UK - Soon to be Vitus owner :)

Mudgey

Feb 20, 2019
Exeter
Hey Guys,

Came across this forum after doing some research into eBikes, after a few weeks of reading up I finally settled on the Vitus e-Sommet VR and placed my order with CR. Cracking spec for the money, glowing reviews, geometry etc. I also appreciate the designers decisions to use economy parts in the areas that will wear out quickest, last thing I want to be doing is splashing out on expensive chains and cassettes when they wear out, which inevitably is going to happen sooner on these bikes.

In recent years I've seen more and more guys smashing the fire roads on electric bikes and getting in twice as many runs, the final straw came when we were at Windhill and had a guy overtake us twice on the last push up of the day!

Looking forward to getting the bike through and getting out on it!

Cheers!

Darren Bacon

Feb 12, 2019
nottinghamshire
Hey Guys,

Came across this forum after doing some research into eBikes, after a few weeks of reading up I finally settled on the Vitus e-Sommet VR and placed my order with CR. Cracking spec for the money, glowing reviews, geometry etc. I also appreciate the designers decisions to use economy parts in the areas that will wear out quickest, last thing I want to be doing is splashing out on expensive chains and cassettes when they wear out, which inevitably is going to happen sooner on these bikes.

In recent years I've seen more and more guys smashing the fire roads on electric bikes and getting in twice as many runs, the final straw came when we were at Windhill and had a guy overtake us twice on the last push up of the day!

Cheers!
make sure you check it over for damage. i have sent 2 back, was waiting for my 3rd 1 to arrive but lost all interest in it so asked for a refund now.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Two of us there yesterday on E-Sommets, managed 20 runs climbing on Eco, the bikes were immense! Loads of interest from other riders, these things will be everywhere soon. I don't think you'll be disappointed

Mudgey

Feb 20, 2019
Exeter
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcomes!

There has been a turn of events and I am still currently e-bike-less!

I was half expecting to get a message from CR about damage after reading other peoples experiences, they did indeed get in touch with photo's of a paint chip and some scratches around the top tube area. They offered a £25 voucher for the damage, I pushed and they offered £75 but felt it really wasn't enough. I believe the bike then went up for sale on eBay recently that sold for £3250.

So I am now back to square one, I have looked at a few manufacturers and am considering the Commencal Meta Power 650b, and going for the lower priced model as it still comes with the E8000 and 500w/hr battery. Just awaiting an email back from them and hopefully will be placing an order shortly :)

I haven't been this excited about mountain biking in a long time. My GF absolutely destroys me on the climbs and I am looking forward to being able to ride along with her on the ups :)

Darren Bacon

Feb 12, 2019
nottinghamshire
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcomes!

There has been a turn of events and I am still currently e-bike-less!

I was half expecting to get a message from CR about damage after reading other peoples experiences, they did indeed get in touch with photo's of a paint chip and some scratches around the top tube area. They offered a £25 voucher for the damage, I pushed and they offered £75 but felt it really wasn't enough. I believe the bike then went up for sale on eBay recently that sold for £3250.

So I am now back to square one, I have looked at a few manufacturers and am considering the Commencal Meta Power 650b, and going for the lower priced model as it still comes with the E8000 and 500w/hr battery. Just awaiting an email back from them and hopefully will be placing an order shortly :)

I haven't been this excited about mountain biking in a long time. My GF absolutely destroys me on the climbs and I am looking forward to being able to ride along with her on the ups :)
I gave up in the end. Ordered a new canyon instead

Mudgey

Feb 20, 2019
Exeter
I must have missed the part about no warranty on the Vitus when bidding on the bikes on eBay, I would have been ok if it was a non e-bike as i'm confident enough to go as far as stripping and fully rebuilding bikes, cars etc you name it but when it comes to an electric motor, batteries and control systems its nice to have that back up!

Thanks for the recommendation Rob, nice looking bike but doesn't quite stir the soul for me. I've placed an order for a 2019 Commencal Meta Power and am hoping to have it delivered by the end of the month, to say I am excited is a big understatement!

I'll post up some pictures and some a user review when I get it in.

frazerrobbo

Mar 7, 2019
Aberdeen, Scotland
I got the Vitus from CRC and no damage at all. Bike was mint. Maybe I got lucky. I went for the non VR one and with discount code for it for under £3K. To my surprise it came with the big 500wh battery but CRC told me it was the 418wh. Bonus & Defo worth the cash for anyone avoiding this bike by thinking it’s the smaller battery! The bike is immense. I can do without the lyric fork and other minor upgrades of the VR. Also I think he E7000 is better than E8000. Neater screen and better mode buttons. Haven’t personally noticed the slightly reduced torque output.

Mudgey

Feb 20, 2019
Exeter
Ah yea, the spec of the Vitus bikes are mega for the cash, I don’t think there is a better deal available right now. It’s just a shame to hear of the number of reports of damage. I never spent this much on a bike before and wanted it absolutely mint, at least for a little while!

Any EMTB riders around the exeter area?

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
As an alternitive to the Vitus / Canyon, take a look at the Radon Swoop 9.0. It's Bosch (so not as new/light as some) but its a seriously good bike for the money. I've been riding for a few weeks now and really like it.

SWOOP HYBRID 9.0 500 2019 – RADON Bikes
That Swoop is a lovely looking bike, if they would just swing the motor to 45 deg, the whole package would be a lot neater. Just my 2 penneth anyway. I have been looking at bikes since November and have discounted nearly all with that "lump" of a bottom bracket. I'll never be good enough to worry about much else, so I went on looks and the motor I preferred to come to a decision hahaha.

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
Hey Guys,

Cheers!
I've had a Vitus Esommet VR since 2019, changed a few things like brakes, wheels and other stuff...other than that a brilliant bike in regards to geometry. It is a long big bike...I'm 5'7" and in hindsight would have purchased a small instead of the medium so I could throw it about the tech stuff better...??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles