• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Tubeless Woes

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I changed my front tyre last week and it seemed to go well, however it was just killing me into a false sense of security. I went to check tyre pressures today, ready for Malvern tomorrow, and the tyre was flatter than an anorexic supermodel. All I did when I changed the tyre was that; change a tyre. It was already set up tubeless. Closer inspection revealed that it was leaking from the valve. So I tightened it up. Now it’s leaking from the spokes! What the fudge is going on? I did don’t disturb the valve or tape when I changed the tyre.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
If you dont have wide enough tape stick small tube in then dplit the tube open all round the centreline, fold it back over the rim mount the tyre and blow it up then carefully trim the excess tube off that sticking out where the tyre seats is called getto tubless

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There’s nowhere local to get tape.

Anyway, my day just got a whole lot worse...
IMG_3182.JPG

That’s the leaking spoke, complete with what looks to be a hairline crack.
?????

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's warrantyable.
Asuming the bike is less than a year old and they're the OEM wheels and not tweaked/tightened by yourself.

What rim is it?

Mavics used to do that a lot, Yours is due to the Aluminium being overly brittle and having no eyelets to spread the load.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It's a SunRigle Duroc 40. OEM wheel, not touched by my fair hands; I don't mess with wheels.

I've emailed the supplying dealer and Trek.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Many Sunringle rims definitley used to be some of the stiffest (which can also mean brittle) made.
I've no experience of the Duroc series rims though. Just inferno, MTX, Single/doublewide MAG series and ryno lites.
Rim material stiffness (and softness) is a big deal when riding DH and I'm a total geek for that sort of thing. Eg. a softer rim will dent easier but allow you not to puncture when it pinches. While it won't be as strong. it's a compromise. When racing DH rims are considered by many (me included) as disposible items.

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
The tire bead MUST sit on the tape to ensure a proper seal, of course if it does not it will be hit or miss. If you replace the tape I suggest ordering one a couple milimeters wider than the rim so that when it is properly installed and follows the rim contour it covers from J bead to J bead, also, do not forget to add tension when fitting the tape.
Hope this helps

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
When mine have failed it’s always been at the valve. I now put a very small pilot hole through the tape (with a pin) and then thread the valve in through the tape. It seems to make a better seal. G.

Frankenbetty

Jun 6, 2020
Llandegla
it’s always the rim tape when I’ve had this problem. I’ve been tubeless for years on my non E-bikes but on my new E-bike I’ve just stuck some Stans fluid in the tubes in a diy Slime tubes way. Reckoned the weight wasn’t such a big deal on an E-bike and just wanted the extra puncture protection without the faff.
when I was using tubeless properly an airshot tubeless pump was one of the best purchases I ever made as I found my compressor was a bit brutal and could damage the tape when I popped the tyre on

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
it’s always the rim tape when I’ve had this problem. I’ve been tubeless for years on my non E-bikes but on my new E-bike I’ve just stuck some Stans fluid in the tubes in a diy Slime tubes way. Reckoned the weight wasn’t such a big deal on an E-bike and just wanted the extra puncture protection without the faff.
when I was using tubeless properly an airshot tubeless pump was one of the best purchases I ever made as I found my compressor was a bit brutal and could damage the tape when I popped the tyre on
I tried this fluid in the tube once and it didn't work. All I got was sealent all over the inside of the tyre and a flat. Apparently the sealant spraying out of the puncture and reacting with the air is what causes the seal.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
had my tyres “tubelessed “ a week ago, was advised to expect some leakage until everything settles but after 50 miles they still lose all pressure overnight . Rims are tubeless ready. No obvious sign of leakage....should I expect this to improve ?? Am reluctant to venture too far from a good pump until I can be sure they will survive the ride.
Bike shop advised it will sort itself out after a couple of rides but its now more than a couple.
Any thoughts?
Have fun.
Yes, take it back and get them to do it again, it's not that hard!

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Hi Doomanic

Highly unlikely you will cure the problem with sealant alone, a good tubeless install should be capable of holding pressure without any sealant at all, the sealant should be for sealing puncture's in the tires. I always leave the fluid out and then test with air alone and if it's still holding air after 30 mins I remove the core and inject the fluid in through the valve.

100% a rim tape issue, not sure what wheels you have but try covering the the spoke holes with a narrow duct tape, start 100mm one side of the valve and finish 100mm the other side, then use a normal full width tape or rim strip over that. use a scalpel to carefully core out around the valve hole so that it seats properly.

Worth the effort and will make future tire changes a lot easier.
I've found that cutting a perfect circle in the rim tape for the valve can cause leaks, I've had more success with cutting a small cross into the centre of the hole and then pushing the valve through. This makes the rim tape come through the hole a bit and seals better against the rim preventing air getting in underneath. Just my 2c what works best for me.

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I'm running cushcores and have noticed what I believe is a pattern of the spokes leaking at first, then sealing up really well almost immediately if instead of putting the sealant in the tire carcass, I push it in through the valve stem. I think it keeps it close to the spokes and then the air immediately tries to escape there and pushes the sealant into the spokes.

Matt van

Jun 1, 2023
Canberra ACT
if you let a tubeless go flat you can just pump it back up and if your lucky it'll stay pumped up but more than likely will need to put fresh tape and sealant in it, but if you use it enough and it doesn't go flat it should last for a couple of years. I check the tyre pressure before each ride as I use 20 and 25psi which is low and add sealant every 6 months and this works for me

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles