Uk Customs charges

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
We're in the EU (still) - there are no customs/import charges to pay when goods move from one EU country to another. Different if you buy from outside the EU (USA) etc.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
I think we'll all be on nuclear powered hover bikes before Brexit gets sorted...

Just read this now but we've been out of EU since 11pm 31st January 2020. The transition period lasts until 31st December 2020 when we might have to start paying import duty but I'm sure Canyon UK will bring them in. But will the price go up?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Just read this now but we've been out of EU since 11pm 31st January 2020. The transition period lasts until 31st December 2020 when we might have to start paying import duty but I'm sure Canyon UK will bring them in. But will the price go up?
Don't worry, King Boris is going to negotiate a perfect free trade deal where we have all the benefits of the EU with none of the annoying costs or pesky inconveniences like free movement. Probably... :unsure:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
One quirk I found buying stuff from Europe ( not bike stuff) was currency exchange charges...most especially in Germany where it seems a lot of places don't accept credit card purchases but instead want bank transfer or paypal. The problem is the UK is not part of the bank clearing facility used in the rest of the EU so even if you pay the right amount the seller gets less than you transfer once their bank incurs charges. Paypal incurs a 2.5% charge. This has nothing to do with Brexit or customs charges.
I have bought a number of items from the Netherlands and all accept Visa, so no problems there. Maybe its just a Germany thing??

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
One quirk I found buying stuff from Europe ( not bike stuff) was currency exchange charges...most especially in Germany where it seems a lot of places don't accept credit card purchases but instead want bank transfer or paypal. The problem is the UK is not part of the bank clearing facility used in the rest of the EU so even if you pay the right amount the seller gets less than you transfer once their bank incurs charges. Paypal incurs a 2.5% charge. This has nothing to do with Brexit or customs charges.
I have bought a number of items from the Netherlands and all accept Visa, so no problems there. Maybe its just a Germany thing??
If you're paying in different currencies and doing the equivalent of a bank transfer, transferwise normally works out far far cheaper than any other ways.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles