Two wheels to rule them all?

Wheels

Dec 15, 2020
Astoria
Ive searched the forum and google but coming up empty….
Asthetics aside- im dreaming of a ebike that has a external battery that can be ridden without the battery for specific trails where ebikes arent allowed. The wife and i were on holiday and took the car that is limited 2 bikes, majority of the trails did not allow ebikes so we left them at home. It would have been nice to have the option to remove a battery and ride trails closed to ebikes and simply install a battery for trails that allow ebikes. What ive read is its not advised to ride ebikes with external battery removed. Can anyone share experience to support or refute this?

carlton

Sep 6, 2021
Wokingham
I don't have any experience of riding without the battery installed but I'd be wary of getting muck in the contacts or the catch that secures the battery. The main thing is the sheer weight of an ebike. I do pedal mine with the motor off when I'm out with people on normal bikes but it's hard work. Also check that the trails would allow you on them without a battery, after all you'll still be riding an ebike, just without any actual assistance.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Lapierre E-zesty about only bike can run with or without a battery, comes with a blanking plate when battery is removed. Is a lightweight ebike with fauza motor

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I could be wrong but I thought eBikes have a throttle. Some eBikes even require a drivers license under certain conditions. (If the 32kmh limit is exceeded ).
I suppose I could determine what their definition of what an “eBike” is? IMO I didn’t buy an eBike. I have a peddle assist eMTB. I’ve never seen an eBike on this mountain but I’ve seen a growing number of eMTB’s.
There has been a number of hikers, and some mtb’ers, who are surprised when I explain that there is no throttle.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles