• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

!! TUNING !! Haibike All Mtn 7.0 with Yamaha PW-X2 motor

Hoffman6132

Sep 28, 2020
Hampshire
I have been looking at options for removing the speed restriction on this bike (and a 6.0). Has anybody done this and do they have any advice? Both are brand new, and I do not want to damage them!

The battery is integrated and in a carbon frame. I am concerned that there may not be sufficient room to fit the standard devices use to tune the bikes. If anyone has done this successfully, then it would be good to know!

I am aware that this affects warranty.

Thanks for any help!

Chris808

Aug 17, 2020
Bolton
Volspeed you need buddy, ive used one on my all mtn 2 with pwx for a year now, no problems at all with it or the bike..

it goes in the frame, you unbolt motor where needed and swing motor down unplug some cables and plug in dongle and then plug them you unplugged into dongle, pretty simple really, they come with instructions and im happy to help..

not so sure if i can link you here to one..

RichardHawes

Oct 11, 2020
Southampton uk
Volspeed you need buddy, ive used one on my all mtn 2 with pwx for a year now, no problems at all with it or the bike..

it goes in the frame, you unbolt motor where needed and swing motor down unplug some cables and plug in dongle and then plug them you unplugged into dongle, pretty simple really, they come with instructions and im happy to help..

not so sure if i can link you here to one..

I think the PW-X2 2021 may have different software i know it has a different sensor wheel as apposed to hub, can anyone clarify?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I think the PW-X2 2021 may have different software i know it has a different sensor wheel as apposed to hub, can anyone clarify?

This fits my 2020 Haibike with PW-X2 motor and works perfectly, (the speed sensor is bolted to the left hand chainstay with the magnet on a spoke).

If you email them they are very helpful.

DDenis

Jun 6, 2020
Namur (BE)
Hello,
You will be interested to know that I just installed a chip on my AllMtn 6 2021.
I took the risk because the supplier did not guarantee the compatibility.
The installation is really simple and doesn’t require to dismantle the motor (the easiest compared to my 2 previous mountain bikes). Here is the link to the provider I have chosen (the advantage of this solution is the activation only via the low-high-low-high sequence)

Kind Regards
Denis

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
The only problem with this module is by default the standard version is switched on and off by selecting the Std and Eco+ modes 3 times but the new Yamaha auto mode can also change the support mode the same way, resulting in the derestriction to be switched on and off inadvertently.
The RSc version is required that uses different combination of mode selection to activate/deactivate it.

DDenis

Jun 6, 2020
Namur (BE)
You're probably right
I haven't had the opportunity to ride much yet but I noticed that once the automatic mode was on, the low-high-low-high sequence no longer works to activate/deactivate the unblocking.
The automatic mode is not especially responsive either to have sequences fast enough to activate/deactivate the mode but I will be fixed after testing longer.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
You're probably right
I haven't had the opportunity to ride much yet but I noticed that once the automatic mode was on, the low-high-low-high sequence no longer works to activate/deactivate the unblocking.
The automatic mode is not especially responsive either to have sequences fast enough to activate/deactivate the mode but I will be fixed after testing longer.

Not 'probably' - it happened to me and I'm upgrading to the RSc version as a result. It's also mentioned in the instructions and I've suggested to the Bikespeed team that it should also be on the main web page.

If you don't use Auto mode that much you may not be bothered by this, but I prefer to use it most of the time as I've found it quick to respond to bike angle and peddle pressure and not effect the available range enough to worry about but of course YMMV

Capture.JPG

DDenis

Jun 6, 2020
Namur (BE)
Hello Jackware,
I faced indeed the problem of desactivation when I was in the automatic mode.
I have a proposal from Bikespeed to upgrade from RS to RSc
Could you tell me what sequence you have requested to customize your RSc chip? (Should a « 4 x low, 4 x high » sequence solve the problem?)
Thank You

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Hello Jackware,
I faced indeed the problem of desactivation when I was in the automatic mode.
I have a proposal from Bikespeed to upgrade from RS to RSc
Could you tell me what sequence you have requested to customize your RSc chip? (Should a « 4 x low, 4 x high » sequence solve the problem?)
Thank You

Yes I went for up,up,up,up,down, down to switch on/off and the opposite for the service mode, but also to have it on as soon as the bike is switched on.

Last edited:

DDenis

Jun 6, 2020
Namur (BE)
Hello Jackware,
I'm surprised because Bikespeed says that upgrading to RSc version will not solve the problem

Here is their last message...

"The hint is the manual is actually only a hint. It may happen that your driving style causes the automatic function to switch on or off the tuning. For this purpose, exactly the combination in the correct time must be entered. In fact, this should not happen. You write that this could happen regularly. Have you already had the case?
Also the bikespeed-RSc does not offer a solution here. Depending on the selected combination and riding style, it can still happen that the automatic system "inputs" exactly this combination and thus switches the tuning on or off.
Should this actually happen, nothing will break. You simply have to enter the combination to switch on and off and everything is fine again"

What do you think about it?
Thank you in advance

RichardHawes

Oct 11, 2020
Southampton uk
I thought about the Sx2 dongle no switching just plug and unplug and doubles the limit like the badassbox, but without needing a conventional sensor, i am a fan of keep it simple.

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Hello Jackware,
I'm surprised because Bikespeed says that upgrading to RSc version will not solve the problem

Here is their last message...

"The hint is the manual is actually only a hint. It may happen that your driving style causes the automatic function to switch on or off the tuning. For this purpose, exactly the combination in the correct time must be entered. In fact, this should not happen. You write that this could happen regularly. Have you already had the case?
Also the bikespeed-RSc does not offer a solution here. Depending on the selected combination and riding style, it can still happen that the automatic system "inputs" exactly this combination and thus switches the tuning on or off.
Should this actually happen, nothing will break. You simply have to enter the combination to switch on and off and everything is fine again"

What do you think about it?
Thank you in advance
My option of 4 ups solves the problem as the Auto mode only operates between Eco>Std>High (2 ups only)

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
i just want to de restrict so i am waiting for the Sx2 dongle to come no switching just plug and unplug and doubles the limit like the badassbox, but without needing a conventional sensor, i am a fan of keep it simple. I will post to say how it works once it arrives.
Where are you meant to secure the dongle and its cable without it getting damaged or covered in crap or getting wet and shorting the electrics?
Also it appears to halve the actual displayed speed reading the instructions (for Bosch as there are none on the website for Yamaha) and the option to switch it via the lighting control switch is not a good idea as you may wish to add an integrated headlight at some point.

Last edited:

RichardHawes

Oct 11, 2020
Southampton uk
There is no switch it just plugs into a socket, when plugged in it works when its not plugged in it doesn't and the bike works as normal. i have ordered the non switch version (switch version takes up too much room anyway) and an extension socket so i can have the socket attached to the handlebars, routing the cable through the frame and out of the neat vents on the head stock.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Districting = worn bearings and motor quicker not to mention battery life.

RichardHawes

Oct 11, 2020
Southampton uk
Districting = worn bearings and motor quicker not to mention battery life.

I wonder of you have personal experience of this? perhaps you could share the details of your knowledge with some facts such as how long it took for bearings to wear, which bearings and what the effect was? What the percentage of battery decline is, I do note that you appear to have only just got your e-bike so wondered where the experience came from? For me its a case of you pays your money and makes your choice, and for me the benefits outweigh the maintenance

Last edited:

DDenis

Jun 6, 2020
Namur (BE)
I have requested to upgrade my Bikespeed RS in RSc with the sequense recommanded by Jackware and it has indeed solved the problem for the compatibility with the automatic mode.
I'm facing another problem.
The speed indication on the display is regularly changing in a range of +-6 mph.
i have checked several times the connections.
It is not permanent but frequentThere is no impact when I activate the tuning but it is really a problem if I keep the speed limit.
I have check the magnet that is on the disk as well tahn the captor and the cable and everything seems right
do you have a recommandation?

DDenis

Jun 6, 2020
Namur (BE)
Hi Richard,
Do you confirm that you have installed the speedbox2 on your AllMtn 7 without any problem with the speed sensor ?
Bikespeed told me that they didn’t know the new sensor of the PW-X2 and that it could be the origin of my issue (they have been very responsive and I appreciate their services a lot even if we don’t have the solution fir this 2021 model yet)
Thank you

DDenis

Jun 6, 2020
Namur (BE)
Richard,
Don’t you have activations/desactivations of the tuning when you are in automatic mode?
Is the walk assist still available as they mention 3 ways to activate the tuning (light, assist or up-down-up-down)
Thank you

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles