Unexpected Shut Downs

pollywaffle

May 4, 2019
cairns
Hey,

The last few rides I have been getting unexpected shut downs of the motor. It's usually after about an hour and a half of riding. It boots back up and then sometimes shuts down again quickly. Usually it comes good though.

Is it from heat maybe? Or something else, should I be worried?

Cheers

PS: E8000 motor

Last edited:

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Is your battery internal or external ?
What air temp when riding ?
Is it very bumpy when it shuts off ?
What is the battery level when it shuts off ?
What assist mode are you using when it shuts off ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Probably unrelated, but on my when it was shutting down and re-booting it was the cable between the display and the motor. I'd taped mine to a brake hose to stop it getting yanked off on a branch (I spend more time than I should in the undergrowth). This must have eventually stretched the cable causing the fault. In my case, just removing the tape and putting a tape band every 10 cm's to hold it to the hose fixed it. I thought I'd need a new cable , but didn't.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Probably unrelated, but on my when it was shutting down and re-booting it was the cable between the display and the motor. I'd taped mine to a brake hose to stop it getting yanked off on a branch (I spend more time than I should in the undergrowth). This must have eventually stretched the cable causing the fault. In my case, just removing the tape and putting a tape band every 10 cm's to hold it to the hose fixed it. I thought I'd need a new cable , but didn't.

Was gonna suggest something similar to the OP... as basic troubleshooting, make sure you check that all your cable connections are solid... you can also try moving the cables to different port under the display (you should have only 2 plugged in and 2 open ports to swap into)

pollywaffle

May 4, 2019
cairns
Is your battery internal or external ?
External

What air temp when riding ?
25 degrees C

Is it very bumpy when it shuts off ?
Not really

What is the battery level when it shuts off ?
40-60%

What assist mode are you using when it shuts off ?
Trail

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
That looks good to me.
You might have a bad cable/connector somewhere.
Cables/connectors can be bad, without you can see it.
Did you have a fall before it started ?
Even a branch that cought a cable can make it bad.

pollywaffle

May 4, 2019
cairns
That looks good to me.
You might have a bad cable/connector somewhere.
Cables/connectors can be bad, without you can see it.
Did you have a fall before it started ?
Even a branch that cought a cable can make it bad.
I crash a lot haha so I can’t remember but I’ll try checking the cables. It has only happened after riding for a long time and climbing around 800 metres so I thought maybe the motor is getting hot. If that is the cause then I’ll be screwed in summer when it’s 35 degrees every day.

pollywaffle

May 4, 2019
cairns
So it happened again today after a lazy ride using boost all the way up climbs. I felt the battery and it wasn’t hot at all. Then i felt the motor and there was definitely some heat but I wouldn’t call it over the top.

So if it is the temperature sensor shutting it down, should i see a W010 error before it shuts off? There’s definitely no error message when I start it up again.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Can you reproduce it by disconnecting wires ?
Like disconnect the wire from the display to the motor...you might have a bad wire/connector.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What causes that. My bike was doing that on my last ride.

When mine was doing that it was because the main cable from the display to the motor was too tight. (Taped to brake hose). Untaped, re-taped every 10cm's so it could flex and stretch a bit and it was fine afterwards. So check the cable has some play in it, isn't trapped or pulling tight when you turn. That's not to say there aren't other reasons why it might happen though.

With mine it would be fine for hours, then would just do it continually every 10 seconds. Then be fine. Then once or twice at random. Then continually. Then not at all for hours as I tried to fault find. :)

Nebben00

May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hey,

The last few rides I have been getting unexpected shut downs of the motor. It's usually after about an hour and a half of riding. It boots back up and then sometimes shuts down again quickly. Usually it comes good though.

Is it from heat maybe? Or something else, should I be worried?

Cheers

PS: E8000 motor
Check The battery, my Merida did The same bad montage of The batteryholder there are 3 small bolts on The upper part were the keyhole is loosen Therese bolts and adjust so that tha battery sits tight and have cinection despite bumps etc.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles