Ultimate Commuter Tyre

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
What are people using on their Ebikes for the different types of commute??

mixed??
hardpack??
Tarmac??
Gravel??

Wheel Size???

Whichever it may be, then let us know

Last edited:

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I've been running the 2.8" Vee Rubber T-Fatty's on mostly tarmac. They grip crazy well on the street, because they're so huge.

I think next time around i'd probably get Schwalbe Supermoto 2.4" to shed a bit of rolling weight

Also, i think any of these tires would work well in gravel. I've done a bunch of gravel riding with 25c road slicks

Last edited:

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
I've been running the 2.8" Vee Rubber T-Fatty's on mostly tarmac. They grip crazy well on the street, because they're so huge.

I think next time around i'd probably would probably get Schwalbe Supermoto 2.4" to shed a bit of rolling weight

Also, i think any of these tires would work well in gravel. I've done a bunch of gravel riding with 25c road slicks
wheel size???

SvenHelgason

Jun 6, 2019
Luxembourg

I think next time around i'd probably would probably get Schwalbe Supermoto 2.4" to shed a bit of rolling weight

I wonder if there is a tubeless version of the Supermoto available, or at least similar. The Nobby Nic's are way too much for the road ;)

domnsteve

Mar 5, 2019
uk
changed from 2.35 nobby nic to 2.4 Schwalbe Supermoto - much better on the road, fine on gravel as well but bit sketchy on wet grass!!

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I wonder if there is a tubeless version of the Supermoto available, or at least similar. The Nobby Nic's are way too much for the road ;)

Not sure but i had the idea of doing them ghetto tubeless, or being really lazy and just unscrewing the tube valves and pouring in some sealant. haha

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Front 27.5x2.5 DHF exo dual compound @ 50psi
Rear 27.5x2.3 Minion SS exo dual compound @ 55psi

20 mile commute. mainly road/urban but ooccasionally venture off road

They're just my standard off-road mtb tyre choice (but at higher pressures) so not the best choice for the commute but I couldn't justify the time to change tyres for the sake of a little less rolling resistance.

I have considered buying another (Urban commuter) Ebike (hardtail with street tyres) but haven't seen anything with an E8000 motor that's taken my fancy. Whyte do something I was tempted by but I thought it was too expensive for what it is.

kinda wish I'd bought the E-sentier back when the VR was going for £1600 (with discount)

Last edited:

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
Continental Speed King 29er 2.2 Protection.
These nice tires changed my AVG speed from 25.5 to 27.2 (average over one year)

Last edited:

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
I’m currently using 29er Conti tour rides @47mm

Going to switch back to the Schwalbe thunder Burt 2.1s tubeless later today and see if the ride is more comfortable over the pot holes roads and cycle tracks......

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Front 27.5x2.5 DHF exo dual compound @ 50psi
Rear 27.5x2.3 Minion SS exo dual compound @ 55psi

20 mile commute. mainly road/urban but ooccasionally venture off road

They're just my standard off-road mtb tyre choice (but at higher pressures) so not the best choice for the commute but I couldn't justify the time to change tyres for the sake of a little less rolling resistance.

I have considered buying another (Urban commuter) Ebike (hardtail with street tyres) but haven't seen anything with an E8000 motor that's taken my fancy. Whyte do something I was tempted by but I thought it was too expensive for what it is.

kinda wish I'd bought the E-sentier back when the VR was going for £1600 (with discount)
When my current emtb is out of warranty, I was thinking of relegating it to urban / commuting / adventure duties. The theory being no where near as much stress and it should last a long time. Get a new emtb for off road :) for the following two years hard use. That's the loose plan at this point.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
If you can go 2.25" in high volume tyre, what about maxxis crossmark II? I have it on the rear of an ancient xc hardtail (narrow rims) for a bit of suspension. Very good on road and OK for basic off road. It was originally designed as a xc tyre. Can get it in 2.25 29" and 27'5". Check out the middle of the tread - that's what makes it fast rolling / good wearing

On another old mtb, I have kenda small block 8's. They're awesome for commuting / adventure stuff. Only 2.1 (skinny rims) but also high volume, and light. Very popular tyre - just a pity they don't make bigger sizes. I do have some 2.3's (26") but I don't think they make them anymore

Jimmer

Sep 25, 2020
Woodbridge, Suffolk
I have a Levo SL and would like to get a set of ‘urban’ wheels to save changing tyres every weekend. I wondered what people would recommend for wheels, disc rotors, chainrings and rubber for this bike to do a commute of about 10 miles each way? I’ve just seen ThickSlick tyres and wondered if they might be good. Any thoughts? I don’t know enough about individual wheels, hubs, etc etc.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I'd just try it tubeless - people used to go tubeless all the time supposedly with non tubeless tyres when tubeless was still a bit of a novelty in mtb world.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles