Trek rail rear shock upgrade ideas please

GlassKnee

Aug 30, 2020
New Zealand
So just had first ride on Jade X, left reb all the way in and its SICK!
Biggest noticeable thing on decents was how much harder I could brake without locking rear....huge improvement! Pedaled the whole ride in full open, no dramas at all, tried the full lockout for 10 sec and was like being on a hard tail.
The 500lb spring was really nice and plush for my 95kg ride weight, disnt notice any bottom outs.
The shock is plush as a plush thing!
No regrets in the slightest after maiden ride, have only had six rides in total on the Rail 9 and am beating KOM's even in winter ?

View attachment 37027
Planning on upgrading to DVO Jade X. Did you get a 230x57.5? and did you need parts for mounting? Cheers!

Got a large Trek Rail 7 btw.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Planning on upgrading to DVO Jade X. Did you get a 230x57.5? and did you need parts for mounting? Cheers!

Got a large Trek Rail 7 btw.
Yep 57.5, haven't needed any extra travel so far.
I've got a 9 so did need mounting hardware as it has the trunnion mount shock. The 7 has thru bolt shock but not sure if it needs different hardware or just correct shock bushes sorry.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've got a 230*60 Jade X on a Rail 7. I reused the original shock hardware but had to modify the spacers. The low friction bushes on the Jade X are wider than the OEM Rockshox so you need to take approximately 1.1mm off each spacer. Ideally, you'd use a lathe but as I don't have access to one I very carefully linished them down to the correct length.

Incidentally, the Jade uses different lower spring cups to limit travel so it's very easy to adjust, assuming your dealer can order them in.

GlassKnee

Aug 30, 2020
New Zealand
@Doomanic is DVO selling the mounting bolts and spacers needed for the Rail 7? If yes, which size do I need? With my diy skills I’m not really confident on reducing the thickness of the spacers ?

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the quick replies.

Bought a Fox DPX2 230x60 and just installed on my Rail 7 Medium. Just swaped all hardware from the oem rock shox

IMG_20201002_150009_112.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Can you post a pic of the shock at full compression?

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
@PanchoBuc, what other spacers (size) or something else did you buy for installing this Fox Float DPX2 2020 on Trek Rail7 ?

Currently I have the RockShox Deluxe Select+ installed on my Rail7.

Last edited:

@PanchoBuc, what other spacers (size) or something else did you buy for installing this Fox Float DPX2 2020 on Trek Rail7 ?

Currently I have the RockShox Deluxe Select+ installed on my Rail7.
Nothing, used all the hardware from the Deluxe, even the bushings. If you don't want to remove the bushings, you should cut the lips of the Fox plastic bushings, with them, it's to wide.

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
What feelings and diference with dpx2? And with same sag as oem, do you have to give more or same PSI?

What feelings and diference with dpx2? And with same sag as oem, do you have to give more or same PSI?
Haven't tested it yet, but will today. Sag is up to rider preference, but consider OEM is 57.5mm travel, this one 60mm. Always liked more the Fox feeling against rock shox. But also here it's way easier to get a fox serviced than a Rock Shox. The Deluxe surprised me on this bike, much better than what it did on the Thok or Levo....but then I think again, and what is really awesome in this bike, is the rear suspension and geometry

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
Nothing, used all the hardware from the Deluxe, even the bushings. If you don't want to remove the bushings, you should cut the lips of the Fox plastic bushings, with them, it's to wide.
Did you have to replace the tan/white bushings with a Fox DU bushing to be able to use the Rockshox pin from the old shock?

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
I did as you write on the upper mount (using RockShox Rear Shock Bushing Tool - it is universal). And for lower there I bought the 40mm component by Fox. The lower part on Trek rear shock is standard but upper isnt.

alexhalliow

Nov 5, 2020
Isle of Wight
Fox Float X2 230x57.5 on medium Rail 5. Re-used all mounting hardware from Rockshox shock bike came with, including the DU bushing from both eyelets.

No clearance issues with down tube when shock is fully compressed.

View attachment 43067
Did you get the Trunnion mount X2 for this? I cannot see in the picture. I have the re:activ so has the yoke on the bottom, so presume will need some hardware for the bottom?

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
Did you get the Trunnion mount X2 for this? I cannot see in the picture. I have the re:activ so has the yoke on the bottom, so presume will need some hardware for the bottom?
Non trunnion mount just as is the original shock my Rail 5 came with.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles