Turbo Levo Comp worth the extra £1K?

jakeycov

May 9, 2019
Stroud, Glos
Hi. I think I have narrowed down my ebike choice to the Levo. Now I am stuck between the base model for £4K and the Comp for £5K. Now I know I'll definitely need to spec a dropper post on the base model. I'll likely be riding with a local MTB club on some general trails and going out on my own. Lots of very steep hills here (Stroud), so that's the sort of riding I'll be doing. I've not ridden for 20 years, so likely won't be going too crazy on any downhill. My question is: Is the base model plus a dropper post good enough? Are there any essential upgrades for my use-case, or should I just opt for the comp (although it is more that I ideally want to spend).

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
Hi - I'll chip in as I am in a very similar position and have spent (weeks) a long time comparing spec, reading reviews, calculating upgrades etc. I'm also going to go back on what I posted in another topic about the fork etc having looked at it more.

I have to say for my sins colour comes into it to and I am prepared to pay more to get the colour I want (Nice Blue on the Comp).

The spec upgrades that matter are the fork/brakes/dropper. The saddle and rear mech very slightly higher spec on the Comp but not really worth much.

Really do the maths is what it comes down to - a Brand X dropper as fitted is about £100, the Revelations that come on the Comp are an excellent fork - a downgraded Pike but much better than the Sektor and not in many people's eyes inferior to the Fox on the Carbon. The shock is the same as the base. The 4 pot all round brakes on the Comp are a good upgrade.

You can easily find the Revs on ebay as OEM take offs and will pay around £300 or slightly more. The Sektor will make £175/200 if lucky.

So that's + £100 to £150

Dropper purchase (less around £10-£15 selling the base post) makes it another + £90.

Brakes - upgrade only the rear as some do and then you're + £50 or so after selling.

So for about £250 to £300 extra you can buy base and have the Comp.

Specz pricing is a bit silly in the jump from base to Comp sadly.

The shock is OK too really but you will not get much for it and would have to spend a fair bit to get much better again unless you look for a take off Fox DPS say but that's not much higher in spec - you really need to go for a piggyback air or a coil as an inline is being tested a lot in this set up.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Base model plus Yari forks and Brand-x dropper would be where my money went. Cheaper than a Comp and better forks.
Or Lyrics. About the same price as a Comp and much better forks.

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
I think (again) after reading back my post I'm nearly (again) taking myself out of the blue to the baby poo yellow...

It's a heck of a lot of money extra to arrive at the same place but with a blue frame... o_O:cry::LOL:

[Edit - you have to add in the hassle factor of course (selling the brakes/Sektor might not be easy) + switching out the brakes, etc. Smaller discount I suspect available on the base. And maybe lower resale on the yellow (not black though) plus you rarely get 'upgrade' money back come resale.]

Last edited:

Baron

Nov 2, 2018
UK
Hope you solve your dilemma. If you want the Comp rear shock I have a brand new in my garage.

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I would get the base... you can buy a X-Fusion Manic dropper in eBay for around $120. It's a really good dropper. Splurge and get a Wolftooth dropper remote if you want. It's worth the money

Don't worry about upgrading a bunch of stuff right away... unless you're a big dude and the fork is super flexy and effecting your handling and control. So many people get upgrade-itis right away, but really the base model is fine. Just spend the time to dial in the shock and fork so it's operating like butter

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I would get the base... you can buy a X-Fusion Manic dropper in eBay for around $120. It's a really good dropper. Splurge and get a Wolftooth dropper remote if you want. It's worth the money

Don't worry about upgrading a bunch of stuff right away... unless you're a big dude and the fork is super flexy and effecting your handling and control. So many people get upgrade-itis right away, but really the base model is fine. Just spend the time to dial in the shock and fork so it's operating like butter
I'm not sure it's possible to dial in a Sektor so that "it's operating like butter" - all the ones I've tried or seen others riding sound like an asthmatic on the edge of death... ;)

In all seriousness, I really do think finding a way to get a better fork than a sektor (whether that is by going for the next model up or upgrading the fork on the base model) is worth doing, as I have not liked that on any of the bikes I've tried. YMMV.

jakeycov

May 9, 2019
Stroud, Glos
I'm not sure it's possible to dial in a Sektor so that "it's operating like butter" - all the ones I've tried or seen others riding sound like an asthmatic on the edge of death... ;)

In all seriousness, I really do think finding a way to get a better fork than a sektor (whether that is by going for the next model up or upgrading the fork on the base model) is worth doing, as I have not liked that on any of the bikes I've tried. YMMV.

Maybe I'll do that later. So far I have requested an X-Fusion Manic dropper and tubeless. All comes in for less than the RRP of the base model anyhow.. :)

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
After this topic I have just calculated again all the permutations of getting the base and stripping/selling and actually getting the spec I really want (pretty much all would go bar frame/motor/battery/headset/rotors/cranks/seat clamp/headset) and it does indeed make a *huge* saving getting base over Comp.

Steffen

Apr 9, 2019
Frankfurt, Germany
After this topic I have just calculated again all the permutations of getting the base and stripping/selling and actually getting the spec I really want (pretty much all would go bar frame/motor/battery/headset/rotors/cranks/seat clamp/headset) and it does indeed make a *huge* saving getting base over Comp.

I came to the same conclusion. I‘ve bought a base model in hyper (green) and upgraded the components to what I really wanted.

So far the following upgrades are being installed by my LBS:
- Fox Factory 36 E-Bike 160 mm Grip2
- Fox DPX2 3 POS
- Fox Factory Transfer 175 mm
- Wolf Tooth Remote
- Sram Code RSC
- Race Face Atlas Pedals
- Tubeless

The rest remains stock...at least for this season :)

Sadly the fork and damper won’t be delivered before mid June. Both will be the 2020 model.

If anyone is interested in the stock parts let me know, they will be for sale in the next couple of weeks.

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
Sounds good - anyone else reading this topic please post pics of your Hyper Green. :)

I guess like many you want to ride what you like and know so for me Hope Hubs/custom build wheels, Shimano drivetrain and brakes, different gearing, Spoon saddle, non-Specialized tyres, carbon bars, longer stem, Fox suspension etc, etc. Leaves as I say the frame/motor/cranks!

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis

That's what i found when i was going to buy a Base model '19. Specialized really is pushing the edge of their asking price for the upgraded models. A do-it-yourselfer could just buy and sell themselves into their ideal spec for less then Specialized's upgraded models unless you're really after carbon fiber. Just watch out for good sales on parts

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
you rarely get 'upgrade' money back come resale
Unless you need sell the original parts to help fund the upgrade you could always hang on to them until it's time to sell the bike.

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Unless you need sell the original parts to help fund the upgrade you could always hang on to them until it's time to sell the bike.

True. And if you cover your frame in paint protector, you could have a near-mint looking bike putting all those NOS parts back on

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
The problem with selling something like a brand new Sektor is that (as they tend to be factory fitted to “first proper MTBs”) it is too low end to represent an upgrade - far more people will be moving from them than to them. I bet CRC and Wiggle only sell a tiny number per year compared to Yaris, Pikes or Fox 34s.

That means finding a buyer who will pay near the asking price at one of the big online sellers is a difficult prospect. You may well be better putting them in storage and refitting them when you sell the bike as suggested by @Doomanic.

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
Very true. I’m going round in flipping circles here but I made some schoolboy errors in my calculations and all things considered the gap with (my very specific) buy/sell/upspec is not so huge as I thought so I may well go blue after all. o_Oo_Oo_O

The hanging onto parts is a reasonable idea but not too long or they loose value. Another option (given 2020 models are round a not too distant corner) is to buy now, upgrade to high spec and buy a 2020 swap over upgrades, sell ‘19 with 2020 parts etc...

I just have a feeling the 700 wh battery and maybe others upgrades may trickle down the range as ‘direct sale’ grows and grows and Specz look even more stingy.

This is one very fast moving industry.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
To be fair the MTB industry as a whole is fast moving, well at least it does a good job of marketing itself in that way. My 2016 YT Jeffsy was considered out of date geometry (according to forums and publications) about 18 months after I bought it.....

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I probably don’t need top components and when they wear out I won’t want to replace them either ?

Lol... Now you're speaking my language. For a summer I rode an old 26" and the rear brake broke so I just used the front. I would over take tons of people on the trail with high spec bikes, laughing to myself. I think not having all the braking power just forced me to not fear leaning the bike hella hard into corners

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I did not see anyone factoring in the labour charge for a shop to do all the upgrades so you need to be competent you can diy. I just bought the Comp and got 10% discount plus a set of dmr v12s......dont ask...dont get! Its a big investment whichever model you choose so my attitude was to get what I wanted.....I was choosing between Comp and Comp carbon. I chose Comp.....I use a lot of carbon stuff for windsurfing....board mast boom.....it suffers much less from material fatigue but has very little impact resistance.....weight saving is marginal and the additional flex of ally can add to the dynamics of the frame.so decided against carbon.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I bought a base model and upgraded. I needed to sell the parts to fund the new parts. They all sold quickly. Here's a spreadsheet copy of what took off, sold for and went on.
Screenshot_20190415-081933_Sheets~2.jpg

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
You did very well to get £275 for the Sektors!

So the cost was £4824 + the base bike (£4k RRP) so you paid £8824 less whatever discount you got on the bike RRP?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles