Trek rail fork upgrades / extra thick crown

d7e8wd

May 11, 2020
UK
Has anyone upgraded their fork to a new model that doesn't have the extra think crown that Trek have specced on the rail models?

I have a 2021 9.7 on the way specced with a yari, and I have a set of lyriks with the push ACS3 conversion on my 2018 Slash. Will be doing the majority of my riding on the Rail going forward so wouldnt want to waste these forks just sitting in the shed. They do however just have a standard size crown.

Has anyone upgraded in a similar manner? Got any pics to show?

Cheers!

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I thought the yaris & lyriks were the same chassis but different internals? COuldn't you just swap the internals over?

Djlcater

Mar 22, 2020
Uk
Has anyone upgraded their fork to a new model that doesn't have the extra think crown that Trek have specced on the rail models?

I have a 2021 9.7 on the way specced with a yari, and I have a set of lyriks with the push ACS3 conversion on my 2018 Slash. Will be doing the majority of my riding on the Rail going forward so wouldnt want to waste these forks just sitting in the shed. They do however just have a standard size crown.

Has anyone upgraded in a similar manner? Got any pics to show?

Cheers!
Yes I have on my rail 5 no issues at all!
FC277AC0-6917-4AEC-9FD6-A2E2154FC5C4.jpeg

d7e8wd

May 11, 2020
UK
I thought the yaris & lyriks were the same chassis but different internals? COuldn't you just swap the internals over?
I think the spring will have knocked around the inside of the stanchion tube enough to cause issues with trying to put an air spring back in its place. Push are very vocal on it being a one way ticket, guess it couldn't hurt to try though..

Stanpipe

Jun 12, 2020
Isle of Wight - UK
I think the spring will have knocked around the inside of the stanchion tube enough to cause issues with trying to put an air spring back in its place. Push are very vocal on it being a one way ticket, guess it couldn't hurt to try though..

TF tuned have informed me that they can use the smash pot conversion system in the other leg using a slightly different travel (eg, 160 to 170mm). They swap the damper over. That way, you can swap it all back if you want to sell on as original or convert back again.

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
I have normal Lyrik on my Nomad and compared to that Rail's Yari chassis also has different lower legs. Biggest difference is length so changing fork to standard you will alter the geo of the bike.
7BA6C672-8FC1-4B2B-8054-7CB285A3E900.jpeg

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
I had also MRP Ribbon Coil, but never tried it on my Rail. Simply was never happy with the Ribbon damper on ealier bikes and ended up to sell it. On my Rail I have changed the stock Yari damper to Charger 2.1 RC2 damper and also upgraded to SKF seals. Now it's basically Lyrik Ultimate with EMTB specific crown and lower legs. Hard to see which fork would be better at the moment.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
TF tuned have informed me that they can use the smash pot conversion system in the other leg using a slightly different travel (eg, 160 to 170mm). They swap the damper over. That way, you can swap it all back if you want to sell on as original or convert back again.
It is as simple as just swapping the parts left to right?

ronianash

Mar 27, 2020
Squamish, BC
I had also MRP Ribbon Coil, but never tried it on my Rail. Simply was never happy with the Ribbon damper on ealier bikes and ended up to sell it. On my Rail I have changed the stock Yari damper to Charger 2.1 RC2 damper and also upgraded to SKF seals. Now it's basically Lyrik Ultimate with EMTB specific crown and lower legs. Hard to see which fork would be better at the moment.
I've done the same with my Yari.

Stanpipe

Jun 12, 2020
Isle of Wight - UK
It is as simple as just swapping the parts left to right?
Not too sure. They did say that travel would need to be altered slightly, say by 10mm, for some reason. Give them a call. They’ll be happy to talk you through it. There’s 2 employees in there that have done this and added a 230x60mm Ohlins. Basically ups rear travel to 157mm with 170 fork. Think they ride mino link in low to balance it out a bit

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My Mino Link is already in low...

I'm looking to go to 170mm with the Smashpot and a coil shock of some description, probably the DVO Jade X (if it fits...).

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
I swapped the Yari for a DVO D1, that I had to upcycled from 27.5 to 29, since it was on my previous EMTB. The fork doesn't look to off with a smaller crown. But what looks funny is the 26" bike that inherited the Yari with the oversized crown.

IMG_6616 copy.jpg

IMG_6616.jpg

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US
Yes I have on my rail 5 no issues at all! View attachment 34518
Hey how are you liking the Rail 5?? I’m seriously considering selling my 19’ Decoy for one very soon. But I wanted to put a 180mm Fox 38 Ebike fork I have in it on it and I’m confused why according to Trek it says 170mm Max. But anyway, any input would be appreciated. I can hardly find review on it. The few videos I did say they’ve had issues with the brakes/pivots/cranks, etc?? Thanks!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The 170mm max limit is for warranty purposes. A 180 will fit but but will void the frame warranty. It's also not outside the realms of possibility that Trek looked at longer forks when they designed the Rail and decided that 180mm was detrimental to the handling...

Djlcater

Mar 22, 2020
Uk
Hey how are you liking the Rail 5?? I’m seriously considering selling my 19’ Decoy for one very soon. But I wanted to put a 180mm Fox 38 Ebike fork I have in it on it and I’m confused why according to Trek it says 170mm Max. But anyway, any input would be appreciated. I can hardly find review on it. The few videos I did say they’ve had issues with the brakes/pivots/cranks, etc?? Thanks!
Love mine, I have changed a few bits though. Upgraded the fork to a Yari, brakes to slx and have a set of carbon Bontrager wheels with SE5 tyres and rimpact set up tubeless. The bike geometry is spot on and the motor is brilliant!
I would recommend making sure all the bolts are checked and torqued properly, but I’ve had no issues at all regarding pivots & cranks (I did check all the bolts and crank myself before I stated riding).

I would definitely advise to buy, especially as you’re upgrading the fork, I’ll upgrade to shimano once the sram wears out but had no issues with shifting so no big hurry!

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US
Love mine, I have changed a few bits though. Upgraded the fork to a Yari, brakes to slx and have a set of carbon Bontrager wheels with SE5 tyres and rimpact set up tubeless. The bike geometry is spot on and the motor is brilliant!
I would recommend making sure all the bolts are checked and torqued properly, but I’ve had no issues at all regarding pivots & cranks (I did check all the bolts and crank myself before I stated riding).

I would definitely advise to buy, especially as you’re upgrading the fork, I’ll upgrade to shimano once the sram wears out but had no issues with shifting so no big hurry!
That’s definitely good to hear! I was getting worried this bike was not worth the price tag. The geometry is a big factor for me. I’m a bit lost on some of Treks sizes. I’m seeing M/L on some bikes, but not the rail? I’m about 5’9-5’10, and go between medium and large. The Decoy is a great bike. But even in a size large, the steep seat tube angle, slammed fork top tube, super low BB, and really short reach make me feel like I’m riding some strange oversized road/XC bike. Ive never had knee or wrist pain until the Decoy. I’m not as happy with the Shimano motor compared to the Bosch either. I find myself needing to shift constantly. Never had that issue on my older Haibike Xduro. I prefer to ride with the saddle about level with the bars or even lower at times. But I’m sure I’ll have to compromise somewhere even on a Rail with geometry.

Djlcater

Mar 22, 2020
Uk
That’s definitely good to hear! I was getting worried this bike was not worth the price tag. The geometry is a big factor for me. I’m a bit lost on some of Treks sizes. I’m seeing M/L on some bikes, but not the rail? I’m about 5’9-5’10, and go between medium and large. The Decoy is a great bike. But even in a size large, the steep seat tube angle, slammed fork top tube, super low BB, and really short reach make me feel like I’m riding some strange oversized road/XC bike. Ive never had knee or wrist pain until the Decoy. I’m not as happy with the Shimano motor compared to the Bosch either. I find myself needing to shift constantly. Never had that issue on my older Haibike Xduro. I prefer to ride with the saddle about level with the bars or even lower at times. But I’m sure I’ll have to compromise somewhere even on a Rail with geometry.
I ride a large at 5,7” but have long legs/arms for my hight and it fits me fine, if I got a medium I’d have shed loads of seat post and a too aggressive position for me. See if you can get a demo, if your near Bristol you can demo one for free at the Trek store in Clifton.

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US
I ride a large at 5,7” but have long legs/arms for my hight and it fits me fine, if I got a medium I’d have shed loads of seat post and a too aggressive position for me. See if you can get a demo, if your near Bristol you can demo one for free at the Trek store in Clifton.
I live in the states and can’t even find one within a reasonable distance. I can order one online, but made that mistake with the Decoy. But that does help knowing the size/height. I’m guessing I’ll need at least a large. Thanks again for the info!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm 5'9(and a quarter) and I ride a Medium Rail and it also fits me fine. I demo'd Decoys last year and the large felt wrong, like I was perched on top of it and the medium was spot on. I do have quite short legs though.

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US
I'm 5'9(and a quarter) and I ride a Medium Rail and it also fits me fine. I demo'd Decoys last year and the large felt wrong, like I was perched on top of it and the medium was spot on. I do have quite short legs though.
Yes!! That’s exactly what I was trying to spit out in my long post about the way it feels lol. I actually planned on getting a medium, but was told by YT that it would be way too small for me. After getting the large I assumed a medium would be even worse. I have never ridden a bike that’s supposed to be an “E-Enduro” feel so awkward. I’m really debating if I should even try the new 180 Fox fork I bought specifically to just raise the front end and bar height up a bit which might make the “perch” feeling worse potentially. Or just take a hit on selling the Decoy and get the Rail. For all the online reviews and YouTube videos of the Decoy, I can’t believe no one else had similar issues. If you remember, does the Rail at least have a somewhat higher BB then the Decoy? Tired of bashing nice pedals in spots I never did before

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The Decoy awesome. Except for the motor.

I just didn't like the Shimano motor. I can't put my finger on why other than it just feels too "natural". With the Bosch you get a kick in the pants and you know you're riding an eBike, the Shimano just didn't feel the same. If the Duck came with a Bosch I'd be sold. It's not just the Duck that feels that way either; every Shimano motor I've ridden has felt the same. It does have better connectivity though.

I am in the process of mulletting my Rail, just waiting for an opportunity to get the wheel size changed to 27.5 before I hit the trails. I have no idea how it will perform, but I know I'll have fun finding out!

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US
The Decoy awesome. Except for the motor.

I just didn't like the Shimano motor. I can't put my finger on why other than it just feels too "natural". With the Bosch you get a kick in the pants and you know you're riding an eBike, the Shimano just didn't feel the same. If the Duck came with a Bosch I'd be sold. It's not just the Duck that feels that way either; every Shimano motor I've ridden has felt the same. It does have better connectivity though.

I am in the process of mulletting my Rail, just waiting for an opportunity to get the wheel size changed to 27.5 before I hit the trails. I have no idea how it will perform, but I know I'll have fun finding out!
I would definitely consider doing a mullet set up. That is the Decoy’s saving grace for me anyway. Definitely update when you do. I may even have a Rail by then. Good luck!

duri1

Nov 3, 2020
Slovakia
Definitely go size up to L. I'm 5'9 and I ride Rail 5 in Large and fits great.

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
I have normal Lyrik on my Nomad and compared to that Rail's Yari chassis also has different lower legs. Biggest difference is length so changing fork to standard you will alter the geo of the bike.
Did you consider the leg (length) difference might have something to do with comparing a 27.5" Lyrik to a 29" Yari?

davem85

Feb 1, 2021
Germany
This may be a dumb question, but I want to install a Fox 38 on my Rail and took off the old Gold 35 yesterday. Apart from a broken knock block top cap the bearings seem fine. I'm not quite sure what to do with the crown race. Seems impossible to be removed. There's a replacement kit from Trek for the whole headset - the single crown race is out of stock everywhere.
But do I need really this? Is it possible to get off the old fork undamaged? And should you reuse it?

Cheers!

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
This may be a dumb question, but I want to install a Fox 38 on my Rail and took off the old Gold 35 yesterday. Apart from a broken knock block top cap the bearings seem fine. I'm not quite sure what to do with the crown race. Seems impossible to be removed. There's a replacement kit from Trek for the whole headset - the single crown race is out of stock everywhere.
But do I need really this? Is it possible to get off the old fork undamaged? And should you reuse it?

Cheers!

look for the notch generally on the back of the race, use a small enough screwdriver and wedge it there with a mallet or hammer. It should pop up a bit and work your way around the race till it’s free. Putting a few drops of oil around race wouldn’t hurt either.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles