Tyre options ?

Gee tomac

Jun 20, 2019
Kent
Any thoughts on Michelin E wild front tyre , or should I stick with the trusted Maxxis Minion set up ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
After a good look round and consulting the Maxxis website, I rejected the minions and went for the High Roller II. Lots of size and compound options.

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
Any thoughts on Michelin E wild front tyre , or should I stick with the trusted Maxxis Minion set up ?
Yeah they are pretty good, but I have to say that the Schwalbe Current Eddy's I have on both front and rear 27.5 are just great. Plenty of grip and are great on wear. They are front and rear specific and both are 2.8...but they really are more like 2.5's...best tyres on an ebike yet. Should say I've tried all sorts of Maxxis, minions, high rollers, schwalbe magic mary's and more on the ebike...Current Eddy's are quite a bit ahead.

Gee tomac

Jun 20, 2019
Kent
I love mine. Went for a 2.6 instead of a 2.8. Grips, predictable and confidence inspiring in all conditions. For me, I prefer over a DHF. But then everyone's different.
Yeah almost considering swapping my 2.8 Rekon for a 2.6 up front, wonder if it’ll come up too square on 40 mm rims ?
( Raceface Ar40 ) .

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
I haven’t tried lots of different tyres but swapping Recons for Minions (front &rear) was a great move - very noticeable improvement in grip.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Don't think I'd ever choose a HRII over a DHF or DHRII
Thanks for the feedback Gary. You have been riding for many more years than me and on many more different bikes than me as well. If I rode where you ride, and was as good a rider as you, then I would be very heavily influenced by your recco.
I could see that the Minions were well recommended on here, but I would have to gamble that they would work for me where and how I ride as well as they do for the other guys where and how they ride.
My first HRII tyres were a very good experience for me, especially with the 3C version up front. So I was conflicted, Minions or HRII? I took a look at the Maxxis website and it showed that the HRII had a slightly wider range of conditions than was recommended for the Minion. That was the clincher for me. Maxxis High Roller II it was, and I have not been disappointed. Maybe one day I will get a bike that has Minions as standard and then I'll see what all the fuss has been about! :)

Stanny_uk

Oct 15, 2019
Uk
Mate I've just binned 2.6 dhr2s for 2.8 ewild.. One word amazing... The grips insane... Been degla today.. Couldn't/wouldn't slide anywhere!!! And they roll!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks for the feedback Gary. You have been riding for many more years than me and on many more different bikes than me as well. If I rode where you ride, and was as good a rider as you, then I would be very heavily influenced by your recco.
I could see that the Minions were well recommended on here, but I would have to gamble that they would work for me where and how I ride as well as they do for the other guys where and how they ride.
My first HRII tyres were a very good experience for me, especially with the 3C version up front. So I was conflicted, Minions or HRII? I took a look at the Maxxis website and it showed that the HRII had a slightly wider range of conditions than was recommended for the Minion. That was the clincher for me. Maxxis High Roller II it was, and I have not been disappointed. Maybe one day I will get a bike that has Minions as standard and then I'll see what all the fuss has been about! :)

TBF there's absolutely nothing wrong with a HRII... i just prefer the shoulder edge knobs on all the minion line for agressive cornering.
and now that the DHRII is around (despite what Maxxis own conditions chart shows). There's little reason to pick a HRII. - the DHRII copes just as well in softer conditions but bakes way better.

also if you are only running the grippiest 3C and Maxgrip compounds the differences in tread design may well not actually matter quite so much for less agressive/technical riding.
I do admit to preferring a more predictable tread patern over softer/stickier tyres though (I generally run much harder compound tyres at much higher pressures than all my riding partners) and just accept the lower grip available as I rank faster accelerating/rolling higher on my own list of priorities. If I were ever to contend gravity events again I would almost certianly be running softer compounds AND lower pressures for every race.

Jamsquared

Nov 15, 2019
Rushden, UK
I've just swapped the supplied tubed 2.8 rekons and put a 2.6 wt minion on the front and a 2.6 wt hr2 on the back both tubeless, its much better. Old bike had minions front and rear but this feels really good with hr2 on the rear. think in my mind the extra weight of the bike helps with the rear grip so the tyre can be less aggressive, in reality that's obvs not true when I weigh 105 kgs on my own :) I was playing with tyre pressures at the weekend 37 psi was pretty high but had a really good feel on landings and corners, I normally run 25, I'll stick with 37 for a while and see what happens.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles