Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
5955.jpg

Product name: Troy Lee Designs 5955 Chest Protector
Price paid: £190
Score (out of 10): 6

Review:

Another Golden oldie from Troy Lee Designs. Like the 7855 it's also been around for 9 years - for the simple fact that it's good !

I'd discounted this from all my early research due to it's age and price. It's older than everything else and more expensive than everything else. Though I have seen it for €150 since buying it.

A hard plastic armour over shock doctor foam. Unlike all the latest versions from Fox, Alpinestars and everyone else, it's heavily adjustable, customisable and well ventilated.

The Outside view, laid flat :

5955 outall.jpg

Basically, the best chest, ribs and clavicle protection there is.

Inside :

5955 inall.jpg

Unlike all the competition, it has great ventilation on the outside AND on the inside. The shock doctor foam has air channels formed throughout to additionally aid in ventilation. I was a bit sceptical about these, but it does actually seem to work.

Looking out through the chest :

5955infront.jpg

The various screws and caps don't seem to touch your skin, or if they do anywhere, you don't notice them.

The 5955 also comes with excellent shoulder protection and upper arm protection - but does unfortunately lack protection to the deltoids/sides of the shoulders.

The back protector gives good upper back coverage and is comfortable and cool (for a slab of plastic and foam). The bottom section "floats" so it doesn't press into you - but then equally might swing out of the way when you need it most. I've since removed this bit as I find it annoying flapping about.

The main downfall with the 5955 is the back protection is quite short - too short really for ideal MTB coverage. I've read of several people who've extended it, but do you want to be doing this when you've just spent almost £200 on protection.

This is the fitment guide. I went medium, but should probably have gone large - I think the shoulders would sit out slightly wider and the back would sit slightly lower down.

The top two chest screws and the top two back screws can be removed and the webbing sections re-located into three different positions front and back, so you can shorten and lengthen the front to back distance over the shoulders by about 6cm's in total.

Nearly all the panels can be removed depending on what protection you want or if you use a neck brace :

5955 fit remove.jpg

The screws are aluminium and quite soft. It does come with a tool to remove these, but you actually need one for the outside and one for the inside, so you need a screwdriver too. One of mine was obscenely tight and I damaged it removing it, the others have all been ok.

Fortunately, it also comes with a bag of spares :

5955 spares.jpg

A question I've seen raised a few times - can you wear the TLD 5955 over a TLD 7855 for ultimate protection ??

The answer is yes. Neither is too bulky and they actually sit well together. They also vent well together and are far cooler than all the other armour combinations I've tried.

Wearing in combination I removed the 7855 upper arm pads (as these are duplicated by the 5955), the upper chest protector and the upper and middle back protectors.

combi front.jpg

combi back.jpg

Amazingly, it all sits really nicely and is not restrictive.

As @dobbyhasfriends pointed out, it does also resemble the colonial marine armour from Aliens :

aliens.jpg

They also make a stripped down version without the upper chest, shoulders and arms called the 5900.

UPDATE : After using this in combination with the TLD7855 for a while, I eventually found I was de-hydrating too much. So whilst I wasn't hot and the two together were evaporating moisture and keeping me cool - I was sweating too much to achieve it. This was when riding in 32-36c temperatures. I've also dropped it from 8 to 6 as the back is simply too short to give proper spine protection and the lack of deltoid protection in the shoulders means that worn on it's own, it doesn't protect a lot of vital impact areas.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Pain can be quite inspiring :)

I normally think most "bike" stuff is stupidly overpriced for what it is, so set myself a budget.

In this case .. "Project Up-Armour" went unlimited budget - I just don't want the same injuries again and if I'm riding with fractured ribs/shoulder etc I need to be more protected.

Realistically, as Project Up-Armour has gone on .. it's become pretty obvious that the standard 7855 would actually suffice for 99% of accidents. But I'm committed .. or should be committed ?

Upgrading the 7855 is actually a better choice than many of the other options out there (with extra D3O and lattice armour - which will be another thread when I get round to it..)

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Pain can be quite inspiring
So so right. I think I've got enough body protection but I really need to upgrade my head protection. Besides, after my kamikaze Magpie attack, my helmet won't fit my swollen head. I'd better wait to see if my head returns to normal size & shape before getting a new one. Painful.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have the 661 equivalent of that TLD and inside it states it is not designed to protect from impacts but rather to protect from flying debris......these things are after all primarily MX pieces of kit.
I also wonder whether hard shell armour worn over soft panel armour like D30 actually interferes with the impact absorbtion/ spread design of that technology.
In general I think the soft armour vests with a near compression body fit do more to spread any impact especially as any fall involves multiple short phase impacts in various parts as you roll/fly.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So so right. I think I've got enough body protection but I really need to upgrade my head protection. Besides, after my kamikaze Magpie attack, my helmet won't fit my swollen head. I'd better wait to see if my head returns to normal size & shape before getting a new one. Painful.
If your helmet took a big impact you need to bin it anyway.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ah....bin the head then! I can only assume he has a haircut that is blown by the wind into a centre parting with both side fluttering like a bird on the wing...hence the attack....or maybe a Bobby Charlton combover? :p

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I also wonder whether hard shell armour worn over soft panel armour like D30 actually interferes with the impact absorbtion/ spread design of that technology.

I guess there will never be a definitive answer as every accident/crash then Angle/speed/object impacted - it's angle, shape and so on will vary for pretty much very crash. What will work for one crash at one angle with a tree might not work at another angle with a rock or a snapped off branch you might impale yourself on.

The vitro-elastic armours all absorb energy, the better ones spread that impact over a larger area. Ultimately they're still not magic so there's only so much they can absorb/deflect/spread for any given thickness. Most of them become thick and therefore too heavy and hot for mountain biking once they get to higher levels of protection - so manufacturers are forced to reduce the area protected to keep them usable.

D3O and others make laminated versions with hard plastic outers. The plastic spreads the impact over a larger area. The foam absorbs the energy. If the impact is severe enough the foam will react and harden providing more protection - but presumably at a much higher level of impact as the outer layer will have absorbed and dispersed a lot of the energy. You would be effectively changing something which would pass CE1 to be something which would pass CE2. Like leatt with the airfit hybrid. The visco-elastic panels are covered in a hard plastic layer. For me, this didn't work as mountain bike protection as the plastic layer then made the foam more rigid and the suit moved around too much because of it (plus the abysmally poor area of protection, even compated to the Airfit Light).

In general I think the soft armour vests with a near compression body fit do more to spread any impact especially as any fall involves multiple short phase impacts in various parts as you roll/fly.

Possibly, it will all depend on the impact. I guess we have to look at how we ride, where we ride, what kind of fall we think we might have and what parts of our body are we concerned about and want to protect. These are all going to be different for everyone and will determine what area we want, what type, what comfort, what heat levels.

I have the 661 equivalent of that TLD and inside it states it is not designed to protect from impacts but rather to protect from flying debris......these things are after all primarily MX pieces of kit.

Indeed, a lot of the "Roost Guards" were primarily designed just to defect small stones and such like. Lots do more than that and offer chest/back/shoulder/arm protection. Some are rated CE1, some CE2. Some aren't tested. The one you have, whilst not tested, if it's the one I think it is actually looks pretty substantial. I think it's made from poly-carbonate/Lexan. I'm pretty sure if you could hit the hell out of it with a hammer and it's going to stay intact and hold it's shape. Troy Lee don't seem to bother with the CE tests. In fairness the 7855 and the 5955 were both introduced before the 2014/2016 tests were introduced. Interestingly, no one seems to test and pass the 2018 tests (much improved for area of coverage) , they still only pass the, sadly, very basic 2014/2016 tests.

To take an example. Your 661 isn't CE1 rated. Yet the Alpinestars paragon pro is CE1 rated chest. The 7855 isn't rated either and the chest on that is considerably more protective than the Paragon Pro. The 5955 is massively more protective than the Airfit Hybrid, yet the hybrid is CE2 and the 5955 isn't rated. Some things are designed just to pass the test, rather than usable protection being the design criteria. Some things are designed with both in mind. Some things are designed just to be protective and no one cares about the test as they've already decided it will either compromise the design, they don't care or they don't want to pay for the test for a low run item.

I quite like the look of your 661 though, it looks pretty well thought out and ventilated.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Thanks so much for these reviews. I'm also on the hunt and have tried more than a few. I'm tired of breaking/bruising ribs but I struggle with how hot some of these get. And I find most of them actually don't go very far around the rib cage. They mostly protect the chest but ignore the sides. If I wear pretty much any of the half dozen I own they don't protect where my ribs currently hurt. I have the TLD7855 but it's a size big. I have the vest on order in a smaller size so I hope that works as it looks to have proper rib protection under the armpits. But I worry about it being too warm to ride in all year round.

This weekend I rode with the Fly Racing Barracade Zipvest under one of Robs long sleeve shirts and it was warm but very comfortable. Especially the back protector area was warm. But it was 9 degrees and windy. In 35 degrees in Summer I'd probably pass out. I'm sure a short sleeve shirt will help and I'm on the hunt for the shirt with the most airflow so I can wear protection in summer. Maybe I need one of those 1980's Freddie Mercury mesh t-shirts? :)

Gordon

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Nothing beyond the open sea is going to be cool in 35°!!
No amount or design of armour reasonable to wear when riding will prevent a broken rib if the impact is hard enough. It will however reduce most fall injuries to bruising or at worse cartilage damage rather than a punctured lung.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Ah....bin the head then! I can only assume he has a haircut that is blown by the wind into a centre parting with both side fluttering like a bird on the wing...hence the attack....or maybe a Bobby Charlton combover? :p
A combover might’ve had a desired scare-crow effect. I know I’m challenged in myriad ways but follicular challenge definitely isn't one of them. Yet still not sufficient to cushion the blow :censored:

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Nothing beyond the open sea is going to be cool in 35°!!
No amount or design of armour reasonable to wear when riding will prevent a broken rib if the impact is hard enough. It will however reduce most fall injuries to bruising or at worse cartilage damage rather than a punctured lung.

True. But I think it’s not too much to ask to have something with decent airflow and reasonable protection around the sides of the ribs.I’m going to try the Fox raceframe next week.

Gordon

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Great overview ZF!

I am no longer in my 20’s and I injure faster and heal slower, so for me it’s an easy decision: ride with protection to avoid injuries and continue being a provider at home, productive member of society and pay taxes. Or, risk severe injury and go on ‘benefits’, paid for those productive guys, above.

Second factor is the cost. What is it as % of your daily/monthly income? Consider it income protection plan.

Of course it is warm and little uncomfortable, and this is why these reviews are so important, to compare real notes as opposed to reading marketing propaganda.

So, ZF please keep on rolling, as many of us read it with keen interest.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
True. But I think it’s not too much to ask to have something with decent airflow and reasonable protection around the sides of the ribs.I’m going to try the Fox raceframe next week.
This is the best video I've seen on the fox raceframes. At least he gives you a good look around so you can see how they're made and what padding/ventilation they have.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have the TLD7855 but it's a size big. I have the vest on order in a smaller size so I hope that works as it looks to have proper rib protection under the armpits. But I worry about it being too warm to ride in all year round.
Especially the back protector area was warm. But it was 9 degrees and windy. In 35 degrees in Summer I'd probably pass out. I'm sure a short sleeve shirt will help and I'm on the hunt for the shirt with the most airflow so I can wear protection in summer. Maybe I need one of those 1980's Freddie Mercury mesh t-shirts? :)

The 7855's are weird with their degree of Stretchyness .. Mine is a medium and fits well. I don't think I'd want to size down though as the arms would be too short. If you look at the Rocky Mountain ATV video's the guy wearing one there is 6'1 or 6'2 so maybe 4 inches more than me and 30lbs heavier , yet they have him in a Medium... I keep thinking they mean large ... cannot compute.

I get warm in the 7855 as you'd expect .. I'd be warm if I only had a shirt on .. It's been used quite a few times this season in 36 degree rides and I've not felt like I'm going to die at all. Only the Alpinestars Bionix felt like I was going to sauna myself to death.

Today's ride was the 5955 over the 7855. I removed the rest of the neck brace pads from the 7855 so the 5955 sat closer and lower over the shoulders. I was warm, but the other guys with less vented D30 armour looked like someone was throwing buckets of water over them.

I only wear a shirt over the top if it's cold. That extra layer hugely drops airflow when it's hot and the 7855 seems to hold up well to falls. As I find it chafe's (this might just be me), I wear a really light weight running top underneath - but have just bought some Freddy Mercury lightweight running vests to try when it's 30+ to see if that actually makes any difference or not.

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
Am liking this series as myself as an older rider takes much longer to heal to. In the crashes I have had fingers/hands have always taken a bit of a hit and unfortunately my nuts in a really bad handlebar episode. Zimmerframe what you recommend for gloves??

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Try Under Armour compression vest as first layer. (Heatware series for summer/Coldwear for winter) . Not only does compression gear ( assuming properly designed) prevent muscle oscillation and therefore fatigue it wicks sweat away from your body...again provided what you wear I terms of armour also allows air flow. It also helps in putting on pullover type armour. It is anti bacterial so more hygienic as well. I recommend UA because it is good quality but there are a couple of other similar brands. I use UA for windsurfing as well as a base layer under my wetsuits.....the vests are still as new.....the waistband elastic of the shorts does suffer after a couple of years of sea water treatment though!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Zimmerframe what you recommend for gloves??
I tried various waterproof things at the start, none of which were waterproof and none which really felt "connected".

My previous ones were the Fox Defend with the D30 knuckle protection (I like the idea of protection............) Mine had faulty D30 though, it didn't harden on impact and after 2 months had turned to concrete. They're quite light weight, I thought the palms would wear through in weeks with my death grip and trail building abuse, but they actually held up really well. Sadly on my last crash one of the fingers ripped off, but with fractured fingers, what do you expect ! Presently running Fox Dirtpaw. These are slightly heavier weight and have a padded palm. Initially I found them a bit warm but I've adjusted to them a bit. Maybe I'm like a dog or something, but I find if my hands get too warm I struggle to concentrate, uhmmmm maybe this is the real reason I like holding a cold beer ?? :unsure:

After lots of searching I'm going to order several pairs of decathlon ones to try out over the next few months. They seem to have a good range which look well thought out. There's even a Rockrider pair with D30 knuckle protection like the Fox defend (these are on offer on the Fox US site for $24), except they're about €19 (on offer) instead of €55 - hence why I can justify buying several different types to try.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
For warmth and to be waterproof I use windsurfing gloves....they are completely useless for windsurfing though! No full glove works for windsurfing so it is just a matter of going through the pain barrier .For me the most important thing for summer gloves is fit so online is not an option. They need to be a firm fit and be thin. All I need is some protection from passing shrubbery and a good grip on the bars.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
For warmth and to be waterproof I use windsurfing gloves....they are completely useless for windsurfing though! No full glove works for windsurfing so it is just a matter of going through the pain barrier .For me the most important thing for summer gloves is fit so online is not an option. They need to be a firm fit and be thin. All I need is some protection from passing shrubbery and a good grip on the bars.
...and most important of all....colour coordinated with my riding gear!!!

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I am a big fan of Mechanix gloves. I used it for years for diff applications, although admittedly, never crash-tested it. However, they have many designs, diff options and level of protection.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A quick update on this armour and also the "Armour Layering" ie, the 5955 over the 7855.

So, the 5955. It's nicely designed, fits well, is very protective, not too heavy . BUT ... For mountain bike use I don't think it really works so well.

Two reasons.

Firstly, the back protection. It's just too short. For such a protective item, it leaves too much back unprotected. I've taken to wearing an armoured "bum bag" "Sac Banana" "Fanny bag" depending where you are in the world at the same time so the lower part of the back is protected - this is ridiculous when wearing this level of armour ! :)

Secondly, the shoulders. It gives excellent protection over the tops of the shoulders and the collar bone areas, but doesn't really give any protection to the sides of the shoulders.

Armour Layering .. In this situation and I think most situations, it doesn't really work.

Most armours that change from CE1 to CE2 and offer a 50% reduction in impact with that change, achieved with an increase by 30% in thickness . So you go from for instance 16mm to 21.5mm.

My layering more than doubles thickness - so there's excessing bulk & weight. Yes, it's probably considerably more than CE2 protection, but it's quite cumbersome - you don't really notice until you ride without it.

The other issue is heat. Both of these items breath really well, better than anything else I've tried. Together, they still breath well. Unfortunately though, with anything where you layer, you reduce how easy it is for air to transfer, so ultimately you get hotter. Whilst I didn't feel uncomfortable riding, when I try to take the 7855 off it's welded to me and totally soaked in sweat - this doesn't happen if you have it on it's own.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I wear a bum bag anyway so that wouldn't bother me. My Merida can't take a water bottle so I always ride with something strapped to my arse... :)

I tried the Fox Raceframe roost the last couple of weekends. First under my shirt with a vest layer to stop chaffing and this weekend straight over my short sleeved Fox Ranger shirt. The Raceframe needs something under it as it's not super comfortable straight against the skin.

I was pretty pleased with it. First weekend was cool. About 12-14 C. I was warm but not hot. Last weekend was we started about 15C and finished at 24C and I was fine. I hardly noticed the Raceframe over my shirt once I got riding. And I don't think it looked weird either. I have a Fox Flexair shirt coming and I think that, with the Raceframe might be my go to for summer riding.

I have the TLD Vest here as well. I'll give that a try this weekend.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles