small frame the shock won't fit without the reservoir hitting the frame. They made just enough difference in shock angle for the 29" and the new STA that it no longer fits any shock with an extended reservoir. (At least anything much longer than what's on the dpx2)

PXL_20201224_231347526.jpg

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Which coil upgrade had the best low bump compliance, the forks or the shock? I am hoping the shock, as that is cheaper LOL>
Did you go Mullet?

Hard to say. I did the rear shock first & it was a good feel but took a couple of rides to feel the difference between the air vs coil. The front fork i did a month later & that completed the pkg. That added 20mm of travel made a huge difference. The bottom bracket (motor area) is noticeably a bit higher off the ground (happy that i did both).

Im not a fan of the 29" for some reason (dont like the look) but that fork will accept it if you want to go that route. The front forks small bump compliance is very noticeable. My first MTB i had upgraded to the first generation Z1 & now in 2021 im back on it!

Last edited:

aja07

May 13, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
I have the z1 coil on my 21 trance x....and really like it. On the new bike at least on the small frame the shock won't fit without the reservoir hitting the frame. They made just enough difference in shock angle for the 29" and the new STA that it no longer fits any shock with an extended reservoir. (At least anything much longer than what's on the dpx2)

View attachment 50139

Hi did you go to 160 or 170 on the fork and if so how do you find it? also is the flip chip on high or low?

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
Yeah... want to hear your feedback on going 170mm. I am just about to do the same thing on my bike. Did you measure your bottom bracket clearance? I'm currently around 257mm (lowest part of the skid plate) and I'm going to assume it'll be close to 10mm higher when I bump up from 160 to 170. I wonder how that will affect handling?

Last edited:

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Yeah... want to hear your feedback on going 170mm. I am just about to do the same thing on my bike. Did you measure your bottom bracket clearance? I'm currently around 257mm and I'm going to assume it'll be close to 10mm higher when I bump up from 160 to 170. I wonder how that will affect handling?

Its been all positive going w/the 170mm. No doubt the front end is a bit lighter going up the steep stuff but very doable, by lowering the seat & perching a bit more fwd (no problem). Did not measure the btm brkt height but i can do that if needed. My comment was pure visual noting a distinct difference in the btm brkt height from the Fox 150mm
The coil front & rear is so smooth off the top in regards to the small bump sensitivity (no shock or fork stiction at all).

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
Its been all positive going w/the 170mm. No doubt the front end is a bit lighter going up the steep stuff but very doable, by lowering the seat & perching a bit more fwd (no problem). Did not measure the btm brkt height but i can do that if needed. My comment was pure visual noting a distinct difference in the btm brkt height from the Fox 150mm
The coil front & rear is so smooth off the top in regards to the small bump sensitivity (no shock or fork stiction at all).
Thanks for the feedback and yes, if you have the time to measure, it'd be great.

In reality, I actually want more BB clearance anyway. I've only "hurt" this bike once, and it was on a rock strike to the skid plate that crushed the speed sensor wire (which created an error and put an abrupt end to the ride). I'm sure cornering won't be as good, but I'm not about speed anyway. =)

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
Hmm... just did some googling and in terms of bottom bracket height (center of axle), and most modern enduro bikes sit at
350mm.... exactly the same as my BB height at this point. It's just that my bike has a motor belly. LOL

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Thanks for the feedback and yes, if you have the time to measure, it'd be great.

In reality, I actually want more BB clearance anyway. I've only "hurt" this bike once, and it was on a rock strike to the skid plate that crushed the speed sensor wire (which created an error and put an abrupt end to the ride). I'm sure cornering won't be as good, but I'm not about speed anyway. =)

Measuring approx 13.625" to 13.750" (346mm to 349mm). Ground to the Centerline of the bottom bracket axle (27.5 wheels at 27psi w/2.6 tires)

JaRi

Mar 8, 2021
Austria
@MinusPrevious: Thank you for sharing your build and experience with us. Like your bike. It looks amazing. Inspired by your changes I will also change the shock of my Trance E+ pro 1 (2020) to coil one, for now - the same as yours. I´m also planing to go with a 170 fork infront, coil or air, still hesitating :) I have noticed that you have installed a coil spring 550lb x 2.35 - if I´m not mistaken. I wonder how long the height of the spring is resp. has to be? I want to install a 185 x 55 coil shock and I do not know with which spring I have to go....Maybe you can provide some specs on your spring. Thanks and happy and safe riding! JaRi

Last edited:

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
@MinusPrevious: Thank you for sharing your build and experience with us. Like your bike. It looks amazing. Inspired by your changes I will also change the shock of my Trance E+ pro 1 (2020) to coil one, for now - the same as yours. I´m also planing to go with a 170 fork infront, coil or air, still hesitating :) I have noticed that you have installed a coil spring 550lb x 2.35 - if I´m not mistaken. I wonder how long the spring coil is resp. has to be? I want to install a 185 x 55 coil shock and I do not know with which spring I have to go....Maybe you can provide some specs on your spring. Thanks and happy and safe riding! JaRi
I followed the original poster's route with the front fork and now it's at 170mm (I have a Lyrik Ultimate with some moderate offset to it.. I forget). FOR SURE it feels more stable at speed and confidence inspiring on the steeps. I also opted to stick with 27.5 because a big front wheel just feels awkward. Do note that the front end will feel really floppy at low speed especially if you're climbing tight switchbacks if that's your kind of riding.

Anyway, I also changed to a longer stroke shock (185X55) and went from Fox DPS to DPX2 and that made a significant difference in small bump compliance and end-of-travel ramp up to near coil-like level.

If you do opt for coil, they usually have charts that tell you what spring rate to get (sometimes dependent on the leverage ratio of the bike... here's a good article on it How your bike's suspension design affects its performance on the trail | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine).

IMG_3701.jpg

Last edited:

JaRi

Mar 8, 2021
Austria
I followed the original poster's route with the front fork and now it's at 170mm (I have a Lyrik Ultimate with some moderate offset to it.. I forget). FOR SURE it feels more stable at speed and confidence inspiring on the steeps. I also opted to stick with 27.5 because a big front wheel just feels awkward. Do note that the front end will feel really floppy at low speed especially if you're climbing tight switchbacks if that's your kind of riding.

Anyway, I also changed to a longer stroke shock (185X55) and went from Fox DPS to DPX2 and that made a significant difference in small bump compliance and end-of-travel ramp up to near coil-like level.

If you do opt for coil, they usually have charts that tell you what spring rate to get (sometimes dependent on the leverage ratio of the bike... here's a good article on it How your bike's suspension design affects its performance on the trail | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine).

View attachment 55154
Thx for your answer. I will take this in consideration. you seem to prefer an air shock over a coil shock? I have to admit that I have never ridden a coil shock before. So it´s more like an experiment...

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
Thx for your answer. I will take this in consideration. you seem to prefer an air shock over a coil shock? I have to admit that I have never ridden a coil shock before. So it´s more like an experiment...
I've ran coil and air on different bikes. Most coil shocks are wound to be linear rate (but there are progressive ones out there now) which means very litte ramp up to the end of travel. Coil shocks are also stiction free since they don't need air seals. Air shocks have inherent ramp (more spring rate as you compress air volume). It has it's pluses and minuses. I only opt for air because I can dial spring rate by adding/removing air. On coil suspensions, you are kinda committed to the spring you buy (some people have a few coil springs and swap them out depending on the type of riding they do).

They're both good. Really depends on what you're looking for. BTW, if you're budget conscious, the OP's set-up is probably the best bang for the buck you can get (Marzocchi Z1 fork which is essentially a Fox 36 and the CR rear shock).

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
@MinusPrevious: Thank you for sharing your build and experience with us. Like your bike. It looks amazing. Inspired by your changes I will also change the shock of my Trance E+ pro 1 (2020) to coil one, for now - the same as yours. I´m also planing to go with a 170 fork infront, coil or air, still hesitating :) I have noticed that you have installed a coil spring 550lb x 2.35 - if I´m not mistaken. I wonder how long the height of the spring is resp. has to be? I want to install a 185 x 55 coil shock and I do not know with which spring I have to go....Maybe you can provide some specs on your spring. Thanks and happy and safe riding! JaRi

I have 2 springs (500 & 550) & currently running the 500x2.35. The height of the spring measures approx 120mm

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles