Two noob questions regarding a new Cube

john.rot

Jan 18, 2019
Bristol
I just came back from my first test ride and noticed two things:
1 - "Clunk" from pedal hub/engine when "idling" (going up and down the local test track, feet on pedals, no pedalling). There's a bit of free play there in the hub, and while not engaged from time to time this clunking sound is there. Nothing too serious - is it standard for the Bosch CX bikes?
2 - Front tyre (or wheel, can't tell yet) has a kink that seem to move the entire wheel and bike up and down in a cadence - immediately recognizable on a smooth road; is this a warranty issue or can be looked at a shop (repaired)?

Thanks..

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
When I had my Cube Nutrail arrived the drive sprocket was only hand tight - may be worth checking (it's a reverse thread) though this does need a special socket that easy to find online, and if the cranks are tight - again mine needed further tightening.

Have you checked the tyre is seated equally around the the rim - where it's low would be the obvious area to check compared to the rest of the rim/tyre interface. Again this can be easily fixed if you're not local to a bike shop.

Last edited:

john.rot

Jan 18, 2019
Bristol
Thanks, I have a local Cycle Surgery and will get their opinion first - perhaps there are easy fixes, or at least they will confirm it's a case of raising a warranty claim with Cube.

Last edited:

john.rot

Jan 18, 2019
Bristol
I'm booked for tomorrow morning for a check.
Clunk (It does this noise when not pedaling):

Wheel (It looks like the tire is "sunken" into the rim for a small portion)

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
If you contact 'Bearing Man' who's a member on this forum, you should get a definitive answer re the clunk and the tyre just needs seating properly, you may be able to 'pop' it yourself by first deflating it, splashing the tyre/rim with soapy water (it helps the rubber slide on the rim) and pumping the tyre up more than normal. (deflate to the correct pressure afterwards).

john.rot

Jan 18, 2019
Bristol
The tire was reseated, Wheelbase will refund me the cost of doing this.
The engine clunk is indeed normal. Not pretty, but normal. I guess I'll get used to it pretty quickly.

Happy days! :)

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Yeah the tyre needs seating. Take off, soapy water around rim. Pump up using a compressor pump or floor pump with a charger until you hear a loud bang as the bead pops on.

failing that, pump with a normal hand pump and then use a Co2 gas canister or two and that usually pops the bead on

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Yeah the tyre needs seating. Take off, soapy water around rim. Pump up using a compressor pump or floor pump with a charger until you hear a loud bang as the bead pops on.

failing that, pump with a normal hand pump and then use a Co2 gas canister or two and that usually pops the bead on
Yep, there’s your solution ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles