Turbo button on bar remote, do you use it?

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I find it awkward to reach, even dangerous. Worse case 3 presses of the + button and you’re there, especially since it tops out in turbo and doesn’t cycle to off. Most likely I’m in trail already so just one press.

I wonder if Specialized can make it programmable per rider preference? My first thought is to toggle shuttle mode on/off to your pre-set value. If it’s a soft button I don’t see why they couldn’t via Mission Control.

Last edited:

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
I don’t use it very much myself. Like you said, a couple clicks and I am there..but I hardly use it except on the steepest grades.

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
I don't think I have ever used it !

I find it awkward to reach, even dangerous. Worse case 3 presses of the + button and you’re there

It's only 2 presses from Eco to Turbo. I never switch off the motor when riding, do you ? Even downhill it's fine in Eco mode.

I wonder if Specialized can make it programmable per rider preference? My first thought is to toggle shuttle mode on/off to your pre-set value.

I totally agree with this, and it seems really obvious. Have the turbo button instantly change to MAXIMUM power with shuttle at 100%, then when you press the + or - buttons you go back to your usual shuttle level (I use 20%) and power mode.

Reactions: Dax

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Never used it, but if it went straight to "Max Turbo" of 100% assist/100% power that would give an extra power level if you run regular Turbo at a lower assist, 60% in my case

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
It's only 2 presses from Eco to Turbo. I never switch off the motor when riding, do you ? Even downhill it's fine in Eco mode.
I don’t switch it off either but I ride with someone who sometimes does on level ground hence “worse case”. ?

Never used it, but if it went straight to "Max Turbo" of 100% assist/100% power that would give an extra power level if you run regular Turbo at a lower assist, 60% in my case
Great idea. I doubt it currently does but will test. If not, that could be one of the programmable options. ? to 4 levels.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use it but only in rare circumstances such as a fast downhill singletrack where I would be in eco where it changes to a short techy climb. Having the +/- in the best position for thumb operation means turbo is easilly pressed using the index finger.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
I never use the dedicated Turbo button..
It's in such an awkward position, and it's only one, or in worse case scenario, 2 rapid presses away from turbo anyway.. why go looking for another button!? When your thumbs already on the toggle...
Besides, even though my Turbo is" tuned down" to 70%.. I rarely use it.. and then just for a few seconds.to get up an impossible obstacle or something...
If I can't climb a hill in trail with 50% assistance... Then I have no business trying to climb it anyway..??

ped

Aug 7, 2018
germany
never used it. never missed it.
I would perfere a 4th programmable level instead of this useless turbo button.

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
They are TOGS (Thumb Over Grip System) - I've got a cut down pair on my Levo to stop the Power Switch getting damaged when I turn the bike upsidedown to take off the wheels , remove the battery, etc.

Also, has anyone thought of re-wiring the "Turbo" button so it becomes the "Walk" button - currently the "Walk" button is very hard to hold down (up !), as it is so close to the Dropper Post Lever and I don't want to rotate the Switch further round as then the +/- buttons will not be in the optimum place.

Bryan Wells

Jul 31, 2019
Washington
It is currently useless we can all agree, I'm sure specialized knows this. Software update could make the app respond to it different but the bike would need a firmware update it's self so that when the bike has no connected device the button is still modified to do something rather than the pointless turbo select. In my opinion it would be better at even a timer button, or a profile selector

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Dont really understand the objections to the turbo button. Ok there are steep climbs that you approach where you have plenty of time to select the right gear and mode but for me that is just one of (mainly) 2 circumstances when turbo is useful.
The second is on a fast singletrack where typically just around a blind turn I am faced with a sudden steep and probably rooty climb. With the amount of movement on the bars over rough ground trying to be precise with 2x+ presses is hit and miss......1 press on the turbo button is more reliable and does not need a dangerous look down to the TCU for confirmation.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles