UK Coast to Coast - eBike

tris11

Mar 13, 2019
Derby
Hi,
Ive tried to look through the forum to see if anyone has done this, but cant seem to find anything.
We are looking to do St Bees to Robin hoods bay Coast to Coast in July this year.
Coast to coast link on GPSies
Just wondering if anyone has done it on an ebike here.

We would looking to split it over 3 days.
We both have 2x 500w batteries, 1 x 6amp and 1 x 4amp chargers and I have already contacted a few cafe's on route to check we can stop for lunch and charge the batteries at the same time, which they are happy with.
A family member is going to transport our caravan to the stop off points between.

Day 1- 77 miles 9000ft climb
Day 2 -73 miles 4950ft climb
Day 3 - 30 miles 3100ft climb (this day is lower mileage so we can get back to watch the F1)

Both on Trek powerfly ebikes. Running in eco for day 1 & 2, switched off for decents. Then party mode for day 3 :).
Any advice, tips would be great.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I did it on a normal bike 3 years ago over 3 days,the 1st day in the lakes was the hardest think we ended up doing about 87 miles it took from 8.30am till 11 at night there was so much hike a bike,2nd day was fine across the dales just a lot of gates to open,then the last day across the moors was a bit of a drag bad head wind with rain,we did the Tim Woodcock route would love to do it again on the ebike.
First day is definitely the hardest and some of the trail out of Keswick was closed due to flooding when I visited last october - worth checking out. Also I think the cafe at Hartside top cafe had a fire a couple of years ago but not sure if it reopened.

tris11

Mar 13, 2019
Derby
First day is definitely the hardest and some of the trail out of Keswick was closed due to flooding when I visited last october - worth checking out. Also I think the cafe at Hartside top cafe had a fire a couple of years ago but not sure if it reopened.
Cheers, will have a look into the flooding closer to the time. Google says the cafe is still shut, but there is a pop up cafe there, so I suppose can look forward to a coffee and a bite to eat there.....

tris11

Mar 13, 2019
Derby
I did it on a normal bike 3 years ago over 3 days,the 1st day in the lakes was the hardest think we ended up doing about 87 miles it took from 8.30am till 11 at night there was so much hike a bike,2nd day was fine across the dales just a lot of gates to open,then the last day across the moors was a bit of a drag bad head wind with rain,we did the Tim Woodcock route which I think was 210 miles I think there are better routes across would love to do it again on the ebike.
87 miles for the first day, where was your first overnight? Thats the one thing that concerns me "hike a bike". Ebikes aint the lightest thing to be lugging about. Do you still think its do-able? I think its the Tim Woodcock route we have planned too.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If you have never done such distance in such a short time before, it might be worth checking a few clockwork bike forums on the same topic. They will cover stuff like what sort of actions / techniques / products to use / take, to avoid / minimise problems with contact points and fatigue.
I'd at least take chamois butter as "you never know!" :eek:

tris11

Mar 13, 2019
Derby
If you have never done such distance in such a short time before, it might be worth checking a few clockwork bike forums on the same topic. They will cover stuff like what sort of actions / techniques / products to use / take, to avoid / minimise problems with contact points and fatigue.
I'd at least take chamois butter as "you never know!" :eek:
Haha.. you never know...lol
I'm normally self sufficient and able to ride a few days on the trot without any issues. 105 miles yesterday on the ebike with no problems. So should be ok. (Fingers crossed). Suppose it's more of the unknown terrain. It's okay biking around areas you know, but I'm sure the C2C can be harsh.
Will look more into the points you have suggested too. Thanks

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
We are doing it over 5 days ?
Is there anything you aren't doing this year - at this rate I am expecting you and @Paul Mac to be doing the full WES next year! Actually I probably shouldn't have mentioned that as its just going to give you ideas . . . :cool:

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Thank you all for the replies so far. Plenty of information to have a look into.
Hi there as Jonny2 has stated, I have ridden it twice before on clockwork bikes, but one of us last year did it on an ebike with a 500wh battery, he did need two batteries on some days.
We use a company called Pack Horse, they pick you up in Kirkby Stephen and take you to St Bees.
They then drop off your kit at the b&b your heading to that day, so it's there when you arrive. They then do this for all the days you ride.
When you get to the end at Robin Hood bay they take you back to your car in Kirby Stephen.
We do it over 5 nights, you could do it over three, but it would be a graft.
Even on the 5 nights the longest ride is 56 miles in one day and you are in the saddle for about 10 hours.
Let me know if you need anymore details and I'll pm you.

tris11

Mar 13, 2019
Derby
Hi there as Jonny2 has stated, I have ridden it twice before on clockwork bikes, but one of us last year did it on an ebike with a 500wh battery, he did need two batteries on some days.
We use a company called Pack Horse, they pick you up in Kirkby Stephen and take you to St Bees.
They then drop off your kit at the b&b your heading to that day, so it's there when you arrive. They then do this for all the days you ride.
When you get to the end at Robin Hood bay they take you back to your car in Kirby Stephen.
We do it over 5 nights, you could do it over three, but it would be a graft.
Even on the 5 nights the longest ride is 56 miles in one day and you are in the saddle for about 10 hours.
Let me know if you need anymore details and I'll pm you.
Thanks for the info. What sort of mileage and climb did you do each day and which areas did you stop over in. Do you have any of the rides logged on strava that I could have a look at. Thanks in advance

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Thanks for the info. What sort of mileage and climb did you do each day and which areas did you stop over in. Do you have any of the rides logged on strava that I could have a look at. Thanks in advance
All of the above?
I'll dig them out for you

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
These are screen shots from Garmin.
I have a full set of GPX files if needed.
Just for reference Pack Horse charge about £500 for all transportation, including B&B for 5 nights.

Screenshot_20190415-093000_Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20190415-093021_Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20190415-093038_Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20190415-093054_Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20190415-093108_Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20190415-093125_Connect.jpg

tris11

Mar 13, 2019
Derby

tris11

Mar 13, 2019
Derby
Hi all
Just wanted to let you know that we successfully did the coast to coast on the ebikes this weekend.

It was all really well planned and near enough went to plan apart from a couple of punctures and split tyre. Really pleased with it, great experience. Lots of different terrain. Amazing views.

We did 190 miles, 22000ft climb over the 2 and a half days. We made it back in good time to watch the F1 down the pub.

All our days were early starts (6am), we carried a spare battery, 2 chargers, food/snacks, extra layers and all the normal stuff for just incase 3l of water. Oh and the drone & Batteries. The bag on our back weighed about 11kg.

No battery issues really. always found we had enough power to use the right modes when we needed them

Elapsed time vs moving time is quite different as the garmin autopauses if your going too slow (pushing, carrying etc)

Day 1
71.94 miles/10095ft

71.9 mi Ride Activity on July 12, 2019 by Tris .. on Strava
A lot of carrying/pushing of the bike this day. We cut across rather than taking the traditional route down to Coniston. Mainly so we could cram it into the 2.5 days. It was a long day at around 14.5 hours
Lost 3 hours on punctures and split tyre, snacks and toilet stops.
1.5 hours recharging at cafe. Which really helped recharge the bodies too.
So id guess the actual moving time was around 10 hours
Weather was cool when high up and sunny when low down, no rain so thats a bonus.

Day 2
75.48 miles/8197ft

75.4 mi Ride Activity on July 13, 2019 by Tris .. on Strava
Less pushing and carrying today. 9 hours 18mins, Moving time at around 7 hours id say.
No bike issues today
Was nice to get back to the caravan early and rest the body
Sunny intervals all day

Day 3
43.01 miles/3855ft

43.0 mi Ride Activity on July 14, 2019 by Tris .. on Strava
Probably actually moving for 4 hours. Again the smaller ride on the last day was a good decision. We were both aching. Shoulders felt bruised from carrying the rucksack.
No bike issues today
A little drizzle today on the moors, nothing major. So didnt cause us any problems

Anybody planning this should just prepare and plan really well. Then just go out and enjoy.
No other bike issues, but they were well overhauled before the C2C as planned

The next plan is either the transcambrian way in wales or the pennine Bridleway

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Hi all
Just wanted to let you know that we successfully did the coast to coast on the ebikes this weekend.

It was all really well planned and near enough went to plan apart from a couple of punctures and split tyre. Really pleased with it, great experience. Lots of different terrain. Amazing views.

We did 190 miles, 22000ft climb over the 2 and a half days. We made it back in good time to watch the F1 down the pub.

All our days were early starts (6am), we carried a spare battery, 2 chargers, food/snacks, extra layers and all the normal stuff for just incase 3l of water. Oh and the drone & Batteries. The bag on our back weighed about 11kg.

No battery issues really. always found we had enough power to use the right modes when we needed them

Elapsed time vs moving time is quite different as the garmin autopauses if your going too slow (pushing, carrying etc)

Day 1
71.94 miles/10095ft

A lot of carrying/pushing of the bike this day. We cut across rather than taking the traditional route down to Coniston. Mainly so we could cram it into the 2.5 days. It was a long day at around 14.5 hours
Weather was cool when high up and sunny when low down, no rain so thats a bonus.

Day 2
75.48 miles/8197ft

Less pushing and carrying today. 9 hours 18mins, Moving time at around 7 hours id say.
No bike issues today
Sunny intervals all day

Day 3
43.01 miles/3855ft

Probably actually moving for 4 hours. Again the smaller ride on the last day was a good decision. We were both aching. Shoulders felt bruised from carrying the rucksack.
No bike issues today
A little drizzle today on the moors, nothing major. So didnt cause us any problems

Anybody planning this should just prepare and plan really well. Then just go out and enjoy.

What bikes where you on?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Hi all

Day 1
71.94 miles/10095ft

Day 2
75.48 miles/8197ft

No bike issues today
Sunny intervals all day

Day 3
43.01 miles/3855ft

No bike issues today

You should look up "The Bike Pilot" on Youtube, he has posted up some great videos of our recent C2C trip.
We did it in 6 days though, 3 days must have been brutal!!

tris11

Mar 13, 2019
Derby
You should look up "The Bike Pilot" on Youtube, he has posted up some great videos of our recent C2C trip.
We did it in 6 days though, 3 days must have been brutal!!

Cheers. Yeah watched the videos and had been messaging him for advise and info a couple of weeks before we did it. Video were really good and it gave us an idea of what we were getting into. Defo brutal, but great :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles