Trek rail rear shock upgrade ideas please

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
How much sag does that give you? We're similar weight but I'm going for a 550.

Branny21

May 22, 2020
california
Guys with the coil shock do you feel like the suspension bottoms out to easily due to the shock being so linear? I have the Jade X and everything is great on it but i hit some chunky high speed trails and it almost seemed like it was to low in the travel to often? could just be in my head or how the Ebike rides

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Cane Creek do a progressive spring, could be worth a try.

acmcdonaldgp

Jun 21, 2020
AB
A question for those who’ve already swapped to a Rockshox coil....

I’m looking at a 230x57.5 super deluxe ultimate that is a takeoff from a new Megatower.

If you have already made this swap, can you tell me if you needed any new bushings or bearings? Or can the fittings from the existing shock be transferred over?

I’m having a heck of a time trying to figure out what I might need to be prepared with, if anything.

Thanks in advance

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Guys with the coil shock do you feel like the suspension bottoms out to easily due to the shock being so linear? I have the Jade X and everything is great on it but i hit some chunky high speed trails and it almost seemed like it was to low in the travel to often? could just be in my head or how the Ebike rides

Nope, the Rail is reasonably progressive (certainly in the zone for working with a coil). How much sag are you running? Maybe i'm slightly different as my shock has a hydraulic bottom out.

A question for those who’ve already swapped to a Rockshox coil....

I’m looking at a 230x57.5 super deluxe ultimate that is a takeoff from a new Megatower.

If you have already made this swap, can you tell me if you needed any new bushings or bearings? Or can the fittings from the existing shock be transferred over?

I’m having a heck of a time trying to figure out what I might need to be prepared with, if anything.

Thanks in advance

Is this the coil or air RS SD? AFAIK, normal RS piggyback shocks don't fit as the piggyback is too big & hits the downtube before using all of it's travel.

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
I would also suggest reaching out to the guys at DVO, I worked with Ronnie and he help work on settings on the D1 Boost and Topaz 3 from my previous eMTB. Everything recommended by him did the trick. From my experience with DVO suspension, that the switch can be flipped to firm and is still ridable.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 8.58.59 AM.png

acmcdonaldgp

Jun 21, 2020
AB
Is this the coil or air RS SD? AFAIK, normal RS piggyback shocks don't fit as the piggyback is too big & hits the downtube before using all of it's travel.

It’s the coil....I’ve got an XL frame, and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen people on here who’ve made the swap......

But if a RS piggyback coil won’t fit, I’d appreciate that confirmation too.

Leo76dragon

May 2, 2020
Can confirm the EXT Storia does fit, but needs the shorter piggyback option. (45mm rather than 55mm).

Bike was running 230x60 for a bit more rear travel, had to put a spacer in, so it's now 230x59 to ensure it doesn't hit on hard bottom out.
do you have a picture ... Im thinking of going with Storia for my rail...

smuts

May 3, 2020
Switzerland
PSA: Cane Creek Double Barrels are a no-go as well due to piggyback size. I suspected it and got proof today when I had a chance to verify on basis of an older CCDB
25793603-5061-4B74-A62F-F12FC439B819.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If you’re in the UK give TFTuned a call. They are PUSH dealers and have experience fitting coil shocks to Rails.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
For those interested. A Push 11-6 SS fits. Mine is 230x65mm & it ‘just’ has enough seatstay brace clearance against the back of the seat tube. I have put a 1mm spacer in it just to ensure if Indont fully bottom out on a hard flat landing & have a contact.

I think it equates to approx 166mm rear wheel travel. It also just fits a bottle now too, which is a win :)

Leo76dragon

May 2, 2020
For those interested. A Push 11-6 SS fits. Mine is 230x65mm & it ‘just’ has enough seatstay brace clearance against the back of the seat tube. I have put a 1mm spacer in it just to ensure if Indont fully bottom out on a hard flat landing & have a contact.

I think it equates to approx 166mm rear wheel travel. It also just fits a bottle now too, which is a win :)
Got a picture of it? I have a 230 x 60 on my sb150 and would like to put it on my rail 9.9. What hardware/spacers did you use?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles