Trek Rail upgrades, what have you done?

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Hey Tony how do you find the lever? Looking at one of these as they seem quite good. The FAQs are quite funny. It looks like I may be able to reverse it & perhaps use it with a finger pull rather than a thumb push. Otherwise I might try the giant switch
I really like it, really smooth with the large bearing and a nice tactile grip on the lever. I still have to de weight to drop post but am used to that now.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I would not do that. Dont trim down or cut anything on shock mount. Keep away from using the used eyelet bushings.
I bought new eyelet teflon bushings and RockShox 1/2x1/2-Inch Rear Shock Bushing Tool for pressing them to eyelet. You should be careful because in shock mount there are strong forces and frame can be damaged by grind.

Utter rubbish.

The spacers are just that, spacers. They are not stressed frame parts so altering the length of a thin aluminium sleeve will have no detrimental effect on the strength of the frame.

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
...not worth responding to that. Everyone has to make their own decisions with their bikes.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Not worth responding? Then why post anything?

I don’t know which bit you think I’ve modified, but you could happily use nylon in it’s place. It’s only there to hold the shock in position, all the stressed parts are unmodified.

You need to fix your links too...

BigMark

Feb 10, 2020
I had a spare 500 watt battery from my old Powerfly 5 and wondered if this adaptor that was not advertised for the Rail 7 would work.

Adaptor

Along with the extra Plate from my warranty claim, I now have an extra battery for $26.

TrekAllantDiamantZoumaBatteryParts_31534_A_Primary

zm0mROx.jpg

cQ5YJZK.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Fair enough, the ones I've seen are the other way up but it probably doesn't matter.

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
Ugly as sin but effective...

Doing some more searching it indeed seems to come down to the 760 mudhugger, or a front RRP; either way, I guess I can always dremel it to make it a bit shorter and less ugly, next to of course unmounting it when the weather allows, tie wraps are cheap and plenty ;)

Thanks!

And ordered...:

We'll see how ugly she becomes with both a Zeb front and a huge mudhugger on the back.... and then to find some mud ;)

Last edited:

smuts

May 3, 2020
Switzerland
Garmin mount by Project 76, one-up edc in the stem and spare tube attached to the frame with a one-up strap. Slapper tape hack to prevent dirt and gravel to go where not intended

F1263B04-5006-4089-8901-6555801AC571.jpeg 547086EB-8251-44B4-9289-15265EBEF4B9.jpeg

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
I have nearly finished my upgrades.

I have included the £ to get a feel for what I spent.

I managed to get the bike when there was a shortage at the end of the summer whilst saving some money ( Vs the rail 7 and 9 ) and picking the components I wanted.

I would like to switch to XT 12 speed at some stage, but the SRAM SX is doing the job for now.

Trek Rail 5 - 500Wh Version 3,800
Mavic E-XA Elite 30 Wheelset 295
625 Battery 600
M8120 XT Brakes 140
XT Rotors 60
Eddy Current Tyres 70
Rockshox Lyrik Select 160mm 425
Spank Spike 800 31.8 handlebar 60
SOLD
Original Wheelset (95)
500 Battery (450)
Original Brakes (60)
Original Tyres (48)
Original Forks (250)
TOTAL 4,547

Last edited:

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Finally installed my cushcores. Watched a couple of installation vids & TBH took maybe ten minutes more than a tyre change. Took the bike for a ride & I def love them. I like running my tyres quite low & like the spongy feeling of low pressures. They sucked up all the small square edge bumps & rocks which over a long term will hopefully mean less-sore wrists & a more comfortable ride. That was my reason for installing them.
An added bonus was the handling of the bike around berms was greatly improved. I was actually quite surprised how different the bike felt at speed. Best of both worlds. I would recommend them

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Yes every upgrade from grips to bars & finally cushcores have helped. I think the cushcores & low tyre pressures have been the best however after the first ride I tend to forget how it was before installing them.
I tried my mates accoustic SC with Lyrics the other day & was very impressed with how plush they felt compared to my Yaris so I'm researching now how to get the plushest ride out of the Yari without spending much money :)

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Yes every upgrade from grips to bars & finally cushcores have helped. I think the cushcores & low tyre pressures have been the best however after the first ride I tend to forget how it was before installing them.
I tried my mates accoustic SC with Lyrics the other day & was very impressed with how plush they felt compared to my Yaris so I'm researching now how to get the plushest ride out of the Yari without spending much money :)
Great! I got those bars in the recent sale ? just waiting for the stem to arrive.Yes I agree the Yari needs improvement, cheapest option seems to be upgrading it to Lyric spec. Eventually the only original part will be the frame itself! But tinkering and upgrading is part of the fun ?

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK

This would get you the Charger 2 damper. Not the very newest 2.1 damper, but still a very good upgrade. Its the damper with the remote.

SRAM Part number: 00.4018.783.020

www.amazon.co.uk/Rockshox-Unisexs-Charger2-Completeright-Internals/dp/B0727S96GT

Fits the Lyrik as per the SRAM manual:

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
This would get you the Charger 2 damper. Not the very newest 2.1 damper, but still a very good upgrade. Its the damper with the remote.

SRAM Part number: 00.4018.783.020

www.amazon.co.uk/Rockshox-Unisexs-Charger2-Completeright-Internals/dp/B0727S96GT

Fits the Lyrik as per the SRAM manual:

Thanks for that link. Have you done this upgrade & if so was it noticable? I was wondering if it would be worth replacing the seals with skf too.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've upgraded my Yari with a Charger 2.1 RC2 damper, 2021 airshaft and SKF seals. Massive improvement. So good that I'm not convinced I'll see any benefit going to a coil conversion on the forks.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
Thanks for that link. Have you done this upgrade & if so was it noticable? I was wondering if it would be worth replacing the seals with skf too.

Not done the upgrade myself so can't comment on the benefits. I had a rockshox 35 that I sold and purchased a lyrik select which was a significant upgrade. The Lyrik Select has the same damper is my understanding.

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
Has someone changed the fork? I think Trek Rail is running a specific one with a bigger crown, don’t know if an aftermarket one would work. Thanks

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
Has someone changed the fork? I think Trek Rail is running a specific one with a bigger crown, don’t know if an aftermarket one would work. Thanks

Aftermarket works fine. The bigger crown is not a requirement. If rockshox thought the forks should have a bigger crown they would make it that way for everyone.

Jamescoughlan

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2020
Aberporth
I've upgraded my Yari with a Charger 2.1 RC2 damper, 2021 airshaft and SKF seals. Massive improvement. So good that I'm not convinced I'll see any benefit going to a coil conversion on the forks.
I did the same. Then I fitted a coil Smashpot. It made a massive positive difference! Do it.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I rode my mate's Levo with a Smashpot in Revs with the RevUp damper and it didn't feel much different to mine, certainly not enough to justify the cost.

John B

Nov 25, 2020
Folkestone
I bough a 2021 9.8. I have upgraded

Bontrager line pro 40 carbon wheels
Michelin enduro tyres running tubeless.
Magura MT7 pro brakes with 220mm floating router on the front with 200mm on the rear.
SRAM XO1 groupset (without cranks)
Magura brake/shifter single clamps
DMR death grip grips with red anodised clamps
DMR V12 Pedals

Out of all of these upgrades, the brakes have made the biggest difference .

16B0C8B4-D307-4516-A1C3-453CB265EB81.jpeg

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
2021 9.9 x0

Eagle AXS upgrade
Easton Monkeylite bars
XTR SPD pedals
Rocket Ron Tires
Stans latex (going to remove the bontrager juice in it now)
side bottle mount
FrameShield (on certain areas)
SRAM lock-on foam grips
Selle IT saddle (which one tbd)
more to follow no doubt...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles