Tyre preferences

Claxxon

Aug 19, 2020
Scotland
Most probably been asked before but what does everyone prefer tyre wise and what kind of ground do you use them on ? I've got Maxxis Rekon 2.6 on my Stance but don't find them grippy enough when it's damp and muddy underfoot. My Anthem has Schwalbe Muddy Marys which are great in the mud and slippy stuff but drag a lot everywhere else whereas my Talon has Continental Mountain Kings that seem to be fine in most conditions.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
One tyre that I'm definite on is maxxis assegai 29 x 2.5, max terra on the front - that's a keeper. The only change I'd make is exo+ (it's exo). Exo seems fine tubeless as it is now. On the rear I have a few tyres to wear out (maxxis dhrII and dhf, both 27.5 x 2.6). The dhrII is probably the better one for me; they are both exo, which is hopeless for tubeless set up on the rear - way too soft. I'm going to use them up with a tannus insert, which works awesome with them. When they are gone, I'd like to try a schwalbe eddy current 27.5 x 2.6 on the rear. Much heavier tyre and I like the tread pattern. I'd run that tubeless. I live in steep rocky country (sharp rock), hard pack and loose over hard. It's mostly dry; when it's wet, the water mostly sits in puddles.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I'm with @urastus about the assegai. Its a dam good front tire covering 95% of possible conditions I ride in. I like the heavier cases due to sharp rocks also.

I've been very impressed with the DD aggressor in the rear. It's pretty fast, but dam it climbs great on all sorts of trails.

E-wilds are probably faster than either of the above, super tough cases and tons of side grip. They only lose points from me when its just starts to get muddy. In heavy mud, I'd say they suck.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I'm with @urastus about the assegai. Its a dam good front tire covering 95% of possible conditions I ride in. I like the heavier cases due to sharp rocks also.

I've been very impressed with the DD aggressor in the rear. It's pretty fast, but dam it climbs great on all sorts of trails.

E-wilds are probably faster than either of the above, super tough cases and tons of side grip. They only lose points from me when its just starts to get muddy. In heavy mud, I'd say they suck.
I'd love the aggressor, if it was a bit bigger. I really like the look of the tread and it seems reasonable volume. I generally choose tyres by looks and tend to like high volume. Everyone seems to like the ewilds - they must be great.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
The recons great when its dry though, so fast! This is where extra rims with intermediate to mud tires comes in handy! Keep your lose, fast, and light for when conditions allow. Throw the boots on for mud and enjoy it!

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I'd love the aggressor, if it was a bit bigger. I really like the look of the tread and it seems reasonable volume. I generally choose tyres by looks and tend to like high volume. Everyone seems to like the ewilds - they must be great.
I'm finding some advantages on either side of the + tire conundrum. I'm thinking the aggressor is just about right for my stuff.

It's hard to fault the e-wilds. They're almost too simple a solution.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Just that they lose standing-up grip on wet is the only note from me. They're not trash in wet, there just comes a point, when it's too wet, for these to be the tire.

Last edited:

Claxxon

Aug 19, 2020
Scotland
Well, this weekend brought around the limits of the Rekons. Heading down some wet dirt and they just let go at the first tap of the brakes. Ended up sideways with the back wheel trying to overtake the front. Every day's a school day.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Well i think you should mention your rims wich influences and limits your options.
With Covid lots of shelves are empty so i will keep looking for better, a bit more grip.
4 months ago i bought a Stance E 2020 it came with 35Imm 27.5 rims and 2.6 Rekons.
Our summer was dryer than usual so i enjoyed them. About 2 weeks ago i found a pair
of 2.8 lighly used Rekons for a deal so now i like them with some leaves on the ground and some wet spots.
Just looking at their patern it is obvious they are not designed for mud and their website agrees.
I am looking to try a 3.0 Nobby Nic again a bargain from a rider so it will go in front i just need
to pick it up.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I too had 29x2.6 Rekons and suffered from lack of grip when it got wet and slippy. Even just damp exposed their lack of grip.
I swapped them out for 29x2.5 Maxxis High Roller II 3C WT Maxx Terra EXO TR, 1016gm

I fitted them front and rear and they have been absolutely great.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles